Gary Speed has died (merged thread)

Started by epsomraver, November 27, 2011, 12:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Inglis

Such horrible news, thoughts with his family
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

Burt

From the BBC:

Wales football manager Gary Speed has died at the age of 42.

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) has told the BBC it appears Speed, the national manager for nearly a year, killed himself.

Cheshire Police confirmed he was found dead at 07:08 GMT at his home in Huntington, Chester. They said there were no suspicious circumstances.

First Minister Carwyn Jones called it "devastating news" and said he was deeply saddened.

He said: "Our thoughts are with his family at what must be a very difficult time for them."

The FAW said: "We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family.

"We ask that everyone respects the family's privacy at this very sad time."

The FAW added: "That this tragedy should have overtaken someone so young and talented is a huge loss not only for his family and friends but a nation as a whole."

Speed, who was awarded the MBE in the 2010 Birthday Honours, leaves a wife and two children.

Phil Pritchard, FAW president, said they would do "whatever we can" to help Speed's family.

Continue reading the main story Follow this story on Twitter @bbcwales
In a statement, Cheshire Police said: "At 7.08am on Sunday 27th November Cheshire Police was informed of a sudden death at an address in Huntington in Chester.

Speed signed for Newcastle for £5.5m in 1998 "Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead.

"The next of kin have been informed and have confirmed the identity of the man as Gary Speed.

85 caps

"There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and the family have requested that they are left in peace to grieve at this difficult time."

Police said a family tribute will be issued later.

Speed had appeared on BBC1's Football Focus show on Saturday afternoon, just hours before his death.

Footballers, celebrities and politicians began issuing tributes within minutes of the news.

Former Wales team mate, Robbie Savage, Tweeted: "The world has lost a great man in Gary speed I'm devastated spoke to him yesterday morning why ! Why. Why !! I'll miss him so much x

"He come to watch strictly 3/4 weeks ago I high fived him in the front row he loved the show ,he loved life he loved his family ! Devastated".

Welsh Secretary Cheryl Gillan tweeted: "This is a sad day for football and for everyone in Wales.

"Gary Speed served club and country as a player and manager with great distinction."

Andrew RT Davies, Welsh Conservatives leader, said: "Gary Speed was tremendously gifted and I - along with millions of others - will always remember him as a legend in the game of football."

Welsh Liberal Democrats leader, Kirsty Williams, said: "It is a terrible, terrible shock. A tragedy for the Speed family and a tragedy for Welsh football."

Plaid Cymru leader Ieuan Wyn Jones said the "whole nation is in shock", adding: "He will never be forgotten."

Speed, born in Mancot, Flintshire, took over the Wales job in December 2010, and earlier this month, said the side's rapid improvement had exceeded all expectations.

A 4-1 friendly win over Norway represented a third successive win for Wales, and Speed's fifth in 10 games as manager.

At the time, he said: "We've progressed further than I'd have thought in this space of time but we've still got a lot of work to do."

'Stunned and saddened'

Speed won 85 caps for his country during a 14-year international career.

He was given the top job in Welsh football despite only having four months managerial experience.

Speed began his playing career at Leeds United after coming through the trainee ranks, and was part of the side that won the last Football League title in 1992, before the introduction of the Premier League.

A Leeds spokesman said the club was "stunned and saddened" by the news.

He was handed his Wales debut as a 20-year-old in the 1-0 friendly win over Costa Rica in May 1990.

He left Leeds in 1996 after 312 appearances to join Everton - who he went on to captain - in a £3.5m move.

Seven goals

Newcastle followed, in a £5.5m switch in 1998. During his six years with the Magpies, he suffered two FA Cup final defeats, but enjoyed a taste of Champions League football.

He then spent four years with Bolton Wanderers after agreeing a £750,000 move.

Speed became the first player to reach 500 Premier League appearances.

He retired from international duty in 2004, having scored seven goals and captaining his country 44 times.

Speed's final appearance came in 3-2 World Cup qualifying defeat by Poland in October 2004.

His tally of 85 caps is a record for an outfield player.

Burt

Shocking news... RIP Mr Speed, and condolences to your nearest and dearest.

cutbushcitylimits

I was asked just last week in a pub chat .."which player would you have liked to see in a fulham shirt"....

No prizes for what my answer was.

Absolutley gutted and saddened for his family friends etc.

RIP Gary

Lighthouse

Quote from: os5889 on November 27, 2011, 02:33:52 PM
This was touching

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15910765.stm

Very moving and well observed as usual. I was wondering when it became the done thing to applaud during a minutes silence? Has sort of crept into our traditions from overseas. Very nice though.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

os5889

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 27, 2011, 02:45:23 PM
Quote from: os5889 on November 27, 2011, 02:33:52 PM
This was touching

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15910765.stm

Very moving and well observed as usual. I was wondering when it became the done thing to applaud during a minutes silence? Has sort of crept into our traditions from overseas. Very nice though.

Expect nothing less for a Welsh Idol in Wales, interesting to see how Anfield reacts, Bellamy has asked not to play it seems That said they do seem to follow tradition well.

Senior Supporter

Very, very sad. He was a great player, and apparently a fine man. RIP Gary. I believe he was a good friend of Cookie, wasn't he.

White Noise

Very sad indeed.

Very poignant that this week Stan Collymore wrote movingly about his battle with depression, its impact on players and suffering this week with his worst ever bout. The Secret Footballer also wrote about it in The Guardian on Friday. Anyone who has read David Frith's 'By his own hand' about the many suicides in cricket over the last 150 years will recognise that professional sports people often find it very difficult to cope when their playing days end.

Gary Speed was a fine man and gave a great deal to the game he loved. He had a full life and leaves a genuine legacy. RIP

Meerkat

So shocked Gary Speed was a great player, professional and gentleman, how sad he felt he  couldn't turn to anybody .

My condolences and thoughts go out to his family.  R.I.P

fulham pete

Everybody in my local shocked by the news. cannot remember any other time when the whole place stood in silence like it did before kick off today.

Love and peace to his family

MrFantastic

I still remember Gary Speed playing for Newcasel and Bolton can't believe this happened, it is hard for me to see any player retire from playing from football and to see player die so young still, rest in peace there is only one Gary Speed. Here is his last interview only hours before his death
Gary Speed last interview on Football Focus (8 September 1969 -- 27 November 2011)
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.

os5889

Quote from: MrFantastic on November 27, 2011, 07:30:18 PM
I still remember Gary Speed playing for Newcasel and Bolton can't believe this happened, it is hard for me to see any player retire from playing from football and to see player die so young still, rest in peace there is only one Gary Speed. Here is his last interview only hours before his death
Gary Speed last interview on Football Focus (8 September 1969 -- 27 November 2011)

That for me is what makes it more shocking, still gutted !

CULTUREVULTURE

A really solid, decent professional. Of all the occasions I saw him play for Newcastle or Bolton I can't remember him being anything less than a decent, honest sportsman and totally professional. I watched the England v Wales game recently and it looked like he was getting them playing decent football.

This is such a sad situation. A stark reminder that football is not always the be all and end all.

The Bronsons

Always liked him as a player and a good pro. Such a shame, and my thoughts are with his wife and children - a devastating loss for them, and only hope all the tributes to him from his friends, colleagues and fans of all clubs help them come to terms with what has happened.

Mr Fulham

I'm devastated. Just got the news and I'm shocked. RIP.

CorkedHat

This is terribly sad and depression is a vile illness. Where I live, suicide is all too common. Farmers who toil night and day only to find their crops ruined by drought, fire, mice or locusts just can't take it any longer. Our television screens are inundated with commercials for suicide prevention and I know farmers who if they have one more bad crop have chosen the tree into which they will drive as fast as they can.
I think the important thing is to seek help. Organisations are becoming more efficient at dealing with these sort of problems and as Michael Read will tell you we had a campaign in Australia called "R U O K?" where people were urged to ask their neighbours and workmates if they were okay?
Although Michael and I supported this campaign there were many others who thought it was too flippant or unlikely to work, but if you do nothing then people will continue to take their own lives.
Those of you who read my book will know that I stood on the precipice of suicide and it was something that two girls in my office said to me that drew me away again. Those words were, "There's a lot of love in this place for you," and suddenly I realised that taking my own life would actually hurt some people that I left behind.
We are sad and we didn't know Gary Speed personally. Imagine how those who loved him are feeling right now.
RIP Gary

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Admin

I feel for his familly as well, right on top of Christmas. Was gutted whn i heard the news still feel a bit numb now.

leonffc

Rumours say it wasn't depression CH. As I say, rumours (maybe slurs) so I'm not putting them on here, FB or anywhere. They kinda make sense and tally with my original suspicions and not one fellow pro / friend has come out and said he suffered with the 'silent killer'.
What ever the real truth, Gary Speed was a top top player that I always admired. RIP Gary Speed.

HatterDon

Quote from: CorkedHat on November 27, 2011, 11:32:03 PM
This is terribly sad and depression is a vile illness. Where I live, suicide is all too common. Farmers who toil night and day only to find their crops ruined by drought, fire, mice or locusts just can't take it any longer. Our television screens are inundated with commercials for suicide prevention and I know farmers who if they have one more bad crop have chosen the tree into which they will drive as fast as they can.
I think the important thing is to seek help. Organisations are becoming more efficient at dealing with these sort of problems and as Michael Read will tell you we had a campaign in Australia called "R U O K?" where people were urged to ask their neighbours and workmates if they were okay?
Although Michael and I supported this campaign there were many others who thought it was too flippant or unlikely to work, but if you do nothing then people will continue to take their own lives.
Those of you who read my book will know that I stood on the precipice of suicide and it was something that two girls in my office said to me that drew me away again. Those words were, "There's a lot of love in this place for you," and suddenly I realised that taking my own life would actually hurt some people that I left behind.
We are sad and we didn't know Gary Speed personally. Imagine how those who loved him are feeling right now.
RIP Gary

Brilliant, sir, and thank you.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel