News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What a waste of money ( how wrong I was)

Started by The Swan, December 19, 2011, 08:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

When I saw Ruiz play for us for the first time I posted, What a waste of money. I did add that  it could be first game nerves, and given time he could be very good for us.
I now see the value of this player. He is quick, clever, direct and can score great goals. I am so looking forward to seeing him against Man U on Wednesday night.
All we need is a ball winner in midfiled and a proven striker in the mould of McBride.
The Swan

richie17

McBride was no more prolific than Dempsey really. 

Burt

I think most of us were underwhelmed by Ruiz's debut. However with each game he has played he has progressed and we are starting to see why Jol brought him in. He is a class act.

ImperialWhite

Foreign players need a lot of time to adapt, that's all.

Dzeko is the classic example. Compare his goal scoring records last season (fairly poor) to this season (excellent).

Burt

New managers need a bit of time to adapt too.

JOL IN!

Sorry, couldn't resist it.
:dft011:

Berserker

What made me think Ruiz was worth having was when i went to the FC Twente game where their fans where giving him his farewell, they just seemed to love him so much. I thought then seems we are luck to have him. Mind today on the Mail on line the said Rednapp wanted him in the Summertransfer
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Berserker

sorry touch screen on phone playing up again
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Drake44444

He is no doubt a great a player.... was more about Jol finding a place for him then him not being good enough.  Highly in demand throughout his career..... Zenit were after him big time before his chose Twente.

finnster01

Quote from: richie17 on December 19, 2011, 08:23:53 PM

I'd argue that a bit Rich. I don't know what the match-to-goal ratio is and we should also take seasons and longevity into that equation etc, but let me ask you this simple question: Which player would have been the better Fulham Captain given the opportunity?

I think I know what most people who were around when McBride played would say.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TonyGilroy

The figures then according to Wikipedia.

McBride 41 goals from 151 games for Fulham and 30 from 96 for USA.

Dempsey 38 from 163 for Fulham and 24 from 82 for USA.

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on December 20, 2011, 08:18:55 AM

The figures then according to Wikipedia.

McBride 41 goals from 151 games for Fulham and 30 from 96 for USA.

Dempsey 38 from 163 for Fulham and 24 from 82 for USA.

Thanks for those numbers Mr Tony. Pretty similar'ish, but I think  for me the killer is leadership. McGod was all about the team and as much as I like Demps, I get a sense he is more about Demps than the team in a way. I may have got all that wrong so feel free to shoot me all, but having to make a choice, I would pick McB any day over Demps.

TonyGilroy

They wouldn't be competing for only one place in a team. It's a shame McBride isn't 10 years younger.

Dempsey seems to play in a bubble of self motivation but you can't fault his loyalty to the club and his attitude when left out has been exemplary. Focus and win the place back.

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on December 20, 2011, 08:31:01 AM

They wouldn't be competing for only one place in a team. It's a shame McBride isn't 10 years younger.

Dempsey seems to play in a bubble of self motivation but you can't fault his loyalty to the club and his attitude when left out has been exemplary. Focus and win the place back.

Very much agree with that

finnster01

Actually completely out of topic, but given Mr Tony is an attorney, I had a very interesting conversation yesterday with one of my US ones.

We have one corporate technical issue here in the US that needs to be sorted and there are issues both on my company side and the other one.

As much as I complain about lawyers, this lad showed me some of the most imaginative argumentation skill I have seen since OJ walked a free man (obviously not anymore for his other nonsense) but I tip my cap to that profession. There are actually some very smart and intelligent people working in that business, our words of wisdom Mr Tony included.  :clap_hands:

os5889

Lucas is my example of foreign players taking a while to adapt.

The last 2 seasons he's been awesome. Harsh for the boy to do his knee to be fair after just about getting the plaudits he deserved

Mitch

Quote from: finnster01 on December 20, 2011, 06:21:28 AM

I'd argue that a bit Rich. I don't know what the match-to-goal ratio is and we should also take seasons and longevity into that equation etc, but let me ask you this simple question: Which player would have been the better Fulham Captain given the opportunity?

What's beint captain got to do with goalscoring?

finnster01

Quote from: Mitch on December 20, 2011, 12:09:55 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on December 20, 2011, 06:21:28 AM

What's beint captain got to do with goalscoring?

Other than taking responsibility as you get older, absolutely nothing

HatterDon

Quote from: os5889 on December 20, 2011, 10:36:14 AM

The last 2 seasons he's been awesome. Harsh for the boy to do his knee to be fair after just about getting the plaudits he deserved

As much as I cringe when his name is brought up, Lucas' success is 100% down to Roy Hodgson. Lucas and Mireles came into their own under Roy. They -- especially Lucas -- were considered failed transfers until Hodgson's "failure at Anfield." Roy got the best out of him and he continues to play well.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Jack Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on December 20, 2011, 01:46:26 PM
Quote from: os5889 on December 20, 2011, 10:36:14 AM

As much as I cringe when his name is brought up, Lucas' success is 100% down to Roy Hodgson. Lucas and Mireles came into their own under Roy. They -- especially Lucas -- were considered failed transfers until Hodgson's "failure at Anfield." Roy got the best out of him and he continues to play well.

Got to disagree here, Lucas was bought as an attacking midfielder and he was young. He had to adapt to holding midfielder but Rafa persisted with him. Really stepped up to the plate the season Xabi Alonso left. He was a mainstay in the midfield before Roy got there. I'm unsure how you can say Lucas's success is 100% down to Roy when Roy's Liverpool team was so poor. As for Meireles being a failed transfer? Roy bought him. I don't understand why we Fulham fans have to defend Roy when it comes to his stint at Liverpool. It's obvious that he was the wrong fit for the club and that was reflected by the football played on the pitch.

MOR :