watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Ipods

Started by Gozorich, December 01, 2011, 01:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gozorich

I am thinking of getting my other half an ipod or something similar for Christmas. I know absolutely Zilch about these things (I'm still trying to find a stylus for my Bang & Olufsen turntable).
She will not have thousands of songs on board more like hundreds.
Any recommendations would be gratefully accepted. :drums:

BalDrick

I'm not sure people buy iPods these days, just seem to use their phones which, if they're relatively new, should be able to hold hundreds of songs, if not thousands. One less thing to carry for a start.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Ron Sheepskin

Quote from: BalDrick on December 01, 2011, 02:23:47 PM
I'm not sure people buy iPods these days, just seem to use their phones which, if they're relatively new, should be able to hold hundreds of songs, if not thousands. One less thing to carry for a start.

And much easier than wheeling my old gramophone around.  092.gif
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

WhiteJC

the iPod Nano is worth a look

Jimpav

It depends on if you partner just wants something to store and play music on or if she would use the additional features.

The i-pod is the more traditional mp3 player and will hold thousands and thousands of tracks. You can listen to these on headphones or get a docking station which will charge the ipod and play tracks via a loud speaker. You can also connect this up to hifi (If you have separates) and play this through your own speakers for much better sound. The i-pods have a few nice features - you can get album art work so when you scroll through it has the album covers for each album, you can also get tv programmes and films on there if downloaded from i-tunes. Good for flights or long car journeys.

If your partner would essentially like an i-phone but without the expensive contract and ability to make phone calls then you should look at the i-pod touch. This offers a lot less capacity than the i-pod but you would still get around 1700 songs upwards. In addition to the music player you would have wifi meaning you can use the internet from the device and  or check e-mail when in a wifi zone (or at home). You can download music and films directly to the i-touch or download games that can then be played without internet connection.

You could also look at the i-pod nano a minature version of the i-pod but without the video or a. This is pocket sized and would hold enough music for your partner. You also have the touch screen plus the advantage of a built in FM radio so good if you are out and about.

Even smaller and more basic is the shuffle. No screen or gimmicks. Just a dinky music player that will hold a few hundred songs.

Hope this helps.

Gozorich

Many thanks for all your replys and especially Jimpav for going into so much detail. I will definitely be looking at the bottom end of the market as I think the usual i-pod sounds too sophisticated for what is needed. :54:

Oakeshott

Gozorich

I have a Zen X-Fi which has one advantage over most mp3 players such as Apple ipods - it has a small in-built speaker so one can play it without having to listen through headphones or ear pieces. Obviously with such a small item the speaker doesn't give the same quality of sound that one gets playing it (or an ipod) through a docking station, but I find it perfectly acceptable when I'm sitting in the garden.

Obviously if, like many, your wife intends to listen mainly while travelling, the speaker is an irrelevance and the Zen has no advantage over the ipod.

The Bronsons

I'm with Baldrick on this. Just upgrade your wife's phone and forget about a dedicated music player. My Blackberry plays music, shows album art etc. - and it has a speaker if I don't have my headphones.

And if you really want an MP3 player, avoid i-Anything because they are horribly overpriced and tie you in to bespoke file formats. Apple is evil.