watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

i think Riise has played well lately

Started by horse1031, December 13, 2011, 10:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horse1031

i know he gets some rough treatment on the boards but i think that he has done really well lately.  He has been bombing forward and getting in really good positions.  I wish one of his free kicks would be on frame...  how could they stop it?  The only thing i wish he did better was not back off the defender into the penalty box waiting.  I think he will get fitter and play better.  Maybe he can get back close to how he played at pool?

Burt

Agree with this - he has been much more adventurous of late. Which hopefully is something that will be maintained until young Mr Briggs is ready to become the established left back.

mrska

I agree he's improving...  id still like to see him put a challange in more often, but he's settled in well and looks up to the job.

Just a matter of time before before one of his thunderbolts hits the nets..  hopefully Saturday.

zzamora

You forgot the  086.gif after your post...

The Bronsons

Yes, agreed - he's been my least favourite player but the last few performances he's looked fitter. He still hasn't got what he had, but if he keeps improving he can be another Konchesky.

Now that does call for a  086.gif

FatFreddysCat

Improving, but not as good as Briggs. Surely only starting as he's a big Jol Signing.

MrWhite

still lacks a lot of pace to me, and i think he shouldn't be pushing forward as it makes the back line more vulnerable on the break.

FC Silver Fox

I'd still play Matthew Briggs as 1st choice left back.  As for Riise, can't he take 5-10% off the power of his shots and actually hit the target? Its not rocket science and its not as if he doesn't have time to practise.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

epsomraver

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on December 14, 2011, 10:34:46 AM
I'd still play Matthew Briggs as 1st choice left back.  As for Riise, can't he take 5-10% off the power of his shots and actually hit the target? Its not rocket science and its not as if he doesn't have time to practise.

That's the problem FC it is rocket science! trajectory and speed. :005: regarding Briggs starting, sorry he needs more experience at defending.

TWFL

Quote from: epsomraver on December 14, 2011, 10:40:25 AM

That's the problem FC it is rocket science! trajectory and speed. :005: regarding Briggs starting, sorry he needs more experience at defending.

+1 regarding Briggs, just keep doing what we are doing and slowly bed him in.

finnster01

Good to se you back Brian

JAr is a bit fat but Briggsy isn't ready yet in my book especially defending. Also his barber leaves a lot to be desired.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Jack Fulham

Riise has been decent the past few games but I don't think it's the defence we have an issue with at the moment.

horse1031

the problem is that if he doesnt get forward for us we don't look like scoring.  the times he has gone forward the last couple of games is when we look the most dangerous.  plus, danny loves to play that ball over the top of the right back.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: horse1031 on December 14, 2011, 02:26:06 PM
the problem is that if he doesnt get forward for us we don't look like scoring.  the times he has gone forward the last couple of games is when we look the most dangerous.  plus, danny loves to play that ball over the top of the right back.

This is a very pertinent point.

We still rely on our full backs to give us width. When this does not happen, we struggle.

horse1031

why havent we seen Briggs lately?  it would be nice if he got a run out tonight, whether in the midfield or left back.  Jol probably understands that Riise is a little chunky and needs as much fitness as he can get.  There is something about Riise that i like, his demeanor and personality... the way he responds to the media.  I still think that he is going to become a favorite even if his start has been sub par.  I think one of the reasons Liverpool liked him so much (besides his left foot) is that he always said the right things to the media.  He is always saying good things about the fans and how they help the team.  I think he is happy to be back in the prem.  It has to take a little time to get used to the wingers of the english game.

Mitch

Briggs has had a back problem recently and we've had some tough fixtures. I expect to see Briggs should Riise not be available, but not otherwise. Riise has improved of late, I think he's put on too much muscle and needs to be leaner.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Mitch on December 14, 2011, 02:42:11 PM
Briggs has had a back problem recently and we've had some tough fixtures. I expect to see Briggs should Riise not be available, but not otherwise. Riise has improved of late, I think he's put on too much muscle and needs to be leaner.

I would like to see Briggs tonight, get some energy on the flank.

Mitch