more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gary Speed has died (merged thread)

Started by epsomraver, November 27, 2011, 12:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

Quote from: leonffc on November 28, 2011, 12:09:58 AM
Rumours say it wasn't depression CH. As I say, rumours (maybe slurs) so I'm not putting them on here, FB or anywhere. They kinda make sense and tally with my original suspicions and not one fellow pro / friend has come out and said he suffered with the 'silent killer'.
What ever the real truth, Gary Speed was a top top player that I always admired. RIP Gary Speed.

Leon - I appreciate what you say and inevitably there are always going to be rumours and innuendoes when a death such as this occurs. Maybe what you are saying is the truth but this does not diminish the sadness and hopelessness of suicide. If Gary's death makes just one person consider the futility of what they propose to do, then his death will not be in vain, regardless of whether Gary took his life for depression or for some other reason. Whatever the motive, suicide is not the answer. As I can testify, with the love and support of people around you, no matter how dire the situation, you can work around it. Gary, alas, did not choose to do this and the world is a lesser place because of it
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

leonffc

I totally understand what you are saying Mr Hat and I spent yesterday wondering what mental anguish the poor man was going through to end it that way. A terrible terrible loss.
And from your previous post, I can only try and understand what depression is like John. Hopefully I won't have the dreadful experience of fully understanding.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

I knew someone who hung himself, and was found by his young daughter. She still hasn't recovered 5 yrs on, and maybe never will.   I hope this wasn't the case here.

Logicalman

Quote from: os5889 on November 27, 2011, 01:42:43 PM
The spontaneityof the Swansea and Villa fans, players and Staff to turn a minutes silence into a minutes applause and song brought a tear to my eye.

Shay Given in tears, and not the only one.

The first I heard of it was when they showed the game live over here.

The words shocked and stunned do not do service to the way I felt hearing this news, and, as you say, the spontaneous applause and singing by the Swansea fans was more than just emotional, it was a very fitting tribute to a lovely man, and an ambassador for the beautiful game.

No matter the circumstances of how he died, this world and the footballing world in particular, lost something special yesterday, and the response to his death, I hope, gives the family some comfort in their grief.

Snibbo

I know Crispin Thomas from his Footballpoetry website, and have become friendly with him over the net.

He's written what I think is a lovely poem about Gary Speed. I've copied the page below:

God Speed

this is no time to speculate
to wring our hands nor remonstrate
for words fall short and come  too late
now Gary Speed has gone

time now to think on all he gave 
the way he cut and carved a swathe
commanding stylish ever brave
his mem'ry will go on
the cries of Speedo from the crowd
who'd chant and sing his name out loud
who clapped through silence with heads bowed
he would have smiled at that

I watched him chat on Saturday
so bright and cheeful   clear as day
but when the message came my way
I felt I'd lost a friend
a shining star  who played football
and though we'd never met at all
I cried inside and felt so small
and cannot comprehend

this is no time to celebrate
it feels too soon ..but he was great
and hearing stories friends relate 
they help now Gary's gone

© CT11 (Crispin Thomas)

God Speed...Gary Speed RIP. From everyone at Football Poets our love and thoughts to his family and nearest and dearest. So sad today.
If you have any memories of Gary and can put something into verse or prose..please send them in.."

http://www.footballpoets.org/p.asp?Id=28027

os5889

:dft004:

Still stunned, strangely sums up how I feel.