watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bryan Ruiz's Farewell

Started by AlFayedsChequebook, December 01, 2011, 02:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

It has been interesting to see that Twente are having a big farewell to Bryan pre-match tonight.

They are even selling goodbye scarves.

It got me thinking - have there been players at Fulham who have been treated in this way? Usually when a player in his prime moves to another club, he is ridiculed and hounded by fans. Twente have impressed me with their gracious goodbye and thankyou.

Ron Sheepskin

McBride? It must be a Bryan/Brian thing.

I for one celebrated when we waved goodbye to that t***er Bullard.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Ron Sheepskin

d'oh. Note to self - read the thread properly.

McBride wasn't really in his prime by then. How about Edwin?
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

LBNo11

...quite a few, certainly in recent years Paul Peschisolido, Sean Davies (on one occassion), Steve Finnan and Geoff Horsfield...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on December 01, 2011, 02:39:54 PM
McBride? It must be a Bryan/Brian thing.

I for one celebrated when we waved goodbye to that t***er Bullard.

In a way.

Although, McBride left at the end of his career.

I am thinking about people leaving during their peak years, like Saha

BalDrick

Real shame all the rubbish that went on with Saha because, albeit briefly when not injured, he did approach legendary status. I still applaud him when he comes on against us.

As said above, the Mac did leave at the end of his career but he was an immense player.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

aussierod

The hard thing is, most players leave us out of prime or to our competitors in the league, the Ruiz thing is slightly different as he's not going to really ever play against his former club and have that competitive passionate streak against them if that makes any sense....
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

epsomraver

Quote from: BalDrick on December 01, 2011, 02:49:19 PM
Real shame all the rubbish that went on with Saha because, albeit briefly when not injured, he did approach legendary status. I still applaud him when he comes on against us.

As said above, the Mac did leave at the end of his career but he was an immense player.

I would not ever applaud Saha, he threatened to go on strike if we did not let him go, sorry no applause for him

Irelands_number1

Quote from: epsomraver on December 01, 2011, 04:34:09 PM

I would not ever applaud Saha, he threatened to go on strike if we did not let him go, sorry no applause for him

I'm the same! I absolutely despise him! i can honestly say when he got injured against us I was genuinely happy(think it was last season)

ron

We were dancing in the streets when Frank Large went, but I don't think that's the same kind of thing somehow.

Lighthouse

Quote from: ron on December 01, 2011, 08:12:01 PM
We were dancing in the streets when Frank Large went, but I don't think that's the same kind of thing somehow.

I wasn't. I took to my bed for days when Frank Large left. He silky skills and deft touch always gave all those present an idea that they too could one day become footballers.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Burt

Seems to me we never really get the opportunity to provide a good send off to those who have been great servants.

Saha queered his pitch, as noted above. And more recently we never had the opportunity to say cheerio to Pantsil, Gera etc.

SKSW6

Quote from: epsomraver on December 01, 2011, 04:34:09 PM

Add to that the way he celebrated like a man possessed when he scored against us last season at Goodison. I admit I kind of lost my rag a bit at the game when he did that and wasn't too complimentary when he then stayed down after a challenge...

SHADY1

He got an amazing send off ... he was introduced and the whole ground stood and sung his name while he did a complete lap of the ground holding a bunch of flowers many of their fans held up cards i think with his face on it was hard to tell ... when he reached our section we all sung his name from the gods which he heard and raised a hand of acknowedgment  BUT it was clear where his heart is hopefully one day we will have the same feelings towards someone with potential who is clearly a legend in the Twente fans eyes..
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...