more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Movement from throw-ins

Started by NogoodBoyo, January 27, 2010, 01:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NogoodBoyo

.....look for the ball.
I have a theory.  Statisticians should analyse how many times Fulham keeps the ball from throw-ins (should be throws-in?!?).
This shows a midfield that's intent on doing something with the ball.
Last night was interesting.  Baird would wait, look, wait, look, wait before throwing to a midfielder who had been shamed into coming towards him.  On occasion he would even gesticulate furiously to get some movement from the midfield.  Hughes would just lob it up into the air towards the furthest man forward who was usually smothered by 2 or 3 Spurs players.
With both options we invariably lost the ball.
Spurs always had players moving for their throws.  Invariably they kept the ball.
Am I missing something here?  Should this not be a basic fundamental of modern coaching?  How to keep possession?
That's why I feel the wide midfield players broke the game-plan and cost us the game last night.  They were hiding from the ball! 
Nogood "bit harsh but interesting nonetheless" Boyo

RidgeRider

Good point Boyo, not sure what was going on there. Pantsil, Dempsey, and Konch usually have the throw in duties and perhaps the reason is, is they make quicker decisions.

fulhamguy

Great point and great post!
Or was it just cos it was Baird?!
COYW!

The Swan

I know that I am going back a long way but the best receiver of a throw in was Les Barrett.
All he did was to move to the thrower and then turn round and run past his marker. This move worked every time and we went on to score many goals from this.
I agree that our throw ins are useless and we can't even find our own players.
The Swan

NogoodBoyo

My point wasn't so much the lack of quality of the throw-ins (although they weren't great), it was more about our midfield players (mostly wide midfield players) seemingly hiding from the ball.  I used to notice that a lot in Coleman's teams.
I hope Sir Roy noticed it too as it needs improving.
Nogood "not noticing, isit" Boyo

leonffc

Quote from: RidgeRider on January 27, 2010, 01:52:27 PM
Good point Boyo, not sure what was going on there. Pantsil, Dempsey, and Konch usually have the throw in duties and perhaps the reason is, is they make quicker decisions.

hhahahaahahahahaahhaahahahaha, Konch making quick decisions. Thats the funniest thing I've heard in 3 seasons.
I agree with nogood 'spot on fella' boyo. We have been woeful for many a year with our general movement when we have a throw in, something that I have raised many a time.

mccscratch

I actually think throw ins have bene quite an issue over the past 2 years... nothing much ever comes from them.. I would say we retain the ball about 50% of the time if that... nobody moves off the ball or tries to create space with a ling throw down the line... it is kind of U14 ish
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

NogoodBoyo

Ok - we all agree.  Over to you Sir Roy and Lord Lew.
Nogood "throwing it at the wall to see if it sticks, isit" Boyo

RidgeRider

Quote from: leonffc on January 27, 2010, 09:04:15 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on January 27, 2010, 01:52:27 PM

hhahahaahahahahaahhaahahahaha, Konch making quick decisions. Thats the funniest thing I've heard in 3 seasons.
I agree with nogood 'spot on fella' boyo. We have been woeful for many a year with our general movement when we have a throw in, something that I have raised many a time.

I wasn't talking about his defensive decisions Mr. Leon.  ;)

epsomraver

I really agree Boyo, it really has annoyed me for ages, the problem is though that even watching the reserves at MP they do exactly the same, throw it along the line to a Fulham player who is surrounded by opponents, the other thing that rankles is why we have 11 behind the ball for corners and set pieces, it crowds the area, there is no one to collect it if we clear it and also by leaving a man or two up you then make the opponents leave at least two men back to mark up, it all seems basic tactics to but do I know boyo!

Fernhurst

LB mentioning Les Barrett made me think of the many times I saw Les do this and it quite often it produced a chance:

Imagine (for the sake of description) there is a line which extends the penalty area boundary line out to the touchline.

Les used hang about a bit and then run along the imaginary line toward the touchline and the thrower (pre arranged) would throw it past him and he would turn and sprint after it resulting in being on the edge of the box with the ball at his feet.
Saw the Spuds use it the other night with Modric taking the Les Barrett role.

Only takes a bit of common dog fat lads ;)

LBNo11

...in response to another post by Fernhurst that is similar, I mentioned that talking to WhiteJC on Saturday and we commented on that fact that at throw-in's and free kicks our players are static, no movement and the player taking the throw-ins looks frustrated as nobody seems to want to take the responsibility of receiving the throw, you can see and hear them shouting at their team-mates to come to receive the ball!

Also as mentioned at free kicks everyone seems to be on parade, nobody is moving, milling around, running across the wall, dummy running down a flank to distract defenders, is it any wonder that we hardly ever score from free kicks.

The last time I witnessed a training session where they had attack v defence games if the ball went out they would just kick it back into play - this may be part of the problem, we need to practice all aspects of the game to include dead-ball situations and run on with dummy moves to throw the defenders off our intentions...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC