watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

AJ Tops O'Neill's £20m Sunderland Wishlist

Started by White Noise, December 04, 2011, 07:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/12/04/black-cats-boss-o-neill-targets-aj-with-20m-transfer-kitty-102039-23608471/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Black Cats boss O'Neill targets AJ with £20m transfer kitty

Dec 4 2011 by Alan Oliver, The People

MARTIN O'NEILL will be handed a £20million January war chest – and Andy Johnson is top of his hitlist.

Former Aston Villa boss O'Neill, 59, swept into the Academy of Light training ground yesterday morning for detailed talks with owner Ellis Short and former chairman Niall Quinn.

And the Ulsterman's formal appointment as new gaffer was confirmed at just after 2pm.

Fantastic

O'Neill, who has been out of the game since quitting Villa 16 months ago, said: "It's a very nice feeling to be back in football and to be the manager of Sunderland.

"It's a big moment for me. I heard what a good club it was but after coming here and seeing the stadium and training ground, I've been bowled over. It's absolutely fantastic."

One of O'Neill's first jobs will be to succeed where axed gaffer Steve Bruce failed – by landing a top-quality striker. And he is expected to move for Fulham hitman Johnson, 30, as soon as the transfer window swings open.

O'Neill watched the Cottagers' clash at Arsenal last Saturday, when AJ came on for the last 15 minutes.

Johnson's contract is up at the end of the season and he will be available for a £1m loan fee in January though the player himself would prefer a permanent move.

O'Neill has always liked experienced midfield players and he could also try to tempt Fulham boss Martin Jol with a bid for 34-year-old Danny Murphy.

O'Neill is clearly the man the Sunderland fans wanted to replace Bruce, who was chopped on Wednesday. And now he has arrived at the club he supported as a boy.

He officially moves into the Black Cats hotseat tomorrow but will be at Molineux today to watch his new side take on Wolves.

O'Neill added: "I hope I can help Sunderland to a very successful period. That's what I've come for – that's my driving ambition."

Short said: "Martin has as good a managerial pedigree as you could wish to find. He is a very astute, top-level manager.

"During his time at Aston Villa he established the club firmly in the top 10 of the Premier League year on year and this is something we are striving to achieve at Sunderland.

"Having spoken with him over the last two days I know he is brimming with enthusiasm and anticipation about the challenge of taking Sunderland forward and I believe he is the perfect choice to deliver the success we all desire."

O'Neill is superb at man-management and the first thing he will do having agreed a three-year contract is to assure the Sunderland players they will all start with a clean sheet.

Hinted

The Black Cats faithful will hope O'Neill will bring his backroom team of Steve Walford and John Robertson with him. Cockney boy Walford has been with him through thick and thin, although long-time lieutenant Robertson has indicated he would like to call it a day. The Scot has, however, hinted he would be prepared to work as a part-time consultant.

That's why it is not 100 per cent certain that Bruce's No.2 Eric Black will follow his former boss out of the exit door. Like O'Neill, Black – who looks after the team today – has strong Celtic connections and would like to work with the ex-Parkhead chief.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

I doubt this, ..while he does need strikers he (O'Neill) has been watching AJ as long as we have and will have realise AJ's purple patch has become rather blue. 

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

RidgeRider

Quote from: sunburywhite on December 04, 2011, 09:32:54 AM
I hope he gives us £20m for AJ

When I read the headlines, my initial reaction was the same....for a nanosecond anyway, but the good news is he is being linked with a couple of teams now. Maybe O'Neill sees a fit for AJ in his style and the players he has....you never know.

I can't believe we would get more than 2-5M for him. He needs to score a brace against Liverpool to get that purple patch back and help us with a nice transfer fee  079.gif

After reading the article about his Bentley, its clear his likes to spend money so wages will probably force him to leave anyway because someone will pay him more.

JohnKovacs

It would be scary being a Sunderland supporter if AJ is at the top of your transfer wishlist.....

Burt

A few years ago, maybe...

But it does show limited ambition (or transfer kitty) if AJ is top of the list.

Likewise I would also be surprised if moving in for Murphy was top priority too.