watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (19.03.10)

Started by White Noise, March 19, 2010, 12:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/fulham/article7067976.ece

Brilliant winner from Clint Dempsey makes piece of history for Fulham

Tom Dart

Fulham stunned one of European football's greatest names last night by producing a remarkable turnaround to reach the quarter-finals of the Europa League at the expense of Juventus.

Roy Hodgson's side recovered from a three-goal aggregate deficit to win 4-1 on the night and take the tie 5-4 overall, Clint Dempsey crowning a glorious night with a stunning late winner.

In front of Fabio Capello, the England manager, Bobby Zamora also enhanced his prospects of an international call-up with an outstanding performance at Craven Cottage.

The striker scored one goal and helped to create another as Fulham recovered from the setback of conceding after less than two minutes to demolish a Juventus team who caved in after the first-half dismissal of Fabio Cannavaro, the veteran defender, and finished the match with nine men.

"I'm sure he [Capello] has a lot of front players on his list," Hodgson said. "I think Bob's done enough to at least merit a mention."

Fulham will discover their next opponents when the draw for the quarter-finals and semi-finals is made in Nyon, Switzerland, today.

They could find themselves up against Liverpool, who also overcame a first-leg deficit to progress at the expense of Lille last night, with Fernando Torres scoring twice. "We should do like Rocky Marciano and retire while the going's good, because it's not going to get a lot better," Hodgson said.

Asked if it was the best night in the club's history, he said: "I would think it must come close. To beat Juventus 4-1 whether with ten men or eleven men . . . we were playing a very strong team."

An outstanding result was secured by Dempsey's winner, a contender for goal of the season. The United States striker, who should face England in their first match at the World Cup finals on June 12, scored the decisive goal of the second leg with an inspired lob over the goalkeeper.

"Nine times out of ten a shot like that wouldn't have made it, but sometimes you've got to go for it," Dempsey said. "Luckily it worked."

Thrashing Juventus to reach the last eight of a European competition represents impressive progress for Fulham. This time two years ago they were in the Barclays Premier League relegation zone. "That's life — everything changes," Dempsey said. "We've got a great coach and the players believe in themselves."

With their Europa League run having started in July, by the time the quarter-finals are completed, Fulham will have played 16 matches in the competition. "I think it's a remarkable achievement that the boys have done so well," Hodgson said.

"I think people felt like this was a job well done and we deserve credit and we're very happy about that. To make it a really good week we've got to have good performances on Sunday [against Manchester City] and Wednesday [against Tottenham Hotspur] as well."

White Noise

Fulham 4 - 1 Juventus

Fulham were 4-1 down on aggregate at one stage but a stunning fight back culminated in Clint Dempsey chipping a dramatic winning goal late in the second-half.

The match got off to a lively start with both sets of fans in good voice at the Cottage. Unfortunately for the Whites, it was Juventus who struck first with a goal from their very first attack. David Trezeguet was in the right place at the right time to get on the end of a scuffed clearance. The French striker picked his spot and side-footed a low finish past Mark Schwarzer.

But it was only a matter of time before Fulham were back on level footing on nine minutes, and once again that man Bobby Zamora was on target. Zamora controlled a cross from Paul Konchesky on his chest before volleying a fierce effort past Antonio Chimenti.

As the atmosphere kicked up a notch Mauro Camoranesi entered the referee's book for a late tackle on Konchesky. In contrast to the first leg, Fulham were certainly on the front foot with Zamora looking to stretch the Juve defence with some penetrating runs in behind. One such run on 12 minutes was almost brilliantly found by a long pass from Chris Baird.

Fulham continued to press in a real edge-of-the-seat first-half. With Juventus dedicating most of their time to keeping the Whites at bay – Fulham looked the most likely to find the next goal. Both Damien Duff and Simon Davies were seeing their fair share of ball as Fulham used the full width of the pitch well.

The battle between Paul Konchesky and Mauro Camoranesi down Fulham's left side was a key area in determining the Whites' defensive success.

Fulham were handed a huge boost on 26 minutes when Fabio Cannavaro was shown a straight red card after he was adjudged to have brought down the rapidly advancing Zoltan Gera after Zamora had put the Hungarian through on goal.

From the ensuing free-kick Chimenti produced an exceptional save to deny Zamora's goal bound effort. Game on.

The dismissal forced Alberto Zaccheroni to immediately replace Antonio Candreva with Zdenek Grygera. It was a brave step as Juventus pushed Diego up front to partner Trezeguet.

The game had turned into attack versus defence as Fulham looked to break down a well organised Juventus back line.

Simon Davies struck the crossbar with a free kick shortly before Dickson Etuhu stuck the post with a header from close range. The warning signs were there and Fulham deservedly took the lead on 39 minutes following a wonderful piece of attacking play. Zamora flicked a delightful ball into the path of Simon Davies whose low cross was struck high into the net by Zoltan Gera – sending the Craven Cottage crowd wild.

Fulham got the second-half underway attacking the Hammersmith End. And the Whites drew level on aggregate almost immediately when Zoltan Gera maintained his composure to fire home from the penalty spot on 49 minutes. Gera's back-heel in the Juventus area found Damien Duff whose cross struck the arm of Diego – the referee had to hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Fulham were given a timely reminder of the attacking prowess Juventus possessed when Trezeguet volleyed a shot on target after a quick Juventus counter-attack. Nonetheless, it remained an attack very much against the run of play as Fulham worked the ball well from flank to flank in search of a fourth goal.

A slight lull in play followed which Juventus used to slow the pace of the game down and gradually advance up the pitch. Juve changed tack slightly as they looked to make a number of driving runs through the centre of Fulham's midfield rather that try to pass their way through.

A powerful shot from Simon Davies was parried out by Chimenti on 70 minutes as Fulham resumed their attempts on goal. Roy Hodgson made an attacking substitution soon after when he introduced Clint Dempsey for Stephen Kelly. Simon Davies moved to right back as Dempsey joined Zamora up front and Gera moved out to the left flank.

Fulham found a new lease of life after the change and came close to netting when a Simon Davies cross flashed through the Juventus penalty area. Another cross from Davies on 77 minutes was met firmly by the head of Dempsey, only to be parried away by Chimenti.

Mohamed Sissoko, Juventus' main protagonist in their defensive efforts, was having a fine game. But Chimenti was again called into action on 80 minutes when he parried a powerful Zoltan Gera effort away from danger.

Fulham scored a dramatic winner on 82 minutes through a delightful chipped finish from Clint Dempsey. The Fulham substitute found himself in space on the edge of the penalty area and dinked a world-class finish over Chimenti to give Fulham the aggregate lead.

Juventus were shown their second red card of the evening in ectra time after Jonathan Zebina kicked out at Damien Duff.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/0910/EuropaLeague/JuventusHome.aspx#ixzz0iZp2ce5H

White Noise

Hodgson's Euro Stars

Thursday 18th March 2010

Fulham FC News

Speaking after Thursday evening's fantastic 5-4 aggregate victory over Juventus, Roy Hodgson gave his post-match reaction:

"The atmosphere was electric," said Hodgson. "We could not have had a worse start and an uphill task became even more uphill. But I was fully aware that there were 89 minutes to go. By half-time, I thought we were looking good to win.

"We went behind to a simple goal which made an uphill task even steeper but even from that point the team started to play well and the crowd got behind us and even at half time I thought we were looking good to win the game.

"It was never going to be impossible to turn it around and luckily that has happened. It is a great win for the club - it must come close to the greatest night in its history.

"But this team constantly surprises me. I can never recall a recovery like that.

"People say they had players missing but you look on the bench and they had Del Piero, Iaquinta and Poulsen so we were still playing a very strong Juventus team.

"To get to the quarter-final of this competition is extremely good because we played our first match at the end of July and we will still be playing in this competition next month.

"When I reached the final (as manager of Inter Milan) our European campaign was nowhere near as long as this one has been, I think it encompassed 12 games including a two-legged final.

"By the end of the next match we'll have played 16 games now and I think it is a remarkable achievement that the boys have done so well.

"It was a great night of football, the crowd was fantastic and many of them will remember this night for a long time to come. I know we will."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/HodgsonJuveReactionHome.aspx#ixzz0iZpRzzlO

White Noise

Comeback Kings

Thursday 18th March 2010

Fulham FC News

Europa League match-winner Clint Dempsey may have been quick to share the plaudits, but there was no doubting the importance of the American's 82nd minute strike.

In what transpired to be another unforgettable night at Craven Cottage, and arguably the Club's finest ever moment, Fulham fought back to record a famous win against Italian giants and two-time European champions, Juventus.

A 3-1 first-leg defeat in Turin left Roy Hodgson's side with a mountain to climb, with David Trezeguet's goal after just two minutes seemingly ending our hopes of progression.

A cool finish from Bobby Zamora levelled proceedings on the night, while Zoltan Gera's 39th minute strike offered hope going into the interval. With the momentum, the Whites pushed forward after the break and their endeavour was rewarded, with Gera stepping up and slotting home a confident penalty four minutes in.

With the game there for the taking, chances fell for Fulham, before Dempsey stepped off the bench for a sumptuous finish that floated over Antonio Chimenti and into the far corner of the goal. With eight minutes left on the clock, the Cottage was bouncing with euphoria.

"It was a fantastic night, especially when you consider the fact a lot of people had already counted us out," said Clint, talking exclusively to Fulhamfc.com. "It was a great performance and the players, the Manager and the coaching staff all deserve a lot of credit.

"We took our chances and that was important. Bobby scored another brilliant goal, while Zolly showed his class with two great finishes, particularly the one from the spot. That set it up nicely for me, and I did what I needed to do. But without those strikes from the other guys, I wouldn't have been in that position.

"This was a great comeback and is without doubt up there in the Club's greatest ever victories – and it's amazing to have played a part in that."

Fans have got used to big name casualties at Craven Cottage, with Manchester United and Liverpool dismissed with relative ease this season. Thursday's result, perhaps takes the 2009-10 season to even greater heights.

"There's just something about playing at the Cottage," he explains. "It seems to bring out the best in us. We are always able to create chances here and now we've added Juve to a list of great clubs to come unstuck here. We've made a bit of a habit of that and it's a nice feeling.

"We have a lot of confidence at home and tonight was always going to be difficult. That said, we knew we were very much in this game and even when we went a goal down after a couple of minutes we had the belief to turn things around. This is a team that just never gives up."

It was a welcome return for the 27-year-old, who had missed seven weeks of action following a knee injury. Having returned in first-leg, Dempsey was back to his best, and timing his return to perfection.

"It's always great to score a goal," says Clint. "I have said in the past that it is a difficult feeling to describe. That was certainly one of the best goals that I have scored.

"It's just good to be back and playing my part again. I've been working hard in getting back and tonight was a reward for several weeks of frustration – it had been a long wait. But I've put the injury behind me, and all I want to do is finish the season strongly."

With Fulham continuing to impress in the League, and with a FA Cup Quarter-Final Replay with Tottenham up next on Wednesday, the Whites now have another Quarter-Final to look towards, reaching the last eight UEFA Europa League.

"It's an incredible achievement for the Club," adds Clint. "You always want to do special things in your career and I think we are on another step to something very memorable. Hopefully we can keep going, and it would be nice to think that our European adventure can keep on track for a while yet."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/DempseyJuventusReaction.aspx#ixzz0iZpjiHAZ

White Noise

From the Other Side

Thursday 18th March 2010

Fulham FC News

Looking back on Thursday's historic game at Craven Cottage between Fulham and Juventus, visiting manager Alberto Zaccheroni gave his assessment of the match:

"We are disappointed with the result," he said.
"We feared Fulham and they played well but as soon as we went down to 10 men we struggled.
"There is no doubt that our defence needs to be improved. It is a shame because we really wanted to progress to the next round of the tournament.

"We had scored first, and were playing well, but the sending-off of Cannavaro gave them the lift they needed. They began to pressure us, and we suffered.

"Overall, they were much better than us, and they had the will to play a dynamic match.

"The team was doing well with two players behind the striker, but this was when it was 11 versus 11.

"Even with 10 players, we should have done better. It is frustrating to go out of the tournament in this way."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/AlbertoZaccheroniReaction.aspx#ixzz0iZq4mjdM

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/18/fulham-juventus-europa-league

Clint Dempsey crowns Fulham's Europa League win over Juventus     

UEFA Europa League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Fulham 4 Zamora 9, Gera 39, Gera (pen) 49, Dempsey 82 
Juventus 1 Trezeguet 2 

Kevin McCarra at Craven Cottage guardian.co.uk,

Thursday 18 March 2010 21.56 GMT

There cannot have been a greater day in the history of Fulham. This triumph, after being 4-1 down on aggregate, will stand as a monument to Roy Hodgson's profound work at the club. The manager will shy away from such a suggestion, preferring to consider the days to come, particularly those in the quarter-finals of the Europa League.

Juventus, aristocrats of Serie A and twice winners of the European Cup, have fallen at Craven Cottage. Decisions such as the red card for Fabio Cannavaro when the score on the night was 1-1 will undoubtedly rankle. Another dismissal in stoppage time, when Jonathan Zebina kicked Damien Duff on the back of the leg, was of no consequence.

It will be the winning goal that becomes a touchstone for Fulham in years to come, whenever they have to convince themselves that extraordinary feats are feasible. Juventus, for their part, will find that the name of Bjorn Kuipers lingers. The referee's interpretations were draconian for Alberto Zaccheroni's men.

Fulham can be only slightly more startled by this outcome than their opponents, since Hodgson's side had not won in five matches, including their 3-1 defeat in Turin. Evenings of this sort have a logic that is disconnected from whatever has gone before.

Juventus were conquered by a goal of almost unfeasible delicacy from the substitute Clint Dempsey. After 82 minutes he cut in from an angle on the right and floated the ball high into the far corner of the net. At the age of 39 the visitors' goalkeeper, Antonio Chimenti, must have been relishing this occasion. Now he must carry its memory into his retirement.

The images of the night, for Fulham, will have joyous permanence. It could not have been anticipated that they would cut loose but a goal for Juventus in the second minute, when David Trezeguet slotted home, compelled Hodgson's men to be bold. Their centre-forward set the example for everyone else. A watching Fabio Capello really will have to give thought to Bobby Zamora's credentials for England. The striker has prescience to go with penalty-area potency. He had the seeming effrontery before the match to suggest that the 36-year-old Cannavaro, who captained Italy to the 2006 World Cup, is now a weak link.

The Fulham centre-forward vindicated the claim by overwhelming his marker to equalise before having a part in the move that brought the red card for the defender. Everyone at the club shared in the striker's sense of conviction.

It says everything for Hodgson's status that the 3-1 defeat in the first leg felt like a disappointment. Fulham could scarcely hope for a better manager. After all, he has known the heights of the game and in the Uefa Cup, this tournament's predecessor, it took a penalty shoot-out with Schalke 04 to deny his Internazionale side in the 1997 final. He has galvanised his current players and there are no grounds to scoff at the team's hopes in the Europa League.

Juventus would have realised from the outset that Fulham had faith of a markedly physical sort. Cannavaro was outmuscled in the 12th minute as Paul Konchesky crossed and, with the defender on the ground, Zamora controlled the ball on his chest before lashing a drive past Chimenti.

The goalkeeper and his colleagues were never allowed a quiet moment in which to regain composure. After 27 minutes Zamora fed Zoltan Gera and the midfielder went down as Cannavaro challenged. The left-back, Fabio Grosso, seemed well-placed to cover but Kuipers dismissed Cannavaro. Fulham then displayed their professionalism by making the most of their advantage.

A flick from Zamora found Simon Davies and his cut-back was converted by Gera six minutes from half-time. Fulham kept the opposition under stress and levelled the aggregate score in the 48th minute, although it seemed harsh that a penalty should be awarded when, at close range, Duff's cross came off the arm of Diego. Gera sent Chimenti the wrong way from the spot.

Fulham had grown irresistible on an extraordinary night. Juventus will vehemently reject the calculation but Hodgson's men had been convinced that luck had gone against them in the tournament, despite their progress. The fates swung behind them in the shape of a constantly sympathetic official but there was far more than that to their win.

Cannavaro, for instance, was in distress before he was sent packing. Juventus, furthermore, would not have assumed that being cut to 10 men would be fatal. Fearful Fulham fans must have been muttering to one another about the dark Italian art of draining the life out of a game. That knack evidently has not been passed down to this generation in Turin.

Their greatest problem remained the gusto of Fulham. It could not have been anticipated since Hodgson's men had scored only four goals once this season. A 4-0 drubbing of Notts County could never have been interpreted as a harbinger of glory in an encounter with renowned Juventus.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/match/3104726

Fulham v Juventus

Match facts

UEFA Europa League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Thursday 18 March 2010 18.00

Score line 
Final score  Fulham  4 – 1
(HT 2 – 1)
  Juventus 
Zamora 9
Gera 39
Gera (pen) 49
Dempsey 82
  Trezeguet 2

Fulham win 5-4 on aggregate 
Aggregate Fulham 5 – 4 Juventus
Bookings Konchesky 90
  Camoranesi 12
Diego 48
Felipe Melo 90

Sent off   Cannavaro 27
Zebina 90

Fulham's Percentage Juventus's Percentage

Corners 8 88%  1 12% 
Goal attempts 15 71%  6 29% 
On target 9 75%  3 25% 
Fouls 17 47%  19 53% 
Offside 6 60%  4 40% 

Fulham Mark Schwarzer, Stephen Kelly (Clint Dempsey, 72), Paul Konchesky, Brede Hangeland, Chris Baird, Aaron Hughes, Zoltan Gera (Bjorn Helge Riise, 85), Damien Duff, Dickson Etuhu, Simon Davies, Bobby Zamora 

Juventus Antonio Chimenti, Fabio Cannavaro, Fabio Grosso (Alessandro Del Piero, 85), Jonathan Zebina, de Carvalho Felipe Melo, Hasan Salihamidzic, Mauro German Camoranesi (Paolo De Ceglie, 52), Mohamed Sissoko, Antonio Candreva (Zdenek Grygera, 29), Ribas da Cunha Diego, David Trezeguet 

Referee Kuipers, B

Venue Craven Cottage

Attendance 23,458

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/18/roy-hodgson-fulham-juventus-europa-league

Fulham's Roy Hodgson on top of the world after beating Juventus

• 'It is not going to get better than this'

• Hodgson hails astonishing comeback

David Hytner at Craven Cottage guardian.co.uk,

Thursday 18 March 2010 22.42

Roy Hodgson could savour the completion of a remarkable journey, as Fulham staged perhaps the finest comeback of their history to advance themselves as a 21st century European force.

The manager had recalled, on the eve of this Europa League last-16 second-leg fixture, how his team had been "as doomed as doomed could be" towards the end of the 2007-08 season. Yet their progress since they dodged relegation into the Championship has been eye-catching. Established in the Premier League's top 10, they will also have a shot at Wembley in their FA Cup quarter-final replay against Tottenham next Wednesday.

But here, on a pulsating night down by the Thames, Hodgson's players etched their names into folklore. "We should just do a Rocky Marciano and retire now because it's not going to get any better than this," said Hodgson. "This must come close to the greatest night of the club's history. On a personal note, I am not sure I can recall such a recovery. I am on top of the world."

Juventus, in their blinging gold away number, had brought their inimitable swagger to west London. Their starting line-up boasted four World Cup winners while there were two more on the substitutes' bench. You can bet that Mohamed al-Fayed would not have prevented them from shopping at Harrods, as his security people had done to Shakhtar Donetsk's players for the previous round.

The sense of anticipation was palpable yet the main event surpassed all expectations. As Fulham burrowed even deeper into uncharted European territory, Juventus simply melted. It is hard to describe the Craven Cottage atmosphere as white hot. Or intimidating. Visiting supporters from West Ham United, for example, like to taunt their hosts with chants like "You only drink white wine" and "Does your butler know you're here?" But the famous old stadium rocked to a raucous beat as Fulham shrugged off the early setback of David Trezeguet's goal to run their visitors ragged.

"The atmosphere was electric," said Hodgson. "We could not have had a worse start and an uphill task became even more uphill. But I was fully aware that there were 89 minutes to go. By half-time, I thought we were looking good to win." The sight of the great Fabio Cannavaro grasping desperately at Zoltan Gera to collect his 27th-minute red card summed up Juventus's toils. Cannavaro, also badly at fault for Bobby Zamora's goal, laughed when he saw the card's colour.

Rather like Internazionale at Chelsea on Tuesday night, Juventus pushed their licence to grapple to the limit: Fulham corners came to resemble WWE rumbles. But Cannavaro did not escape censure and nor did Jonathan Zebina in injury time, although his dismissal was the result of a more primal expression of frustration, a hack at Damien Duff.

Zebina gave a single-fingered gesture to the Juventus fans as he walked off. "The referee was too strict," said the Juventus manager Alberto Zaccheroni. "The Cannavaro sending-off played a part. Eleven versus eleven, I would not have expected us to be eliminated."

There was stardust up in the stands, not least in the shape of the actor Hugh Grant. He could enjoy four goals for his team and a funeral into the bargain. Gianluca Vialli, the ex-Juventus striker, numbered among the Italians present while Fabio Capello, who played and managed La Vecchia Signora, was there, too. The England manager cannot have failed to be impressed by Zamora who, with 16 goals and counting, has to be considered a wild card for inclusion in his World Cup squad.

"Bob has played well enough this season to at least merit a mention," said Hodgson. Fulham's winner had been advertised as they peppered Antonio Chimenti's goal but, when it came, it was worthy of beating any opposition. Clint Dempsey might never score a better one, a celebration of touch and vision. It provided the fitting finale to a night that Fulham will never forget. "Nine out of 10 times, a shot like that would not have made it," Dempsey said. "But sometimes, you have to go for it. We've gone from relegation contenders to quarter-finalists in Europe. That's life. Everything changes."

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7477941/Roy-Hodgson-Fulham-victory-over-Juventus-in-Europa-League-best-performance-Ive-seen.html

Roy Hodgson: Fulham victory over Juventus in Europa League 'best performance I've seen'

Having knocked out Juventus in such dramatic style, Fulham manager Roy Hodgson last night said he felt like the boxer Rocky Marciano.

By Jason Burt

Published: 6:58AM GMT 19 Mar 2010

Sensational: Fulham defied odds to reach Europa League last eight Photo: GETTY IMAGES
"We should retire like he did when the going is good because it's not going to get any better than this," he said in reference to the boxer who quit, undefeated, aged just 32.

As for the 62-year-old Hodgson, he sounded like a boxer himself when he admitted he felt "on top of the world" after taking Fulham into the quarter-finals of the Europa League and overturning a 3-1 first-leg deficit against Juventus.

And this from a club that so narrowly escaped relegation from the Premier League less than two years ago.

Asked whether it was the greatest night in the club's 130-year history, Hodgson said: "It must come close, mustn't it? The atmosphere was electric from the first minute and we couldn't have had a worse start with a simple goal after one minute and 40 seconds.

"It will be dubbed the best performance since I have been manager, but I've seen a lot since I've been here.

"We had a lot of senior players missing and yet the ones we put in did so well. We have seen outstanding performances from Bobby Zamora and Zoltan Gera as our front players."

Hodgson said he had asked his players to win the match and not worry about the aggregate score. It meant, he said, that having fallen behind so early they still had time to turn the match around.

"The players felt the task I set them was achievable," Hodgson said while admitting he wasn't sure he could remember producing a more extraordinary result in his career.

"To beat Juventus 4-1 with 10 men, 11 men or players missing, it doesn't matter. Look at their bench, it's not too bad, is it? We were still playing a very strong Juventus team and I thought we did well over there and didn't deserve a 3-1 defeat."

Hodgson said he did not have "too much sympathy" for Juve, who had two players sent off although he admitted that the penalty award, although in keeping with the rules, was not something he necessarily agreed with.

"I'm from the old school and believe that hand-balls need to be deliberate," he said before adding of the amazing campaign: "We played our first European match at the end of July and we will now be moving into April. It's a remarkable achievement from the boys."

Juventus coach Alberto Zaccheroni said: "It's not a good night for us. I'm really sorry and disappointed. We feared Fulham and their intensity but we prepared for the match and I think we did well until we were one man down.

"After that we struggled. The referee was strict with the sending off of Cannavaro and it contributed to the final result."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1259059/Roy-wonders-Fulham-stun-Italian-giants-Juventus-reach-Europa-League.html
Roy wonders: Fulham stun Italian giants Juventus to reach last eight of the Europa League

Fulham pulled off a sensational comeback to stun Juventus and reach a European quarter-final for the first time after an extraordinary evening at Craven Cottage.
Trailing 3-1 from the first leg, Roy Hodgson's side achieved the seemingly impossible to win 4-1 and clinch a 5-4 aggregate Europa League success.

Up and away: Fulham's Zoltan Gera celebrates his penalty goal against Juventus
David Trezeguet looked to have ended Fulham's chances with an early goal before Bobby Zamora quickly level led, Zoltan Gera struck twice and Clint Dempsey's superb chip sealed victory. The Italian giants finished with nine men after Fabio Cannavaro and Jonathan Zebina were sent off.
'I'm on top of the world,' beamed 62-year-old Hodgson. 
'I don't know if it is the biggest night in the club's history but it must come close.' 
Hodgson saluted the character of his players after coming back to steal the unlikely win. 
'I was very impressed with how they came back,' said the former Inter Milan boss.   
'We couldn't have had a worse start.

Night to remember: The scoreboard at Craven Cottage
'We went behind to a simple goal which made an uphill task even steeper but even from that point the team started to play well and the crowd got behind us and even at half time I thought we were looking good to win the game. 
'It was never going to be impossible to turn it around and luckily that has happened.' 

In truth Fulham could have beaten Juve's veteran goalkeeper Antonio Chimenti six or seven times with Dickson Etuhu and Simon Davies hitting the woodwork in the second half.   
But it was Clint Dempsey who will go down in Fulham folklore as the man who put the Cottagers through.   
The substitute sealed the victory with a spectacular chip that eluded Chimenti in the 83rd minute to send the capacity crowd at Craven Cottage wild.

Did you hear about the Zoltans? Fulham fan Hugh Grant texts the score to his celebrity mates
Dempsey told ESPN: 'I just thought, what the heck and tried to put it in the far post and it went in. 
'Nine times out of 10 you won't make it but sometimes you've got to take a risk. It's great, we showed a lot of heart and character to fight back but we are in the next round.'
Hodgson will find out who his team will face next in the competition when the draw for the quarter finals is made in Nyon at 2pm tomorrow.   
Until then Hodgson can sit back and take stock of what has been a remarkable European campaign which began with a 3-0 qualifying win over Lithuanian minnows Vetra in July.   
'To get to the quarter final of this competition is extremely good because we played our first match at the end of July and we will still be playing in this competition next month.
'When I reached the final (as manager of Inter Milan) our European campaign was nowhere near as long as this one has been, I think it encompassed 12 games including a two-legged final.   

Juve been framed: Clint Dempsey scores with a clever chip over keeper Antonio Chimenti
'By the end of the next match we'll have played 16 games now and I think it is a remarkable achievement that the boys have done so well.'

Juventus manager Alberto Zaccheroni, meanwhile, said Cannavaro's red card, which was issued for pulling back Gera, turned the game .   
'We are disappointed with the result,' he said.   
'We feared Fulham and they played well but as soon as we went down to 10 men we struggled.   
'I have seen the replay of the incident and I think the referee was too strict.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1259059/Roy-wonders-Fulham-stun-Italian-giants-Juventus-reach-Europa-League.html#ixzz0ibcKguG9

White Noise

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/163868/Fighting-Fulham-destroy-Juventus/

FIGHTING FULHAM DESTROY JUVENTUS  

Friday March 19,2010

By Frank Wiechula  

Fulham 4, Juventus 1

WHEN they are old and grey, the Fulham fans fortunate enough to have been here will tell their grand- children of the implausible, incredible fairytale night when their little, humble team brilliantly deposed  European football royalty.

The innocent youngsters, bedecked in black and white, will surely respond, 'No, we can't believe that, is it a real story?'

But truly it did happen, when Fulham's virgin soldiers brought the famous Old Lady of Turin to her knees and tore her remarkable reputation to shreds with the most astonishing of comebacks, against a team which ended as a bedraggled nine-man outfit at Craven Cottage.

After just two minutes of this never-to-be-forgotten encounter, Fulham were effectively finished, ready to hand in their passports after a memorable Europa League adventure, as David Trezeguet's goal left them 4-1 down against one of the great names in club football.

Juventus, twice European champions, 13-times European finalists in different competitions, 27-times Italian champions, in one of the toughest leagues of all, playing in their 342nd Continental tie, against the virtual novices of Fulham taking part in just their 28th match.

Surely no contest, but Fulham dramatically dragged themselves back from the abyss, refusing to be intimidated or overawed by their opponents, some of whom had won the World Cup.  

They staged one of the great comebacks in European football history – Clint Dempsey's eventual 82nd-minute winner sending their players and fans into dreamland and into a first ever European quarter-final.

Even watching England coach Fabio Capello, who played for and managed the Bianconeri in their all-conquering heyday, must have been rubbing his eyes in stunned disbelief. Fulham got off to the worst possible start imaginable as Trezeguet curled a low shot into the corner with aplomb. If Fulham were shell-shocked they responded in exactly the right stirring manner, equalising through Bobby Zamora within seven minutes.

Left-back Paul Konchesky crossed to the far post and Zamora held off centre-back and Italian World Cup winning captain Fabio Cannavaro, chesting down before coolly rifling home.

Juventus were reduced to 10 men in a pivotal 27th minute, losing their most experienced defender.Cannavaro, 36, Italy's most-capped player, with 132 internationals, was shown a straight red for a professional foul, hauling down Zoltan Gera from Zamora's through ball. Juventus were clearly rattled, Fulham further invigorated. And only a flying one-handed save by veteran keeper Antonio Chimenti, denied Zamora's brilliant left-foot free-kick from arrowing into the top corner.

Fulham were giving it their all, but were having no luck, twice agonisingly denied by the woodwork in the 38th minute. But the Italian dam had to break and it did a minute later as Gera buried his close range shot into the roof of the net – Fulham amazingly just one behind on aggregate now.

Incredibly, three minutes after the restart Fulham scored again to level the aggregate at 4-4. Gera's clever back-heel on the right was crossed low by Damien Duff, Diego stuck out his left hand and referee Bjorn Kuipers pointed to the spot.

Gera's consummately taken spot-kick sent the home crowd even wilder with delight – 40-plus minutes for Fulham to find a winner! Extra-time looked likely but, with eight minutes left, Fulham somehow scored a fourth.

Dickson Etuhu found Dempsey, and the American turned and chipped an absolute beauty into the far top corner past a helpless Chimenti.

And in stoppage time Juventus's misery was complete as defender Jonathan Zebina was shown a straight red for kicking out at Duff. Cue final whistle and delirious fans in pandemonium.

As the players left the field the words of Frankie Valli's song echoed around, "You're just too good to be true, can't take my eyes off you'. It really was one of those magical nights.

White Noise

WHEEL OF FORTUNE ... Gera hails the penalty that made it 4-4 on aggregate

Fulham 4 Juventus 1

From ANDREW DILLON at Craven Cottage,

Fulham win 5-4 on aggregate

Published: 18 Mar 2010

Add a comment (68)

IT WAS a magical victory on an historic night at Craven Cottage.

A night when one of the giants of European football was humbled.

A night with five goals, a penalty, the woodwork twice rattled, two red cards and an electric atmosphere. 

South West London still has a team in Europe and just for once, the nouveau riche up the road at Stamford Bridge have been put in their place by football's establishment.

Fulham last night exhibited everything Chelsea lacked during their dismal defeat by Inter Milan on Tuesday.

They were creative, instinctive, energetic, dynamic and, by the end, ecstatic.

And that was just the fans, who thankfully still remembered to say 'excuse me' as the 23,458 crammed into this tiny ground bundled into the streets outside to party hard with a small dry white.

History is rarely made at this genteel club, especially when money counts for so much in modern football.

This performance was pure romance and from kick-off the heart never stopped thumping until Dutch ref Bjorn Kuipers blew his whistle and sent Fulham into the quarter-finals of the Europa League.

Clint Dempsey's exquisite 20-yard chip which ultimately won the tie with eight minutes to go was spectacular but not out of place - merely the icing on the cake at the end of two superb games.

The fact he was making only his third appearance since a serious knee injury is just an aside in the context of the whole pulsating match.

Fulham looked down and out after just one minute and 38 seconds when David Trezeguet scored.

Brede Hangeland's attempted clearance only found the experienced Frenchman, who finished superbly to apparently kill off the tie. But this was Fulham at their best. Last week in Turin they gave Juve too much respect.

Last night they were written off by most outsiders and probably a few inside too - and so resumed the carefree manner in which they have approached the Europa League all season.

Within six minutes Bobby Zamora had equalised with a clinical goal from six yards.

Still the distance looked too great for Fulham with two goals needed just to send the match into extra time. England boss Fabio Capello was watching, the former Juve manager drawn in by the occasion and a chance to see England outsiders Zamora and Paul Konchesky state their World Cup case.

And pretty soon there were two Fabios spectating as Juve's defensive legend Fabio Cannavaro was rightly sent off on 27 minutes for clambering all over Zoltan Gera.

And that was about the last we saw of the two-time champions of Europe.

They opted to shut up shop and see the game out - but they certainly couldn't see what was coming.

Simon Davies hit the bar with a free-kick and Zamora was unable to react quickly enough to turn in the rebound.

Dickson Etuhu joined the attack and headed against the post. Then, with six minutes of the first half left, Juventus cracked again.

Konchesky found Zamora, whose touch fed Davies on the byline. He turned inside and found Gera to hammer the ball into the roof of the net.

Four minutes into the second half a handball by Diego meant Gera scored his second from the penalty spot and put Fulham into the driving seat.

Davies went close again, Dempsey came on as a sub and had a header pushed away by keeper Antonio Chimenti and Gera had another pop at goal as the evening built towards an incredible climax.

It arrived with a classy finish that triggered delight around much of Craven Cottage, despair in one quarter and perhaps concern in one particular seat.

Capello will have taken note of Dempsey's American passport as he swung the ball high into the box with perfect weight to drop perfectly into the net and clinch an epic win.

Dempsey is back from injury just in time to hit top gear for the World Cup group game against England on June 12.

Juve's misery was complete when Jonathan Zebina was sent off in injury time for lashing out at Damien Duff.

But by then, Juve were dead and buried while Fulham were dusting off the passports again.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2898357/Fulham-4-Juventus-1.html#ixzz0ibe4MZjo

White Noise

Roy's boys are flippin' heroes!

By PAUL JIGGINS

Published: Today

Add a comment (23)

ROY HODGSON watched Fulham KO Juve in one of the great Euro comebacks - and roared: That's as good as it gets!

They stormed back from 4-1 down on aggregate to clinch an unlikely place in the Europa League quarter-finals.

Boss Hodgson said: "We should do a Rocky Marciano and retire while the going is good - it doesn't get any better than this.

"My players constantly surprise me, a fantastic team performance.

"If that's not the greatest night in Fulham's history, it must come close. The atmosphere was electric and it was a great game of football.

"Our goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer had a save to make in the first half but, apart from that and the goal, he was a passenger while the Juventus goalkeeper made four outstanding saves.

"The crowd was fantastic and many will remember this for years to come."

Juve, leading 3-1 from the first leg, seemed home and dry when David Trezeguet put them further ahead after two minutes.

But Bobby Zamora made it 1-1 before Fabio Cannavaro was sent off for the Italians midway through the first half.

Zoltan Gera smashed in a second for Fulham before the break and then scored a 49th minute penalty to make it 3-1 and level the tie overall.

Substitute Clint Dempsey completed the Cottagers' incredible comeback with a sublime chip eight minutes from time.

Juve's misery was compounded when they also had Jonathan Zebina sent off late on for kicking out at Damien Duff.

Hodgson's side host Manchester City on Sunday in what will be Fulham's 49th game of a season that is showing no sign of fading.

He said: "I'm not tired at all. My players do all the running - I feel on top of the world. I just have to make sure this doesn't go to their heads."

The Juventus team bus was pelted by their furious fans as it drove away from Craven Cottage.

Boss Alberto Zaccheroni admitted: "The players are very disappointed. We feared Fulham's intensity but we prepared well."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2898799/Roys-boys-are-flippin-heroes.html#ixzz0ibfV0thR

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/127001/Roy-s-boys-jump-for-joy/

ROY'S BOYS JUMP FOR JOY

19th March 2010

By David Woods

FULHAM 4 JUVENTUS 1 (Agg 5-4)

GAME of the season and goal of the season – that is what Fabio Capello and 23,457  others can claim to have witnessed.

Substitute Clint Dempsey's sublime chip completed Fulham's stunning Europa League comeback against Italian giants Juventus in front of the England boss.

With Cottagers fan Hugh Grant also watching, this was 'Four Goals And A Funeral' as the west Londoners killed off mighty Juve in a fashion which was like something out of a movie.

Before kick-off it looked like Mission Implausible with Fulham 3-1 down from the first leg.

One minute 38 seconds into the game it was more like Mission Impossible as the Serie A side scored through David Trezeguet.

But despite this being their 48th game of the season – and 14th in this competition – Roy Hodgson's men were not fazed, battling back to victory thanks to two goals from Zoltan Gera – one a penalty – and Bobby Zamora and Dempsey strikes.

Aided by some astonishingly noisy support and the dismissal of World Cup-winning defender Fabio Cannavaro in the 27th minute for a professional foul, the side from the banks of the Thames tamed one of the most famous teams in the world.

Yet it all looked so different as the gold-shirted Juve dazzled the home side almost straight from the off.

Hasan Salihamidzic chipped in a hopeful ball from the right and Stephen Kelly tried to stop Diego from turning.

But with the Brazilian stumbling, the ball clipped off Brede Hangeland to Trezeguet, who rolled a left-foot shot just inside Mark Schwarzer's right-hand post from 10 yards.

Zamora hit back in the ninth minute, out-muscling Cannavaro to take a Paul Konchesky cross on his chest before blasting home from just outside the six-yard box.

The match turned after Zamora twisted away from Felipe Melo and sent Gera seemingly through on goal.

Cannavaro clearly used his arms to halt the Hungarian and Dutch ref Bjorn Kuipers had no hesitation in showing the centre-back the red card.

At first Cannavaro laughed in dismay, then argued, but he had to go.

Zamora took the free-kick from 25 yards and forced a superb, one-handed save from Antonio Chimenti.

In the 38th minute a Simon Davies free-kick from wide left curled and dipped on to the bar, with Zamora not quite able to poke in the rebound and Juve clearing frantically for a corner.

Davies' delivery from the corner was perfect for Dickson Etuhu to meet with his head, but his effort hit the outside of a post.

It did not matter because the Cottagers scored an exquisite goal in the 40th minu

Konchesky found Zamora who chipped through to Davies who produced a perfect reverse ball for Gera to side-foot home from close range.

In the 48th minute Fulham earned a penalty, with Diego penalised for handling a Damien Duff cross. Striker Gera took the spot-kick, sending Antonio Chimenti the wrong way.

After a reasonably quiet spell Davies forced Chimenti into a superb save in the 71st minute, then the winger crossed for Dempsey to power a header which the Juve keeper kept out acrobatically.

Then came the goal to grace any match, anywhere.

Dempsey picked up a pass from Etuhu, wriggled away from his marker and let fly a 20-yard world class chip which drifted over Chimenti and into the top corner.

Hodgson could hardly believe it – nor could anyone in the crowd for that matter.

Alberto Zaccheroni threw on legendary striker Alessandro Del Piero for the last five minutes.

But there was no joy for Juve, only another red card with Jonathan Zebina dismissed for a petulant kick at Duff on the touchline.

Then came the final whistle on a night Fulham fans will never forget.

You wonder if Zamora's performance, and that of fellow England hopeful Konchesky at left-back, might be what Capello remembers best of all.

The pair boosted their slim World Cup chances considerably and who knows, after this amazing win what might happen next for Fulham.

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/night-the-europa-league-came-to-life-1923928.html

Night the Europa League came to life

Fulham shock Italian giants to record famous victory at ecstatic Craven Cottage while Torres hits two as Liverpool go through

By Glenn Moore and Ian Herbert

Friday, 19 March 2010

Roy Hodgson, in a rare admission of emotion, admitted he was "on top of the world", after Fulham's astonishing 4-1 humbling of Juventus to reach the Europa League quarter-finals last night. In other success for the Premier League, Liverpool also overcame a first-leg deficit to go through by beating Lille 3-0 at Anfield.

Hodgson is forever being asked, as Fulham go from one unexpected peak to another, whether this is the best performance of his career. Piqued at the English disregard for his long and successful time on the continent he usually demurs. This time he had to admit he had never been involved in a match like it as his side fought back from conceding an early David Trezeguet goal which made it 4-1 on aggregate.

"It must come close to the club's greatest night," Hodgson admitted after Clint Dempsey's audacious chip with seven minutes to go gave Fulham aggregate victory. "The atmosphere was electric from the first minute. We could not have had a worst start but the team started to play, the crowd got behind the team and we put it behind us.

"I've seen a lot of good performances from this team, they constantly surprise me," he added. "We are without players experts say we will miss, but others keep coming in and we don't.

"I always felt the task was achievable. Even when they scored I was aware we had 90-plus minutes to play, and by half-time I thought we were looking good to win. Our players are not as experienced as theirs are, but they have been in situations before and are intelligent."

Fulham have never progressed this far in Europe and while Hodgson has been to a European final, with Internazionale in 1997, he said this was probably a greater achievement. "We started in July, we will still be playing in April and maybe beyond. We have already played 16 games. That is more than I did in reaching the Uefa Cup final with Inter. To get this far in this competition is an achievement, especially as the Champions League clubs come into it."

Juventus are the second Champions League faller Fulham have beaten following their victory in the previous round over Shakhtar Donetsk.

Alberto Zaccheroni, the Juventus coach, admitted he had "feared Fulham's intensity but felt his team had been playing well until Fabio Cannavaro's dismissal for bringing down Zoltan Gera in the 27th minute after Bobby Zamora had made the score 1-1. That, he said, was the turning point and suggested the referee was "too strict" in showing Cannavaro red. Juventus were reduced to nine men in the final minute when Jonathan Zebina was also sent off

"You can't expect me to have too much sympathy with players sent off in this competition," Hodgson said. "We have suffered four or five reds and on each occasion I have felt it was unjust."

Zaccheroni also blamed injured absentees. "They had Del Piero, Iaquinta and Poulsen on the bench," noted Hodgson dryly, "that's a pretty strong bench and it was still a strong team. To beat Juventus 4-1 at any time, with players missing or not, with 10 men or 11, we had to play well."

Rafael Benitez believes his Liverpool side have gained substantial momentum ahead of Sunday's visit to Old Trafford. "We needed some confidence. We played really well the other day and today was good too. We have some confidence and hopefully we can get a result at Old Trafford," said Benitez.

The side played with an intensity which has been virtually unseen in them in Europe this season and it took Lucas Leiva only eight minutes to win a penalty which Steven Gerrard converted. Fernando Torres threatened all night, hitting the side netting before scoring twice in the second half. "He is working very hard with the physios and the fitness coach is really pleased because they are doing a fantastic job, he is very fit but he can improve," said Benitez.

Albert Riera will be transfer listed and suspended until Monday after his outburst against Benitez on Spanish radio this week. Riera attempted to neutralise his comments yesterday. "I have no problem talking to people," Riera said. "The most important thing is the best thing for the club. I am not interested in the slightest in Rafa being my enemy, totally the opposite, I do not want to create trouble, but in this situation I have little chance of going to the World Cup. I am trying to solve the problem so I at least have a small chance." Benitez said: "The timing was not the best for the team and we will deal with this internally."

Europa League: Quarter-finalists

Atletico Madrid, Benfica, Fulham, Hamburg, Liverpool, Wolfsburg, Standard Liège, Valencia

Quarter-final and semi-final draws take place today at noon in Nyon

KCat

Without Dixon's away goal it would have been just another goal .................
They are all  Legands ...............no one member is greater than the sum of the parts

these are the best of times >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> these are the best of times>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
these are the best of times >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> these are the best of times>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8573049.stm

Fulham   4 - 1   Juventus (agg 5 - 4)

By Phil Dawkes 

Fulham produced a stunning second-leg comeback against nine-man Juventus to make the Europa League quarter-finals.

David Trezeguet appeared to have ended the tie with an early goal for Juve but Bobby Zamora soon fired Fulham level.

Fabio Cannavaro's sending off for a professional foul on Zoltan Gera swung the game in Fulham's favour before the Hungarian's neat finish put them ahead.

Gera's penalty levelled the tie overall and substitute Clint Dempsey's chip won it before Jonathan Zebina was sent off.

Fulham fans have been treated to some inspiring Europa League football this season, and their side did not disappoint, once again putting on a gripping and passionate display.

The Cottagers, trailing 3-1 from the first leg at the Stadio Olimpico di Turin, still retained hope of reaching the last eight due to Dickson Etuhu's solitary away goal.

That Juventus did their utmost to extinguish such fragile belief by taking the lead inside three minutes and still failed is largely a testimony to the spirit and belief that permeates through Roy Hodgson's side, and partly owing to the controversial decision of referee Bjorn Kuipers to send off Cannavaro.

The intent of Cannavaro's foul - the result of a clash with Gera as he eyed a clear route to goal - was uncertain and there was a likelihood that Zebina could have covered the Hungarian midfielder's run but Kuipers felt a goal-scoring opportunity had been denied and showed the Italian national captain a straight red.

The dismissal ended what had been an albeit brief mauling for Cannavaro at the hands of the Fulham front line, and England hopeful Zamora in particular, who made good on his pre-match promise to get the better of the World Cup winner.

The Italian was brushed aside with ease by the big frontman, who then fired the ball into the net from 10 yards to bring Fulham level on the night after Trezeguet's opener.

It was a timely response to Juventus' third-minute strike, scored by the French forward via a well-taken side-foot finish to the corner of the net after Fulham had failed to clear a Hasan Salihamidzic left-wing cross.

Cannavaro's dismissal in the 26th minute was equally well-timed for the home side, giving them the majority of the game in which to capitalise and they almost did so immediately from the free-kick resulting from the defender's costly foul.

Juve's 39-year-old third-choice goalkeeper Antonio Chimenti made an error-strewn first start of the season against Siena at the weekend as the Turin side let slip a 3-0 lead to draw 3-3, but he was on hand to tip Zamora's set-piece over the bar.

Twice later in the half Chimenti was beaten, but on both occasions the woodwork came to his rescue, firstly from a Simon Davies free-kick from the left and then from Dickson Etuhu's header from a corner.

But neither goalkeeper nor goal frame could prevent Fulham taking the lead on the night in the 39th minute.

Again Zamora was central, flicking cleverly to Davies on the left and from the midfielder's first-time cross Gera was on hand to side-foot into the roof of the net from six yards.

Just four minutes into the second half Fulham levelled the tie.

A backheel from Gera released Damien Duff and when Diego's hand cut out the resulting cross in the box, a penalty was awarded which the Hungarian duly dispatched with aplomb for his second of the game.

After a lull in the tempo of the match, Hodgson introduced Dempsey from the bench in place of Stephen Kelly and with practically his first touch - a header from a Davies cross - he would have put Fulham ahead overall for the first time in the tie but for Chimenti's save.

The American midfielder did not have to wait long for his moment to win the tie for his team and when it came he claimed it in sensational style.

Collecting the ball on the edge of the area, and with the Juve defence backing off, Dempsey produced a stunning chip that floated over Chimenti and into the far top-corner of the goal.

The goal sparked delirium from the home crowd and petulant displays of frustration from the Italians during the remainder of the match.

One of these was to further tarnish their evening as defender Zebina kicked out at Duff on the right-hand touchline and was deservedly dismissed in stoppage time.

It was an unsavoury moment on which to end the match but nothing was to deny Fulham their jubilant and richly-deserved denouement.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3253323,00.html

Fabulous Fulham sink Juve

Old Lady crash out and end game with nine men after 4-1 defeat

By James Riach   

Last updated: 19th March 2010   

Fulham advanced to the quarter-finals of the Europa League after a superb performance saw them defy the odds to beat Juventus in one of the greatest nights in the club's history.

Trailing 3-1 after the first leg in Turin, going into the game at Craven Cottage Roy Hodgson's men knew they were up against it, and they started in the worst possible fashion as David Trezeguet fired the away side in front after just two minutes.

But Fulham's heads did not drop and they equalised when the fantastic Bobby Zamora chested a cross down and fired past Juve's third-choice goalkeeper Antonio Chimenti on nine minutes.

The game changed soon later when Fabio Cannavaro was sent off for a tug on Zoltan Gera, and the Hungarian put Fulham in front on 39 minutes - firing into the net from close range.

Gera scored from the penalty spot four minutes after the break and Clint Dempsey sealed the win with a sublime chip with just eight minutes of normal time remaining - the Italians ended with no dignity and finished the game with nine men as Jonathan Zebina saw red late on.

Brede Hangeland passed a fitness test to line up at the heart of Fulham's defence as they looked to overturn the deficit from the first leg.

The Norway defender had been struggling with a chest injury but made the Cottagers' starting XI along with Zoltan Gera, Damien Duff and Dickson Etuhu as Hodgson's side looked to progress to the last eight of the competition for the first time.

Third-choice Chimenti, 39, started in goal for Juventus but there was no place for Alessandro del Piero in Alberto Zaccheroni's team.

Bad start
Any hopes of the Cottagers gaining a foothold in the match looked slim when

David Trezeguet gave Juve the lead in the second minute.

Hasan Salihamidzic's curling cross found Diego, who shrugged off Stephen Kelly and Hangeland to lay the ball off to the French striker, who neatly beat Mark Schwarzer.

The visitors' lead lasted just seven minutes, though, thanks to Zamora's 16th of the season.

The former Spurs striker vowed on Wednesday that he could get the better of Italy defender Fabio Cannavaro and he did just that by overpowering the World Cup winner to chest down Paul Konchesky's cross before beating Chimenti with a volley.

Fulham began to take control and Cannavaro had to be quick to beat Zamora to the ball inside the six-yard box 17 minutes in.

The game was being played at an intense pace and took a dramatic twist in the 27th minute when Cannavaro was sent off for colliding with Gera after the

Hungarian was played through by Zamora.

It was a decision that incensed the Juve team and caused Zaccheroni to replace forward Antonio Candreva with Zdenek Grygera.

Veteran keeper Chimenti showed no sign of his age from Zamora's resulting free-kick as he pulled off a flying one-handed save to deny the 29-year-old.

The Cottagers then hit the woodwork twice within a minute as they piled on the pressure.

First Simon Davies' wicked free-kick cannoned back off the bar before Etuhu's point-blank header struck a post.

Juve seemed to be buckling under the pressure and found themselves 2-1 down when Gera fired into the roof of Chimenti's net after an incisive pull-back from Davies in the box to make it 3-4 on aggregate at half-time.

Buoyed by their first-half performance, Fulham continued to pile on the pressure after the break and it soon paid off when Diego was adjudged to have handled Duff's cross in his own box.

Referee Bjorn Kuipers booked the Juve forward and pointed to the spot and Gera held his nerve to beat Chimenti to level the scores on aggregate.

Defensive change

If the scores remained the same, the game would go to extra time and Zaccheroni decided to bring on Paolo de Ceglie for Camoranesi to shore up his defence and deny Fulham a fourth.

Diego's curling cross then had to be cut out by Kelly inside the box as the Bianconeri looked for a second away goal that would all but kill the tie.

Gera thought Fulham should have had a second penalty on the hour when he went down under pressure from De Ceglie and Grygera but referee Kuipers waved play on.

Hodgson, sensing that one more goal would win it, replaced Kelly with forward Dempsey and pushed Gera out to his natural position on the left wing.

The American was soon in the thick of the action as his pass set up Duff but the former Chelsea winger's pull-back failed to find a Fulham player in the box.

Dempsey drew a brilliant save from Chimenti with a free header from seven yards out.

Chimenti then awkwardly punched Gera's shot away as Fulham stepped up their hunt for a winner

Juventus' own attempts to find a winner came mainly from counter-attacks, but in truth the one-man disadvantage was clear.

Dempsey then sent the Craven Cottage crowd into raptures with his 83rd-minute strike.

The American took advantage of some slack defending from Zebina to drift a beautifully crafted chip past Chimenti.

Juventus were reduced to nine men when Zebina was sent off for lashing out at Duff and Fulham played keep-ball for the remainder of the match to round off a memorable night for the West London club.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3253323,00.html

Fulham Player ratings  Player Our Rating Your Rating Rate player

Mark Schwarzer  0 8.3  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Brede Hangeland  0 8.5  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Paul Konchesky  0 8.4  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Aaron Hughes  0 8.2  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Chris Baird  0 8.2  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Stephen Kelly  0 7.8  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Simon Davies  0 8.2  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Dickson Etuhu  0 8.2  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Bobby Zamora  0 9.1  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Damien Duff  0 8.8  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Zoltan Gera  0 9.4

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/EuropaProgramme.aspx

Historic Souvenir
Friday 19th March 2010

Fulham's glorious 4-1 UEFA Europa League Round of 16 victory over Juventus is already being talked about as one of the greatest matches in our long and proud history.

And if you were unable to attend the game, or missed the opportunity to pick up the lasting memento that was the special edition, perfect-bound Matchday Programme, all is not lost.

You can still get your hands on your own piece of Whites history by visiting programmemaster.com| and ordering the Fulham v Juventus, UEFA Europa League last 16 second-leg matchday programme now. Hurry, whilst stock lasts.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/EuropaProgramme.aspx#ixzz0id5Bi2mZ