more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (13/12/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 13, 2011, 07:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Bobby Zamora linked with Aston Villa as Fulham star looks to Euro 2012
Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish is planning a January bid for Fulham's Bobby Zamora, as the striker looks to further his Euro 2012 prospects.

Zamora has something of a frosty relationship with Fulham manager Martin Jol, and was left out of the squad completely for the Cottagers' trip to Swansea on Saturday.

Jol insists that he is just rotating his forward line, which also includes Moussa Dembele, former Everton striker Andy Johnson and £10.6million summer purchase Bryan Ruiz.

Yet Jol's comments also seemed to suggest that Zamora is not putting in the required effort in training, suggesting he may already be thinking of a move.

Jol said: 'Bobby is probably not the best substitute to have on the bench. I made the decision to play Johnson because he works hard in training.'

Having just begun to establish himself in Fabio Capello's England squad, the 30-year-old is believed to be unwilling to take any risks over his chances of making the Euro 2012 squad.

Villa boss Alex McLeish has long been an admirer of Zamora's, having tried to sign him for Birmingham back in 2010. The Villa boss is looking for a strike-partner for Darren Bent, as the side has been lacking in goals all season.

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is also believed to be interested in bringing Zamora back to north London, but the player is unlikely to accept a role as back-up to Emmanuel Adebayor.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/884587-bobby-zamora-linked-with-aston-villa-as-fulham-star-looks-to-euro-2012#ixzz1gOpfaGy2

WhiteJC

Two in Two for Trotta

Marcello Trotta made it two goals in two appearances for Wycombe Wanders on Saturday, as the on-loan Fulham striker netted the in the Chairboys' 3-2 victory over Chesterfield at Adams Park.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/TrottaLoanUpdate.aspx?#ixzz1gOq4Tufh

WhiteJC

Davies set to continue comeback
Simon Davies is hoping to continue his comeback from injury in what is set to be a defining week in Fulham's season.

Welsh midfielder Davies made his comeback from more than five months out with a knee injury in Saturday's 2-0 Premier League defeat at Swansea.

Manager Martin Jol must now decide how big a part the 32-year-old plays in Wednesday night's final Europa League group game with Odense - which Fulham must win to guarantee qualification for the last 32 - and Saturday's league clash with rock-bottom Bolton.

Davies said: "We've got a big week.

"We've got a big one on Wednesday in Europe and Bolton at home on Saturday, so two big matches to take us into Christmas week which hopefully we'll be going into on the back of two good wins."

http://www.football365.com/fulham/7372955/Davies-set-to-continue-comeback?

WhiteJC

Jol eyes Noble signing

Fulham are reportedly interested in handing West Ham midfielder Mark Noble a return to the Premier League in January.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol has made no secret of his desire to bolster the squad at his disposal at Craven Cottage when the transfer window opens next month.

And, it appears he is keeping tabs on 24-year-old Noble, who has 18 months remaining on his current contract at Upton Park but has yet to open negotiations about an extension.

Hammers boss Sam Allardyce will no doubt do his best to keep Noble beyond January as he has played an integral part in the club's march to the automatic promotion places in the Championship.

If the Hammers win promotion back to the Premier League then they could be in a position to offer Noble new terms on top-flight wages. But if they remain in the Championship they could at least still command a fee next summer should he look to depart.

Therefore, Jol will have his work cut out to try and prise the highly-rated player away from their London rivals.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-eyes-noble-signing-1353309.html?

WhiteJC

Villa Bound?

The axing of Bobby Zamora from the eighteen that went to Swansea has reignited all those transfer rumours that were doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago.

The latest club, if the press hounds are to be believed, showing an interest in Bobby are Aston Villa.

The inference being that Alex McLeish is looking to bolster his strike force with the acquisition of another proven striker.

Not sure if there is any real evidence of any real interest from Villa but the grapevine is occasionally proven to be correct.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=265456#ixzz1gOr4j200

WhiteJC

Davies on His Return

The brightest aspect from a dark day in South Wales was the selection of Simon Davies in the starting eleven.

Davies, who had been out for close to six months, was only expected to be on the substitutes` bench but with Danny Murphy out injured was given the nod.

After the loss Simon spoke about his selection and the way the game went, commenting,

"I wasn`t expecting to come back so soon, but after Danny Murphy got injured the manager asked me if I was capable of playing."

"I`m nowhere near where I want to be fitness wise but after a frustrating season it was great to get back."

"It was just a shame about the result. It was very disappointing."

"Swansea kept the ball and defended well but after they scored we really put it on them."

"We had plenty of chances and a draw would have been fair but their keeper had a stormer."

Although some might say we only really showed what we can do once we fell behind and by then time was already running out.

But great to have Davies back though!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=265457#ixzz1gOrIoPUt

WhiteJC

Zamora Recall on the Cards

The strange goings-on with regards to the non-selection of Bobby Zamora for the fixture at Swansea continue.

With a crucial home Europa League fixture against Odense BK coming up this Wednesday evening, there is the suspicion that Zamora will get a recall with the press pundits picking up on the following comment from Martin Jol as meaning he will be recalled,

"He is not the best substitute so I thought I`d wait for the next week and the important games coming up."

Personally, if Zamora is fit I`d start him every time and although the Europa League can provide a fantastic journey, surely the bread and butter of the Premier League and the necessity to collect points is the reason for our existence!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=265458#ixzz1gOrWA8Ii

WhiteJC

Premier League Enterprise Challenge

The Premier League Enterprise Challenge has become an important milestone in the Enterprise Calendar. This year the Challenge took place on the first day of Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW) on 14th November 2011 at Tottenham Hotspur's White Hart Lane.

The Challenge is a yearly competition for Premier League Enterprise Academies (PLEAs), schools and young people to work towards, so they can build on the existing enterprise initiatives delivered by Premier League clubs in Schools.

The Challenge delivers key enterprise messages and provides an opportunity for young people to learn more about different aspects of the football club and departments gaining first-hand experience in the running and functioning of a business organisation.

This year the challenge set by Richard Scudamore, Chief Executive of the Premier League was:

"The Barclays Premier League is one of the most competitive and watched sporting competitions in the world. The Premier League strives to satisfy the justifiably constant demand from League and Club supporters for improved products and services, especially in terms of the match day experience.
‪Taking into consideration new technologies and designs, what would you implement to enhance the supporter/match day experience at Premier League matches?"

Fulham FC Foundation invited local schools to a Enterprise Challenge day in late October at Craven Cottage and the winning team from Raynes Park High school were selected to represent "Team Fulham" at the final.

The group; Alexander, Jack, Ciara, Jessica and Talal came up with a very pioneering idea to install touch screens to the back of the seats in the proposed new riverside stand at Craven Cottage. Fans could use this system to vote for their man of the match, order food to collect at half-time, as well as rewind and replay the match in case they miss any key moments.

Although they were not overall winners, they were highly commended for their excellent presentation and ideas by chief judge Adam Jackson, Director of Enterprise and Small Business, from the Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS).

Peter Duus head of Enterprise at Raynes Park said:

"The pupils of Raynes Park High School were very proud to be representing Fulham FC Foundation at the Premier League Enterprise Challenge 2011. It was an immensely rewarding experience and we felt honoured to participate in such a prestigious event. We're sorry that we didn't manage to bring the trophy back to Craven Cottage, but we're nevertheless extremely proud of our achievements. The students have learned so many new skills and attributes such as meeting deadlines, handling uncertainty & risk, decision making, problem solving and data analysis. The team have been innovative and showed some fantastic entrepreneurial skills. We look forward to trying again next year!"

For more information on our Educational Programmes please visit www.fulhamfc.com/foundation or call 0870 442 5432.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/PremierLeagueEnterpriseChallenge.aspx?#ixzz1gOrnvg1L

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder delighted to be back but disappointed with result

Simon Davies returned from a knee injury against Swansea on Saturday

Fulham midfielder Simon Davies is delighted to return to first team football after he featured in the Whites' defeat to Swansea.

The 32-year-old had been out with a knee injury since the end of June but returned at the Liberty Stadium.

"I wasn't expecting to come back so soon, but after Danny Murphy got injured the manager asked me if I was capable of playing."

"I'm nowhere near where I want to be fitness wise but after a frustrating season it was great to get back."

Despite his return he was disappointed with the defeat to the Swans.

"Swansea kept the ball and defended well but after they scored we really put it on them."

"We had plenty of chances and a draw would have been fair but their keeper had a stormer."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_midfielder_delighted_to_be_back_but_disappointed_with_result_1_1151958?

WhiteJC

Jol has no Zamora issues
Fulham boss Martin Jol has not fallen out with Bobby Zamora

Fulham manager Martin Jol has moved to calm suggestions that he has fallen out with star striker Bobby Zamora.

The Cottagers hitman was not named in the 18-man squad for Saturday's defeat to Swansea at the Liberty Stadium, which came as a somewhat surprising omission.

Speculation has since been rife that Jol and Zamora have had a difference of opinion, and that the latter is keen to force a move away from Craven Cottage.

Jol, though, denies that is the case and has explained the reason to leave out Zamora as merely squad rotation, with this week's Europa League in mind.

"I made the decision on Thursday to play Andrew Johnson because he works hard in training," said the Fulham boss.

"The last couple of weeks we played with Moussa Dembele and Bobby up front and I thought the time was there to play Andrew Johnson again.

"I don't have any problem with any player. The only thing I want is for them to give 100 per cent to the club and then there is no problem.

"I need all my players. We have another important game (against Odense) on Wednesday and Bryan Ruiz can't play in Europe, we have a few little injuries so I need all my players.

"He (Zamora) is probably not the player who is the best substitute so I thought it was better to wait for next week and important games coming up. He wants to play for this club."

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/jol-has-no-zamora-issues?

WhiteJC

Hangeland eyes European success

BREDE Hangeland insists Fulham can handle the extra workload of the Europa League.

The Whites slipped to defeat against Swansea at the weekend to leave them just three points clear of the drop zone.

Martin Jol's men turn their attentions to Europe on Wednesday in their Group K showdown with Odense – their 30th game of the season.

But Hangeland has set his sights on a place in the knockout stages - even if it means more games for a side who started their campaign back in June.

"We need to enjoy it while we're here," he said. "Two years ago we managed to cope with it and we hope to do well again.

"We're not really worrying [about the amount of games]. I've played 50-plus games for the past few years.

"It's a tough schedule and a challenge, but you've got to take a game at a time and not look too far ahead."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/12/12/hangeland-eyes-european-success-82029-29941668/?#ixzz1gOtAFT5B

WhiteJC

Simon Davies: A Draw Would Have Been Fair

Fulham midfielder Simon Davies says a draw would have been a fair result at Swansea City on Saturday.

The Welshman was back in action after a lengthy spell on the sidelines as he came in to replace Danny Murphy.

Swansea City goalkeeper Michel Vorm wasn't called into action until they had scored their first goal in the second half. The visitors looked like they came to get a point, but they were forced to attack after Dempsey conceded an own goal.

Vorm made a number of top class saves, before saving Dempsey's penalty, before Graham doubled our lead to put the game beyond any doubt.

Davies thought a draw would have been a fair result:

"I wasn`t expecting to come back so soon, but after Danny Murphy got injured the manager asked me if I was capable of playing."

"I`m nowhere near where I want to be fitness wise but after a frustrating season it was great to get back."

Read more: http://www.swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=265487#ixzz1gOtQ9iDq

WhiteJC

Mean, Median, Mode, and Fulham; an update

In July I wrote a post about Jol's pledge to youth-en-ize the squad, but it contained many asterisks. Mostly the fact that Dempsey had yet to feature for the side, and I thought Salcido had a role to play for the team.

Now that we are well on a third through the season (ugh, really need to make that awards post...), let's look at the average squad age, shall we?

2011-12
Mean: 27.61
Median: 29
Mode: 30
Standard Deviation: 4.95

Using the data from Football-Lineups.com (some of which is incorrect, Gecov has appeared for the first team; albeit for 30 seconds), we can also see the top XI capped players. So, for the Top XI, the Mean is 29.64, and the Standard Deviation is 3.85. Back in July the Mean was 27.46 (28.83 for Top XI), and the standard dev was 5.29 (5.32 for Top XI).

The Top XI Mean is the highest it's been since at least 2004-05. I do not include this with the following data because young players like Kasami (19), Sa (23), and Ruiz (25) are taking the requisite time to bed-in with the league. And old hands like Grygera, and yes, even Duff, played extremely well when called upon; just unfortunate for this argument they are both over 30.

So, let's see again how this season compares to others:

Although not as significant as we saw in July (when the likes of Dalla Valle were playing), it is good to see the Standard Deviation going up while the Average age is going down. And, according to MyFootballFacts.com, we're no longer the oldest squad!

HOORAY SECOND OLDEST BEHIND STOKE!

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/mean-median-mode-and-fulham-an-update/?

WhiteJC

Jol's Thoughts After Swansea City Defeat

ulham boss Martin Jol shared his thoughts after his side's 2-0 defeat at Swansea City on Saturday.

Fulham were in confident mood after beating Liverpool at Anfield 1-0, as they looked to be only the second team to beat the Swans at the Liberty Stadium this season.

However, the Swans dominated the early stages, and it was only when they opened the scoring in the second half, that Jol's side started to create chances.

Dempsey failed to redeem himself after deflecting in Sinclair's shot to break the deadlock, as his penalty was saved late on by Vorm, and the Swansea shot-stopper also had to make further excellent saves to keep us in front.

Jol said:

"We were fine, but almost too comfortable thinking we would get our chances because we`d had three or four good away games before this,"

"But then we scored an own goal, which is a disappointing thing.

"After that I thought we took control and they had to go back and defend. We created chances and then we got the penalty which, of course, we would have liked to score. Everyone was congratulating the little fella [Kerim Frei] and it was awful to see Clint miss. But that`s football, as we experienced before against Chelsea [in the Carling Cup]."

"It wasn`t until after we scored the own goal that we started to create chances - Bryan Ruiz, Clint - then we had the penalty situation and it was an ideal scenario if we had scored,"

"Andy Johnson hasn`t been in the team for much of the past month, but he`s been playing terrifically and working hard in training,"

"As you have seen, every time he`s played he`s done well. He`s scored some important goals in the Europa League and there was his hat-trick against QPR, so I thought he earned his chance to play."

Read more: http://www.swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=265500#ixzz1gOuIzqd7

WhiteJC

QPR make move for £10m Zamora as Sunderland and Villa join race for Fulham striker

QPR have made the first move for Bobby Zamora following a rift between the 30-year-old Fulham striker and manager Martin Jol.

Sunderland and Aston Villa are also interested, but QPR would match, or even increase, Zamora's current £45,000-a-week wage. The £10million wanted could be a snag.

On the move: Zamora is wanted by a host of Premier League clubs

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2073321/QPR-Bobby-Zamora-amid-Sunderland-Aston-Villa-interest.html#ixzz1gOueSZOJ

WhiteJC

Fulham - Odense Preview: Hosts need a win to be certain of progressing to next round of Europa League
Cottagers face the side lying bottom of the group and manager Martin Jol could be looking to rotate his squad ahead of busy festive calendar, although they need good result

PROBABLE LINEUPS
FULHAM
Schwarzer
Kelly, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise
Kasami, Sidwell, Etuhu, Dembele
Zamora, Sa

ODENSE
Wessels
Ruud, Christensen, Sorensen, Mendy
Johansson, Andreasen, Djemba-Djemba, Utaka Falk, Fall

It's tough to call who Martin Jol will pick for this match. On the one hand, his team need a win to be sure of progressing to the next round of the Europa League. However, with a busy festive calendar coming up, some rotation could sneak into the squad.

There could be starts for lesser known players such as Pajtim Kasami and Orlando Sa in attacking roles, but expect a strong spine to the team from the Dutch boss.

For Odense, it's a case of trying to go out with some pride as they are already guaranteed an exit at this stage.

DID YOU KNOW?
Fulham are unbeaten in 22 European home games.

Fulham are the only side this season to have made it all the way from the qualifying round of the Europa League to the group stage.

Odense's last six European games have produced 31 goals, 12 for them and 19 against.

Odense have five players with experience of English football: Eric Djemba-Djemba (picture right) with Manchester United and Aston Villa; Andreas Johansson with Wigan; Bernard Mendy with Bolton and Hull; Morten Skoubo with West Brom; and Stefan Wessels with Everton.

Fulham's Steve Sidwell will celebrate his 29th birthday on the day of the game.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/66169/fulham-vs-ob-odense/preview

WhiteJC

QPR's 'first move' for Zamora

The Daily Mail say QPR have made the first move to sign Bobby Zamora from Fulham when the January transfer window opens.

The paper suggest Rangers are willing to at least match the striker's £45,000-a-week wages but the apparent £10m asking price could be a stumbling block.

He was left out of the Fulham squad for their defeat at Swansea on Saturday, fuelling reports of a bust-up between the player and manager Martin Jol.

Sunderland and Aston Villa are also said to be interested in Zamora, who could return for Wednesday's Europa League game against Odense.

Meanwhile, Roman Pavlyuchenko's agent has confirmed that Tottenham have offered the Russian striker to QPR.

Oleg Artemov told Sovsport: "This is true that Tottenham have turned to QPR. I know about it.

"Before talking about it – if Roman wants to be a QPR player or not – we have to consider every detail. Roman hasn't thought about it yet."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/qpr-make-first-move-for-zamora/?

WhiteJC

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez given extra time to reply to FA improper conduct charge following gesture at Fulham - report
The Uruguayan is under investigation for apparently showing his frustration towards supporters at Craven Cottage, but has allegedly been given unspecified extension to make defence

The Football Association have accepted Liverpool's request for more time for striker Luis Suarez to reply to his charge of improper conduct, according to The Telegraph.

The Uruguayan, already under the eye of the FA for alleged racial remarks towards Manchester United's Partice Evra, sparked further controversy after apparently aiming a one-fingered gesture in the direction of Fulham fans during the Reds' 1-0 loss at Craven Cottage last Monday.

Suarez originally had until 4pm on Monday to reply to the charge, but at the request of his club, the FA have apparently allowed for an unspecified extension in which the player can respond.

The Merseyside outfit have also been granted a postponement to respond to a separate charge of failing to deal with their players following the sending off of midfielder Jay Spearing in the same game against the Cottagers.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/13/2800441/liverpool-striker-luis-suarez-given-extra-time-to-reply-to?

WhiteJC

QPR, Sunderland & Aston Villa Begin £10m England International Bidding War

Qpr have made the first move for Bobby Zamora following a rift between the 30-year-old Fulham striker and manager Martin Jol.

Sunderland and Aston Villa are also interested, but Qpr would match, or even increase, Zamora's current £45,000-a-week wage. The £10million wanted could be a snag.

SOURCE: Daily Mail

Whilst England international Bobby Zamora may not be everyone's cup of tea there is no denying that the big striker does what he does, well. He is an archetypal target man and an old fashioned centre-forward who has steadily improved as a player since his dark spell at Tottenham.

Martin Jol and Zamora have reportedly fallen out and January is just around the corner and given that Andy Johnson may well be handed a new contract by the West London club then a bid for the 30 year old striker may well be considered by Fulham.

Zamora has netted 27 goals in his last 77 starts, which is a pretty decent record, a record that has helped him into Fabio Capello's reckoning and perhaps the London born striker feels a move may help secure a spot in the Euro 2012 squad?

Sunderland and QPR could certainly do with alternative attacking options whilst Aston Villa, though not the most prolific scorers, do have the likes of Gabriel Agbonlahor and Darren Bent to call upon.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/12/13/qpr-sunderland-aston-villa-begin-10m-england-international-bidding-war/?

WhiteJC

The Big Debate

As part of a regular feature in this season's matchday programme, we're inviting fans on Fulham's social media channels to have their say on topical football subjects.

Ahead of every home Premier League game, we'll post a question of Facebook and Twitter and invite you to respond with your thoughts. Our pick of the responses will be selected and printed in Saturday's matchday programme for Fulham's match against Bolton at Craven Cottage.

This week, as the team play the fourth and fifth of eight matches in the month of December, whilst much of Europe takes a break from action, the subject of our debate is:

Do you think there is a case for a winter break, or should the busy festive schedule be left as it is?

Share your views now on Fulham's official Facebook or Twitter feed.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/TheBigDebate.aspx?#ixzz1gPsYYng6