watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham vs Liverpool.

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, December 03, 2011, 06:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Now, it's not often that I do a big post like I'm about to, it's long over due.

Liverpool are without, statisically, the best tackler in the league on Monday and I feel that the Liverpool midfield may be vulnerable and as we all know, this is where games are won and lost. Newspapers are saying that Lucas' replacement in the middle will be Jay Spearing or Jordan Henderson, if I were Martin Jol, I would tell his CM (whether it be Steve Sidwell or Dickson Etuhu) to constantly pressure and stick very tight to this man.

I think we all want to a more attacking side to Fulham, but I do feel we can't commit too many forward when it comes to attacking. This Liverpool side with Maxi, Bellamy and Suarez are deadly on the counter attack. This isn't me saying we should play as conservative as we did against Twente.

Defending from the attack is also key. If we stop the ball coming to Bellamy, Suarez, Adam and Bellamy, they will have to come deeper to attack which makes life easier for the defence. Now I believe Ruiz should start. Had a good game vs Arsenal and is getting better with every game, he works hard which is something hard to find in a South American flair footballer.

Schwarzer
Baird Senderos Hangeland Riise
Ruiz Murphy Etuhu Dempsey
Dembele Zamora

Subs; Etheridge, Hughes, Briggs, Sidwell (if fit), Kasami, Frei, AJ.

Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
Kuyt Henderson Adam Downing
Bellamy Suarez

Subs; Doni, Carragher, Kelly, Coates, Spearing, Shelvey, Carroll.

Now as much as I want a Fulham win, I can't see it happening, which is actually a good thing because I can always trust my boys in White to surprise me. I'm going for a 1-1 draw.

Burt

Whilst our home form hasn't been all that we have actually played quite well, and lady luck is due in town soon so you never know...

Agree about Ruiz starting and pressurizing the midfield.

I am too not convinced that we will get much from this, but it surely can't be as bas as last seasons fixture.

ImperialWhite

Good write up, thanks. We ought to do more of them really (note to self, will try to do one for our next game).

The RAWK view:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=283529.0

They expect 3 points from this. I agree. Won't be anywhere near a thrashing though, 0-1 would be my prediction.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 03, 2011, 07:16:28 PM
Good write up, thanks. We ought to do more of them really (note to self, will try to do one for our next game).

The RAWK view:

They expect 3 points from this. I agree. Won't be anywhere near a thrashing though, 0-1 would be my prediction.

Cheers, well I think we play Swansea next, the Barcelona of the Premier League. A lot to be said, I think this will be our toughest away game of the season, we won't see much of the ball.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: Burt on December 03, 2011, 07:13:35 PM
Whilst our home form hasn't been all that we have actually played quite well, and lady luck is due in town soon so you never know...

Agree about Ruiz starting and pressurizing the midfield.

I am too not convinced that we will get much from this, but it surely can't be as bas as last seasons fixture.

Yes, we do need some luck, especially with looking at the month we have ahead of us.

TonyGilroy

For whatever reason we're getting nothing from Zamora. If he's not fit there's no point in playing him and if he's having a strop Jol needs to assert authority.

I'd play

Schwarzer

Baird  Hughes Hangeland Riise

Etuhu Murphy

Ruiz  Kasami  Dembele

Dempsey

We've paid good money for Ruiz and Kasami and we need to give them a proper opportunity. They ought to provide a damn sight more pace, invention and movement than we saw on Thursday.

RidgeRider

The RAWK view:

Pretty arrogant group to be honest. I read a couple of pages and there was virtually nothing about us. I would love to thrash them but odds are we'll draw with them or lose by a goal.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: RidgeRider on December 03, 2011, 08:05:24 PM

The RAWK view:

Pretty arrogant group to be honest. I read a couple of pages and there was virtually nothing about us. I would love to thrash them but odds are we'll draw with them or lose by a goal.

True. But that could be said about us most weeks, to be honest. That's why it's good that FPT has written this great piece.

Scrumpy

Some very good points Frankie, which I agree with.

But.....I think Jol has signed players that fit his 'sexy' Dutch formation 4-2-3-1. It's time he stuck with that formation for a run of games, irrespective of whether certain players like it or not.

I think tempo is a big thing. If we can raise our tempo, get in their faces from the off, then we have a chance. We'll concede, but hopefully score a few more.

You whites!!
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: TonyGilroy on December 03, 2011, 07:37:08 PM

For whatever reason we're getting nothing from Zamora. If he's not fit there's no point in playing him and if he's having a strop Jol needs to assert authority.

I'd play

Schwarzer

Baird  Hughes Hangeland Riise

Etuhu Murphy

Ruiz  Kasami  Dembele

Dempsey

Gecov or Briggs in for Riise and you have a revolution. Nice looking team although the pragmatist in us all will say that Riise is too exposed as Dembele will always be somewhere else. Senderos in for Hughes ? Saying all that though if Jol played these and we still lost I would not be as mad as I have over the last couple of 'efforts'.

We've paid good money for Ruiz and Kasami and we need to give them a proper opportunity. They ought to provide a damn sight more pace, invention and movement than we saw on Thursday.

psand22

Let's welcome them to The Cottage with some defensive toughness.  Stick those boots in there, make them receive their passes with their back to goal to slow down their attacks.  Let's play with confidence and not a fear of losing. Yes, its gonna be a tough game, but I feel it's time for a little good fortune. I'd go with:
         Schwarzer
Baird Hughes Hangeland Riise
      Etuhu Murphy
Ruiz  Dembele  Dempsey
          Zamora

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Luis Suarez head is not in a good place
Gerrard and Lucas are injured, Lucas in particular  has been the key to their midfield, without him and Gerrard they can be taken
.........if we can hit the net.

Pata

Losing Lucas is very worrying. Will probably go with Spearing alongside Adam.
Fulham proved to be very vulnerable to mobility in May, so it would make sense to go with a front four of Maxi, Bellamy, Kuyt and Suarez. This "Flying Circus" started only twice together this season - @ Brighton and @ Chelsea - but looked pretty good both times, showing excellent movement and understanding.
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Pata on December 04, 2011, 10:22:34 AM
Fulham proved to be very vulnerable to mobility in May, so it would make sense to go with a front four of Maxi, Bellamy, Kuyt and Suarez. This "Flying Circus" started only twice together this season - @ Brighton and @ Chelsea - but looked pretty good both times, showing excellent movement and understanding.

I think we've learnt our lessons from Citeh/Liverpool, though - we're too old to play a high line.

Liverpool will win 0-1, 0-2 at most.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 04, 2011, 10:40:01 AM

I think we've learnt our lessons from Citeh/Liverpool, though - we're too old to play a high line.

Agree, much with like the Arsenal game where plenty were predicting a thrashing, I think we will probably lose but it wont be by much.

Pata

Possibly from watching Chelsea too, who didn't help themselves by playing a high line against Liverpool.
There is also quite an anomaly this season - Liverpool's away from. 8 wins in 10.
Would take any win tbh and Liverpool need it to keep in touch with the top-6.
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

RidgeRider

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 03, 2011, 08:09:33 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on December 03, 2011, 08:05:24 PM

The RAWK view:

True. But that could be said about us most weeks, to be honest. That's why it's good that FPT has written this great piece.

More I think about it, I agree, our board can look that way as well when we are going to play against teams we should beat or we are on fire....which hasn't been the case for awhile.

RidgeRider

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 04, 2011, 10:43:56 AM

Agree, much with like the Arsenal game where plenty were predicting a thrashing, I think we will probably lose but it wont be by much.

Exactly, I don't think Jol will make the same mistakes Hughes did in this respect. Be nice to have Hodgson for a week.  :dft012: