Main Menu

Speaking of Christmas music

Started by HatterDon, December 19, 2011, 04:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

here's a little original of mine that I think you just might enjoy:

Nondenominational Winter Holiday Carol

By DP Hymel

We [if I may be allowed to speak for the group as a whole as if in the guise of a single entity]

wish [not to be confused with pray, which might indicate our—that is to say my (in speaking for the whole) acceptance and endorsement of a Supreme Being]

you [the entirety of which may include those of us wearing the sobriquet "we"]

a [not specifically the one we're observing/celebrating/enduring/tolerating/ignoring/suffering from, although it certainly may be if you (as the whole or part of the whole) freely choose it to be—if indeed you subscribe to a personal philosophy that includes free will]

Merry [or M-e-r-r-i-e, or at least reasonably stress-free, low-carbohydrate, high-fiber, low-impact, middle-earth, wide-ranging, narrow-gauge]

Christmas [Kwanzaa, Hanukkah (or Chanukah), mid-Winter Solstice, cold-weather supplication to the Goddess, anniversary of the awakening to the realization that we really are all alone, Karl Marx's/Soren Kierkegaard's/Roger Clemens's/Louis Armstrong's/Sophia Loren's birthday]

and a [certainly not to be limited to nor be construed as mutually exclusive]

Happy [and I/we realize that your/our happiness/content/elation/torpor/ennui is/are none of my/our/your collective (or individual—if you/we/us/they subscribe to the concept of individual) business or avocation]

New Year [whenever it may fall on whichever calendar you follow (although I certainly hope it has a greyhound on it)].
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Burt

As an honorary yank Mr HD sir I thought it was all around happy holidays rather than xmas  :dft011:

HatterDon

Quote from: Burt on December 19, 2011, 07:40:51 AM
As an honorary yank Mr HD sir I thought it was all around happy holidays rather than xmas  :dft011:

yeah, but it wouldn't have taken me a week of writing, editing, and polishing to do "Happy Holidays."  064.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

As a digression (I am very good at those as you know) a US HQ'ed company I worked for many moons ago actually hired three (very expensive) HR consultants to figure out what to put on the Christmas cards. They couldn't do merry christmas/hanukah/kwanza and happy new years was off as well given the various calendars etc...

So 3 weeks later and 3 full-on consultants time, the conclusion was that the correct thing to do was Happy Holidays (which was the original choice)...

Needless to say, this was not money well spent and indeed happened before the economy exploded  :035:

My Christmas card from my own company this year will be in e-mail format with a click option on it to donate to red cross. i.e. you click on it, i/my company donate to red cross. Saves the stamp, maybe a tree or two in the process, and may help someone who needs it more than the postal service (although here in the US that is a whole another topic all together)
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead