more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Happy Birthday Maurice Cook

Started by White Noise, December 10, 2011, 01:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

LBNo11

...I didn't see him play, but I know he was appreciated by the V. old sod's army.

In memory of one who wore the White, and did it proud, here is a tribute paid by Corked Hat from his "From Bard To Verse" collection:-

MAURICE COOK
He came to us from Watford
He was an awkward looking bloke
When he made his Fulham debut
We thought he was a joke

But as the months rolled on
His talent came shining through
And the Fulham crowd warmed to him
As Fulham crowds will often do

He scored for us many crucial goals
Not all of them by the book
But he toiled his heart out for Fulham
God bless you Maurice Cook
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

bog

Those in the Old Sod's Army will never forget old Mo. Always gave 100% even if he was not the best we ever had in the number 9 shirt. Best game for us? The 1962 FA cup semi at Villa Park he was brilliant and was robbed rotten of a penalty near the end when Adam Blacklaw flattened he and got away with it. Once he asked for a transfer as he did not think that he was good enough to play with Johnny Haynes. Liked old Mo I did. He came onto the pitch with the other older players on the last game at the Cottage before it became all seater. That may have been his last trip the ground.   

CorkedHat

I had the honour of being asked to write a poem for Maurice (not the one above but a special one) which was read at his funeral. I received a very nice acknowledgement from one of his relatives.
He was all that was good about Fulham and I loved him. A great header of the ball and a great character. 064.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

ron

Quote from: bog on December 10, 2011, 07:11:58 PM
Those in the Old Sod's Army will never forget old Mo. Always gave 100% even if he was not the best we ever had in the number 9 shirt. Best game for us? The 1962 FA cup semi at Villa Park he was brilliant and was robbed rotten of a penalty near the end when Adam Blacklaw flattened he and got away with it. Once he asked for a transfer as he did not think that he was good enough to play with Johnny Haynes. Liked old Mo I did. He came onto the pitch with the other older players on the last game at the Cottage before it became all seater. That may have been his last trip the ground.   

Agreed, agreed, agreed.  An honour to have watched an old warrior like him wear the sacred white shirt. It's only a shame that some of the current players speaking through agents don't have anything approaching the integrity of guys like him.