News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Name the players from their autographs - and which year...

Started by LBNo11, December 03, 2011, 05:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Doctor

What a wonderful find.  Do my eyes deceive me, or has one of the players suffixed himself as "Trainee"?!  I hope I'm not giving too much away when I say you wouldn't find such modesty in the modern game

LBNo11

...sorry Jon, not the case, that is the signature of Frank Penn, who was our trainer back then...

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

LBNo11

Quote from: sunburywhite on December 03, 2011, 06:32:08 PM
1950?

...well done Michael :medal:! 1949-50 season.

Now it should be easier to name some of them...

Burt

Travers Barney

And a great great servant Mr Penn was too LB.

Hope that your mate has now patched up things with his wife Doc!

We are the whites
We are the whites

Travers Barney

Quested and Taylor..Old Corked Hat appreciated that pairing I'm sure....I notice Bob Thomas on the top left...I thought he was from an earlier era so shows you what I know.

Will forward this to my Dad...he doesn't remember much these days but i reckon he will be able to identify most on that listing.

We are the whites.
We are the whites

ron

Quote from: The Doctor on December 03, 2011, 05:36:37 PM
What a wonderful find.  Do my eyes deceive me, or has one of the players suffixed himself as "Trainee"?!  I hope I'm not giving too much away when I say you wouldn't find such modesty in the modern game

...a trainee once upon a time ....but Frank Penn spent the thick end of half a century at the Cottage !

Scrumpy

Great find L.B.

First season ever in the top division. Average home gate of just over 30k - our biggest ever.

I can make out..

Bob Thomas
Harry Wallbanks
Joe Bacuzzi
Len Quested
Frank Penn
Jim Taylor
Pat Beasley
Beddy Jezzard
Arthur Stevens
Harry Ayres
David Bewley
Larry Gage

All good men  :Haynes The Maestro:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

MOR :

Right Back-Joe Bacuzzi, Len Quested-Right Half, David Bewley-Left Half and one of my Dad's favourites Arthur Stevens-Outside Right.

CorkedHat

Quote from: Travers Barney on December 03, 2011, 09:08:57 PM
Quested and Taylor..Old Corked Hat appreciated that pairing I'm sure....I notice Bob Thomas on the top left...I thought he was from an earlier era so shows you what I know.

Will forward this to my Dad...he doesn't remember much these days but i reckon he will be able to identify most on that listing.

We are the whites.

Quite right Mr Travers - what a duo. Both English International class. Did I ever tell you that I have never forgiven Fulham for getting rid of Len Quested a few months after I started going to their matches and thinking Len Quested was the best thing since since Johnny Mack Brown? :005:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

CorkedHat

I notice that Cliff Lloyd has his autograph on there which is a little strange as he left Fulham FC in 1946 as evidenced by the following excerpt taken from the excellent website, "Where are they now?"

LLOYD, Cliff. Wrexham, Fulham (1937-1946) Made only a handful of League appearances, but will always be remembered for his contribution to the PFA where he was Secretary between 1953 and 1981, lived in retirement near Chester until his death in January 2003 aged 83.
Updated: 16-03-10 Neil Fissler

Also there is the signature of Bob Thomas. When I worked in an ad agency in Holborn a messenger came in delivering a parcel. My despatch manager said to me, "You'd know that bloke wouldn't you?" I looked at this dishevelled man and replied that I hadn't clapped eyes on him in my life.
The despatch manager said; "I thought you supported Fulham. That's Bob Thomas who used to play for you."
I can't imagine that happening today.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Blimy LB have you been clearing the loft out  :dft012:
The signatures are very clear, they don't make paper and ink like they used to do they ??
Great find, what are you going to do with it ????

CorkedHat

Ron Lewin is also there. He made about 40 appearances before ending up at Gillingham

Travers Barney

Whilst I know some of you will be aware but for those that don't Arthur Stevens daughter Maureen still serves the Club as a steward on the Motspur Park supporters coach to away games.

We are the whites
We are the whites

CorkedHat

Arthur Stevens was an out and out gentleman and a credit to Fulham. He would give up his time freely to come and coach us kids at our club in Putney and if you were lucky enough you were able to walk with him through Bishops Park on a match day having a great old yarn with him.  :down_under: