watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Top 10 things to do while I am in London

Started by RidgeRider, December 09, 2011, 03:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NogoodBoyo

OK Ridge, I promise to read this whole thread and come up with a real game-plan for your trip.  One week in one of the world's greatest cities?  My advice?  Allocate one day to football and the other 6 to history, culture and FOOD.  London is an amazing place if you know what you're looking for.
I just hope I can get to this project before you leave (and I haven't even read when that is). 
Nogood "hold the phone, son, isit" Boyo

RidgeRider

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on December 10, 2011, 12:26:24 AM
OK Ridge, I promise to read this whole thread and come up with a real game-plan for your trip.  One week in one of the world's greatest cities?  My advice?  Allocate one day to football and the other 6 to history, culture and FOOD.  London is an amazing place if you know what you're looking for.
I just hope I can get to this project before you leave (and I haven't even read when that is). 
Nogood "hold the phone, son, isit" Boyo

Thanks Boyo. My flight leaves Tuesday the 13th out of San Francisco, and I arrive at 11AM on the 14th. I am there till the 20th.

FatFreddysCat

No good is definately right about staying North of the River, You dont want to be bumping into EQ and the Slurrey mob in the slums of the SARF. London Eye is the only thing Sarf of the river, and of course being a Londoner i wouldn't dream of doing that. Find the nearest council estate tower block for exactly the same views. North of the river is where its at, ask a black cabbie to take you across the river  064.gif

CorkedHat

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on December 10, 2011, 01:27:13 AM
No good is definately right about staying North of the River, You dont want to be bumping into EQ and the Slurrey mob in the slums of the SARF. London Eye is the only thing Sarf of the river, and of course being a Londoner i wouldn't dream of doing that. Find the nearest council estate tower block for exactly the same views. North of the river is where its at, ask a black cabbie to take you across the river  064.gif

Only two good things ever came out of North London - the M1 and Johnny Haynes 065.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

finnster01

Quote from: CorkedHat on December 10, 2011, 04:55:43 AM

Only two good things ever came out of North London - the M1 and Johnny Haynes 065.gif

:clap_hands: Maybe we could add the old BBC to that list too?  BBC may not be the best looking girl in the media, but she has always been there when you needed her
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

CorkedHat

Quote from: finnster01 on December 10, 2011, 05:09:12 AM

:clap_hands: Maybe we could add the old BBC to that list too?  BBC may not be the best looking girl in the media, but she has always been there when you needed her

I know TV started at Alexandra Palace but I thought that the BBC was in West London. Maybe they've moved although their offices and radio studios are still in the West End surely?
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

finnster01

Quote from: CorkedHat on December 10, 2011, 05:39:28 AM
Quote from: finnster01 on December 10, 2011, 05:09:12 AM

I know TV started at Alexandra Palace but I thought that the BBC was in West London. Maybe they've moved although their offices and radio studios are still in the West End surely?
I think you are right Mr CorkedHat, but I thought I remember a BBC bit in Islington. Could be mistaken though, allthough it was right around the corner from me uncles. Right old gooner he was
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Jimpav

CH is on the money - BBC is just up the road from the Bitters and Westfield in White City/Wood Lane. Broadcasting house (The world service) is just off the Strand/Fleet street near Aussie embassy.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Visit this site :
there are all kinds of guided walks in London including river walks and outside London also
http://www.walks.com/

Wednesday, I would recommend :

THE LONDON TOUR - Westminster & the West End

10.30 am on Wednesdays
from WestminsterTube exit 4
and it is on the District line

After....................go to the National Gallery
The Leonardo da Vinci Ex is on at the moment .................with the two versions of the Virgin on the Rock !!!
this is the site link........................and while you are there go and see my favourite, Turner's The Fighting Temeraire and others
http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/

The National is at the top end of Trafalgar Square..................just a short walk from Leicester Square ,where you can get cheaper tickets  for a show ...go to the booth at the bottom end of the Square, as they have the better seats and deals
this is the one :
http://www.tkts.co.uk/tkts-leicester-square/

.............................oh and don't forget the Butt Butter, but if you do  ...
The Body Shop
http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/services/storelocator/ChooseAddress.aspx?LCID=2057&striFrame=0

epsomraver

Quote from: Jimpav on December 10, 2011, 08:10:30 AM
CH is on the money - BBC is just up the road from the Bitters and Westfield in White City/Wood Lane. Broadcasting house (The world service) is just off the Strand/Fleet street near Aussie embassy.

Not for much longer, they are all moving to Salford Manchester, they have built a huge complex  so the Football lot won't have far to go to worship their heroes
Jack best way to see the sights is go on a sightseeing bus tour, you can get on and off as you please and there is a commentry about each place, If you do the riverside walk stay on the Fulham side and walk through the park, the Putney side is a mud bath at present and you will need boots.

Peabody

Sorry to come a bit late to this. If you do not fancy a long trip on the river but wish to do a shorter trip, can I recommend The London Duck. I tnot only does the well known sites on land, such Houses of P arliment and Downing Street but also enters the river at Lambeth, by the MI6 Building, and goes along the river up to Westminster Bridge and then returns to Lambeth and returns by road to County Hall. The vehicles are old wartime landing craft and whilst it maybe on the expensive side, does give you a different  type of tour.