https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham gag players from talking to the press

Started by NorthernWhite, December 04, 2011, 11:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on December 05, 2011, 01:20:21 PM
Quote from: Burt on December 05, 2011, 01:01:55 PM
All this player power nonsense is ticking me off.

Jol is the gaffer.

He has a great track record, probably the most successful manager we have been able to lure to Craven Cottage, so he clearly knows what he is doing.

As such, he has the right to determine the best way to manage the resources he has at his disposal. If that means some players don't like it then they either shut up and step up, or move on out. Moaning to the press, whingeing about it on Twitter etc. is just not professional.

Jol's challenge is that the core of the team are settled and experienced and used to playing the Hodgson/Hughes way. The fact of the matter is that we need to lower the age of the squad, through a phased transition to some of the promising players we have bubbling up under the first team or through the new faces that Jol transfers in to the team.

+1 Mr Burt.

I'd also like to add, the players he transfers into the team either in Jan or the summer, must be ready to play in the Prem, not in two years time, a la Gecov + Kasami.
To be fair to both those players Gecov has not played a minute of lge football and Kasami has played just 237 minutes in the lge. About 30 minutes of that was against Man City and he did ok then.
I would like both to get an extended run in the team to find out what they really have to offer.

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 05, 2011, 01:31:23 PM
Quote from: ClarksOriginal on December 05, 2011, 01:20:21 PM

Jol is the gaffer.

He has a great track record, probably the most successful manager we have been able to lure to Craven Cottage, so he clearly knows what he is doing.

As such, he has the right to determine the best way to manage the resources he has at his disposal. If that means some players don't like it then they either shut up and step up, or move on out. Moaning to the press, whingeing about it on Twitter etc. is just not professional.

Jol's challenge is that the core of the team are settled and experienced and used to playing the Hodgson/Hughes way. The fact of the matter is that we need to lower the age of the squad, through a phased transition to some of the promising players we have bubbling up under the first team or through the new faces that Jol transfers in to the team.

+1 Mr Burt.

I'd also like to add, the players he transfers into the team either in Jan or the summer, must be ready to play in the Prem, not in two years time, a la Gecov + Kasami.

Kasami is premier league ready, unfortunately for him he plays in our most crowded position.

Hmmm, maybe I am being harsh on him then, I do rate him highly. His decision making grates me at times, but that comes with experience I guess.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

Oakeshott

"If Jol leaves this Christmas we'll be relegated"

To survive, one has to be getting a little over a point a game on average, 1.1 or better. We are currently below a point a game (though of course have the opportunity to put that right tonight). Thus if Jol stays, we'll need to see some improvement, but it won't come from buying any more Kasami's, Ruiz's etc., who in fairness to them need time to adjust to the Premiership which January purchases like them won't have. It would, I think, come from playing to our strengths, as we did against QPR.

MJG

Quote from: Oakeshott on December 05, 2011, 01:54:10 PM

To survive, one has to be getting a little over a point a game on average, 1.1 or better. We are currently below a point a game (though of course have the opportunity to put that right tonight). Thus if Jol stays, we'll need to see some improvement, but it won't come from buying any more Kasami's, Ruiz's etc., who in fairness to them need time to adjust to the Premiership which January purchases like them won't have. It would, I think, come from playing to our strengths, as we did against QPR.
like we did at Stoke (the next game)with one change (Grygera out) to the team and lost 2-0. The QPR game, as great as it was, is a one off. Once a season you have a game where it all clicks and that was it.
We have been using the same players, and for a while the same formation, and its been nowhere near being like QPR.

TonyGilroy

If we stay in the Premier League until the end of time we won't meet opposition as weak as QPR were that day.

White Noise

Its clear from these comments from Riise that Jol has made it clear he wants a 'young team'. Isn't that basically putting half the squad on warning that their days are numbered? I guess it depends whether you think it will be a young team with some older players in it or just a young team full stop.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/12/riise-brimming-with-confidence/

BalDrick

Quote from: White Noise on December 05, 2011, 02:39:23 PM
Its clear from these comments from Riise that Jol has made it clear he wants a 'young team'. Isn't that basically putting half the squad on warning that their days are numbered? I guess it depends whether you think it will be a young team with some older players in it or just a young team full stop.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/12/riise-brimming-with-confidence/

God for a moment there, seeing the words Riise and young team, thought it was going to be a piece about Riise jnr. That would be very early preparation for life in the Championship.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

ImperialWhite

Nonsense.

Firstly, 42 is far too high a figure for survival. 36 points will do the majority of PL seasons.

Secondly, looking at our points-per-game average is meaningless without looking at everyone else's. If the ppg average's stay the same, we'll finish 16th. Given that that is our current position and all.

If we sacked managers everytime we hover uncomfortably above the relegation zone, noone would want to work for us. We'd only get shite managers, who would relegate us. That is my logic.

MJG

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 05, 2011, 03:11:35 PM

Nonsense.

Firstly, 42 is far too high a figure for survival. 36 points will do the majority of PL seasons.

Secondly, looking at our points-per-game average is meaningless without looking at everyone else's. If the ppg average's stay the same, we'll finish 16th. Given that that is our current position and all.

If we sacked managers everytime we hover uncomfortably above the relegation zone, noone would want to work for us. We'd only get shite managers, who would relegate us. That is my logic.

What the PPG figure does tell us that we are pretty much stuck here in the bottom six for the rest of the season. To finish say with 48 pts we would need to play like the 7th or 8th best team in the lge for the rest of the season. Which ok we did it last year, but to ask us again to have such a great 2nd half of the season is pushing it.

MJG

Talking of diving did anyone see Larsson's from yesterday for Sunderland. He could win an olympic gold if he took it up as a sport.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: MJG on December 05, 2011, 03:19:37 PM

Nonsense.

What the PPG figure does tell us that we are pretty much stuck here in the bottom six for the rest of the season. To finish say with 48 pts we would need to play like the 7th or 8th best team in the lge for the rest of the season. Which ok we did it last year, but to ask us again to have such a great 2nd half of the season is pushing it.

But at the same time, is anyone really that bothered about it provided  we survive and have an exciting and younger team to try to move forward next season?

In general it seems that Fulham fans are a pretty undemanding lot, as long as people have come down from the pre-season expectations of top half finish

MJG

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 05, 2011, 03:25:03 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 05, 2011, 03:19:37 PM

Nonsense.

But at the same time, is anyone really that bothered about it provided  we survive and have an exciting and younger team to try to move forward next season?

In general it seems that Fulham fans are a pretty undemanding lot, as long as people have come down from the pre-season expectations of top half finish
My target this is year is to stay up, keep the manager, see at least 4 players make it to the starting XI who were not here last season and offload a few of the old pro's who have served us well but their time is up.

And of course win the FA Cup

TonyGilroy

It's a very bunched table - we're 4 points from 9th, 1 if we win tonight, however unlkely that might be.

We won't now finish in the top 7 but we don't have to be much better than most of the rest to finish top 10.

BalDrick

Quote from: MJG on December 05, 2011, 03:23:21 PM
Talking of diving did anyone see Larsson's from yesterday for Sunderland. He could win an olympic gold if he took it up as a sport.

Arsenalesque in its cheatingingness wasn't it? Justice that the pen was saved, albeit I was rooting for Sunderland, who I believe will with a new manager and the players they have finish above us, or very close to, as opposed to Wolves, who I hope and pray will finish several places beneath us and never return to the Prem.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

aussierod

Quote from: TonyGilroy on December 05, 2011, 03:34:24 PM

It's a very bunched table - we're 4 points from 9th, 1 if we win tonight, however unlkely that might be.

We won't now finish in the top 7 but we don't have to be much better than most of the rest to finish top 10.

Agreed. The table is congested and like I and many others have said, if we'd had some luck along the way then we'd be sitting nice and pretty. We should realistically be 4-6pts better than where we are sitting and my belief is that luck evens itself out over the season so although not relying on luck etc, I do believe our second half results will be much better

MJG, I've similar aspirations to you, as I have most years, survival, a few memorable wins against the bigger sides (or perhaps a 6-0 drubbing of one of our neighbours) and a few new stars given a chance to shine. Now we just need that luck where the opposition keeper doesnt have a blinder, we miss an open goal or penalty and we start pushing up the league towards safety. Reach 40+ points and then look where we end up
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

Fusili

Jol is the gaffer.

Well said Mr. Burt   :54:

Lighthouse

I think the problems of Jol will ease once he brings in a couple of forwards who show some willingness to run and play with the rest of the side and play in a formation that Jol wants. Fulham have been looking and been close to buying strikers of good quality way back in Roys time but for some reason have always failed. BZ and the talented but petulant AJ will be shipped off and the team, even Murphy, will feel a little better. The squad is coming together.

I am not a fan of Jol yet but he will not be going anywhere. I think his tactics are suspect and some of  the old guard have no confidence in him. However once you move unhappy players on there will be no need for gag orders or any such nonesense. For goodness sake Jol sort this out in January or we will be playing Championship football next season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope