watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Happy Birthday to Fred Callaghan...

Started by LBNo11, December 19, 2011, 09:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...happy birthday to Frederick John Callaghan aka the 'Tank'. What he lacked in finesse he made up in shovel loads of panache; chin jutting out he would steam down the left flank in attack, and in defence he was a "no prisoners taken" left back. Fred was/is a character, last time I heard he was a London black cabbie.

In my youth Les Barrett was my hero, but Fred embodied the spirit of Fulham and was my 'second' favourite player.

Nearly twelve years ago I was a guest of Bob Howe in a corporate 'Box' and at half-time there was a knock on the door and someone called "is Ed there?" Bob said "open the door then" and there was Fred to meet me, what a lovely guy, we chatted and talked about the 'good old days' and he was a wonderful guest who made my family's and my day even more memorable.

Seeing as I have been 'outed' in the "We Are The Mods" post, here is Fred and I posing for a photo:-

Happy Birthday Tank...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Burt

LBNo11

...thanks Burt, a bit loud, but then again so were they.

I feel an Edward Winston Malone comment coming on...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

HatterDon

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 19, 2011, 09:24:35 PM
...thanks Burt, a bit loud, but then again so were they.

I feel an Edward Winston Malone comment coming on...

as soon as he finds his carpet slippers. I'm sure they're in one of his 52 bedrooms or 21 toilets.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

One of my all time favourites. Mr Callaghan left many memories  including a sliding tackle in the area at Turf Moor that stopped a certain goal and playing up front when he came on as sub in what was probably his last game for Fulham up at Bolton. A great Fulham player because he made me proud to be a Fulham fan with his 'whole hearted' approach. Best Wishes to a great player.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cebu

Happy birthday Fred!   :beer: +  :wine: +  blow candles

CorkedHat

Everything you say about Fred is true, Ed.
I was a bit miffed when he took over the left back spot from Robin Lawler - no two players could have been dissimilar; but it didn't take long for Fred to become a firm favourite of mine and of everyone who had the honour of seeing him play
Happy Birthday Fred :beer:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

finnster01

Wonderful photo, thanks for sharing Ed, and happy birthday to the other big man  blow candles
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TonyGilroy

Quote from: CorkedHat on December 20, 2011, 03:35:11 AM
I was a bit miffed when he took over the left back spot from Robin Lawler - no two players could have been dissimilar; but it didn't take long for Fred to become a firm favourite of mine and of everyone who had the honour of seeing him play

Memories playing tricks there.

Fred replaced Alan Mullery at wing half and settled into left back after Barry Mealand got injured having replaced Jim Langley.

I think Fred epitomised everything good about FFC in those days. Great enthusiasm, honesty and loyalty. Definitely one of my all time favourites. Maybe not quite as good as Langley but from the same mold.

bog

Always liked Fred. Fulham through and through. Saw him sent off at Spurs along with Venables. 

CorkedHat

Quote from: TonyGilroy on December 20, 2011, 08:23:40 AM
Quote from: CorkedHat on December 20, 2011, 03:35:11 AM

Memories playing tricks there.

Fred replaced Alan Mullery at wing half and settled into left back after Barry Mealand got injured having replaced Jim Langley.

I think Fred epitomised everything good about FFC in those days. Great enthusiasm, honesty and loyalty. Definitely one of my all time favourites. Maybe not quite as good as Langley but from the same mold.

You are quite right Tony. This is not what I meant to imply.  075.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

bigalffc

Happy Birthday Fred - known to me and my mates as left footed oof!
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

The Equalizer

I'm a bit young to have seen him play, but have heard many stories.

Happy birthday Tank!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

epsomraver

Happy birthday Fred, to think we got him and not Spam because the club upped spams offer of carpeting Fred's mum's house with an extra washing machine as well,  those were the days!

MOR :

Top man Fred, can still be seen outside Putney Sainsburys waiting for a cab fare...top bloke that can be found down the British Legion, Parsons Green now and again especially when we play the filth away...happy Birthday Fred...

bulgariawhite

Having been at school with Fred. He may have been one footed, but knew how to put that one foot on a tennis ball and completely take up the whole of the playground break making us look idiots for even trying to ro make a game of it. Even in those days he was a gentleman and a creditto St Mark's