watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Went to a funeral for a shot cop here in NY

Started by finnster01, December 20, 2011, 12:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Met him once, didn't know him well or anything but he died in tragic circumstances that he didn't have to be in.

What I will say though, is that the US knows how to take care of the fallen and pay them proper respects. There must have been a thousand cops there (at the funeral) and I am not making it up.  065.gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Blingo

High levels of respect clearly shown Finny, but if there were over 1000 of them there, who was minding the streets?

ToodlesMcToot

I'm assuming, by the size of the procession, that this was in NYC where there are almost 40,000 police officers. I doubt the criminals were operating freely.

They have them similarly sized here in Atlanta. Its quite a site to behold.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

epsomraver

I think people who have not been to the states do not realise that these car chases involving dozens of cars are not just for films but as reality, I remember driving past a local jail and Police station in Florida  on a late Saturday night and was amazed at the lines of cruisers just sitting there, in the Met in London night crews were waiting for the late turn car to come in so they could go out on patrol,  there were no others available, Supercop would get a rude awakening if he had got the job here but I like what he says though.

Blingo

40,000 police in NYC???? surely that can't be right. I never saw more than 20 in the time I was there, none in Chicago (the mistake on the lake) about 5 in San Francisco. I think I saw more in Miami than anywhere else. Tbh, they pulled a tramp over opposite Avalon on South beach and gave him a seriously hard going over without any real reason, it actually made me feel sorry for the blow lamp as he hadn't really done anything wrong other than walk along the beach prom, but then again, who am i to judge.

ToodlesMcToot

Forgive me. I made a mistake and went with Wikipedia's numbers. NYC's official number is 34,500 uniformed. You'd still lack the detective force which are more than likely wear suits or work undercover. I doubt that'd make up the difference with my initial number. But, it wouldn't be so far off I don't believe.

I see them all over the place here in Atlanta. I don't notice them so much when I'm traveling either.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Burt

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 20, 2011, 07:48:49 PM
Forgive me. I made a mistake and went with Wikipedia's numbers. NYC's official number is 34,500 uniformed. You'd still lack the detective force which are more than likely wear suits or work undercover. I doubt that'd make up the difference with my initial number. But, it wouldn't be so far off I don't believe.

I see them all over the place here in Atlanta. I don't notice them so much when I'm traveling either.

Could have done with a few thousand of them to deal with the riots here, when the Met went missing for a night or two.

:dead horse:

finnster01

Quote from: Blingo on December 20, 2011, 05:10:43 PM
40,000 police in NYC???? surely that can't be right. I never saw more than 20 in the time I was there, none in Chicago (the mistake on the lake) about 5 in San Francisco. I think I saw more in Miami than anywhere else. Tbh, they pulled a tramp over opposite Avalon on South beach and gave him a seriously hard going over without any real reason, it actually made me feel sorry for the blow lamp as he hadn't really done anything wrong other than walk along the beach prom, but then again, who am i to judge.

Mr Blingo,

It must have been a long time since you have visited these shores mate. There are more than 100 cops 24/7 in or around Times Square alone. Take a trip on the subway you will see more. Take a proper train in/out of the city and you will see the National Guard with live ammo and M16's in numbers.

If I was a terrorist, which I am not, there are a lot easier targets in the world than New York City. The Met should seriously take a look at NYC. One of the safest large cities in the world. 

HatterDon

Get it right, Mr. Blings. CLEVELAND is the Mistake by the Lake.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

Clearly, you didn't visit a donut shop.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

finnster01

Quote from: YankeeJim on December 21, 2011, 01:33:08 AM

Clearly, you didn't visit a donut shop.

LOL  :011:

RidgeRider

Hey!! Chicago is one of the greatest cities on the planet. No mistake at all. I love that place.  :004:

ImperialWhite

Maybe it's an English thing (or just cos I grew up in the countryside), but being surrounded by cops makes me feel less safe, not more oo-er, lots of cops about, must be a bit dodgy here.

It's really touching when a profession cares for its own though, heart-warming.

AmericanJames

Quote from: HatterDon on December 21, 2011, 12:27:47 AM

Get it right, Mr. Blings. CLEVELAND is the Mistake by the Lake.

Chicago is brilliant, and every time I've been there there is normally a reasonable amount of police coverage
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Nick the Swede

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 21, 2011, 01:54:41 AM
Maybe it's an English thing (or just cos I grew up in the countryside), but being surrounded by cops makes me feel less safe, not more oo-er, lots of cops about, must be a bit dodgy here.

That would be they way I would feel too. If there is a need for that many coppers the place has got to be very unsafe. A very Swedish approach maybe, but if I see more than 2-3 cops in one go I start look around and try to locate the riot  :022:

On the point of paying respects like described by finnster, I don't think any country in the world does it better than the US.
-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

finnster01

Quote from: Nick the Swede on December 21, 2011, 09:25:00 AM

That would be they way I would feel too. If there is a need for that many coppers the place has got to be very unsafe. A very Swedish approach maybe, but if I see more than 2-3 cops in one go I start look around and try to locate the riot  :022:

On the point of paying respects like described by finnster, I don't think any country in the world does it better than the US.

Fair point mate. I can see that, but I guess seeing it (the police presence) on the streets every day actually grows on you and make you feel safe. I guess in the ideal world you wouldn't want that cop presence, but in the ideal world you wouldn't have Sept 11 either. If this is what it takes to make New York a safer place, I am all for it.

In my neighborhood of Harlem, it is a very mixed neighborhood but still predominantly black. I have very few issues with the locals. But I also know who not to mess with by now. I know the dealer, I know the numbers dude, I know the Urban League and their connections etc. The street actually police itself here in a funny way though. I had an issue about 14 months back that involved someone pulling a gun at me to rob me, but one of the locals on the street stepped in and said "he lives here bro, leave him alone" and the thug did and I walked away and didn't even call the cops either. Never had a problem since   

epsomraver

I can understand that to a point, I always feel when I go across Putney Bridge and see vans loads of Police that there may be trouble, The Polish game was a prime example, other than that around here you rarely see Police at all.