watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where Should Baird Play?

Started by White Noise, March 18, 2010, 07:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

One of the key calls Roy needs to make tonight it where to deploy one of his most consistent players.
Baird has always maintained that his strength and preference is at CB but his best performances have come this season as a dm. Have we underestimated Smalling? His performances against sides earlier in this competition were pretty faultless and close to man of the match quality. There is a feeling that his form has dropped and his head has gone following the Man Utd stuff but I think he has got some more good performances in him for us and, on his day, is better at the back than Baird. At right back Baird has confounded his critics in recent games and his work rate there is second to none. He does not really push forward though and Kelly, when at his best, provides that attacking threat we are going to need tonight. As a defensive midfielder Baird has excelled and he really puts himself about and passes well. Etuhu seems to blend best with Murphy but even with him has been short of his best form this season. Baird seems to adapt well to different partners and is vocal and organised like Murphy. Of the two I think Baird will stand the best chance against the pacey, tricky movement of Juventus and provide a real barrier for the defence. I therefore think it will be Smalling, Kelly and Baird who get the chance to be heroes tonight.

The Equalizer

With Papa Murph and Jesus out, we have to play him in central midfield with Etuhu. Smalling and Hughes at the back with Konch and Kelly on the sides.

I really feel that Etuhu is going to be our weakest link again though. He was at fault for at least one of the goals last week against Juve, so I may be tempted to drag Dempsey back into central midfield with Davies and Duff covering the wings and Zoltan up front with Zamora.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

I rather keep Demps up front with BZ and try Gera in Murph's role. He's done that for Hungary before.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TonyGilroy

Time for a heated debate then.

I think Chris Baird has been excellent at RB both in defence and in attack. He has a good range of passing and is a more accurate crosser of the ball than Pantsil. I think Baird is the best RB on our books. Wherever he plays he helps and covers those next to him. A seriously intelligent footballer.

I also think that Etuhu has been excellent so long as you recognise what it is he is there to do which essentially is to protect centre midfield and shelter the central defence. He is the guy who MUST NOT go roaming.

Tonight I imagine Smalling will play if Hangeland can't. I'd favour Davies to partner Etuhu and might start with Elm and Zamora up front together. Partly that would be to surprise Juventus and see if having two target men might give the midfield something to feed off. It would mean not starting either Dempsey or Gera but that would give us someone to bring off the bench capable of making an impact.

The Equalizer

Interesting ideas there Tony, but who would you have on the wings? Duffman obviously on one side, but who else? Is Riise fit again?

I still think that JP is our strongest RB, although Baird has played very well in that position this season. It was last season where he was poor on that side. I think he's a much better central player, be it in midfield or defense, and would much rather see him there than anywhere else.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

TonyGilroy

Duff on the right and either Gera or Dempsey on the left with the other on the bench.

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Equalizer

Sorry, I misconstrued that last sentence.

The Equalizer

It doesn't look like Elm will be playing today either. I've just read on the Beeb that he's ill. Riise is back though.

Juve have lost Manninger now too, so that's both of their first choice keepers out. I hope Zamora's purple-patch returns tonight and he opens Juve up like a tin of beans!  :54:

leonffc

Quote from: finnster01 on March 18, 2010, 08:15:18 AM
I rather keep Demps up front with BZ and try Gera in Murph's role. He's done that for Hungary before.

Sorry Mr Finn but I disagree. Gera is too weak physically and too wasteful with posession to play there imo. If he must play then I'd stick him up front but he seems to slow attacks by cutting inside and then going backwards allowing the oppo to get behind the ball.
I'd go for Baird in midfield with Dempsey as we have to go for it but I doubt Woy will throw Dempsey in to the middle seeing as he has never played him there before.
I have a horrible feeling we'll be forced to endure a Baird Etuhu pairing  :55:

White Noise

Baird and Etuhu makes no sense in the middle to me. That is way too defensive and lacks any creative outlet for the front two.

I am with Leon on playing Baird at DM with Dempsey as the attacking midfielder and Davies and Duff on the flanks.

I think the Gera/Zamora thing up front works well in Europe and with those two, plus Davies, Duff and Dempsey and Shorey and Kelly pushing up we should offer plenty of attcking threat. I really don't think we can afford to play it cautiously this evening in the hope that we nick a goal on the break in each half.

I will be nervous as hell if Etuhu plays that he will give away too many free kicks in dangerous areas and cop for cards in no time at all. He scared the life out of me against Shaktar and Juventus and just seem too ponderous on the ball at present.

The Danny Murphy role has to be played by someone who has the skill and experince for an attacking and creative role and it is therefore a toss up between Davies and Dempsey for me.

The Equalizer

WN - I'm sure that Shorey's not registered for Europe so won't be playing tonight.

White Noise

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 18, 2010, 09:23:07 AM
WN - I'm sure that Shorey's not registered for Europe so won't be playing tonight.

Yes your right Eq it was Konch who played the last tie - still, same thing applies. I expect a Konchesky howitzer just before half time -

Paul Konchesky - goal of the month winner - V West Ham

bobby01

I would like Baird and Duff in the middle as the irishman can see a pass, something we lack without Murph. Davies and Gera wide, Clint up with BZ
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

VicHalomsLovechild

Dicky Boys fit, played for the reserves the other night. Play him and Bairdino in the middle. I thought Kelly did well for most of the Utd game, so he gets my vote for RB.

LordFloyd

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on March 18, 2010, 03:05:16 PM
Dicky Boys fit, played for the reserves the other night. Play him and Bairdino in the middle. I thought Kelly did well for most of the Utd game, so he gets my vote for RB.

I have been saying the same thing all week