watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham Away

Started by CorkedHat, March 27, 2010, 11:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

I am prepared to bet in the true tradition of Fulhamish that we'll struggle against cellar dwellers like Hull and be lucky to walk away with a point.
I don't know what it is about our beloved team but not in the sixty years of me following them have we been world beaters away from home.
Of course we have had our moments, particularly under Tigana and didn't we once put eight past Halifax at The Shay?
But without delving into the records book – primarily because I don't have one – I bet our away record is one of the most dismal amongst all Premiership clubs.
Why is this do you think?
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

epsomraver

I hope Corky that they will be stung by Wednesday and to prevent Roy pulling his face off again they will really go for it I HOPE!! but I agree it is Fulhamish to go to places like Hull and lose,  we gave them barstewards 6 points last season!

bog

You shade me by 3 years an I totally agree. Yes it was 8-0 at The Shay and I recall a 6-1 at Doncaster just before we played United in the semi final in 1958. Jimmy Hill scored 5 and the now late comedian Charlie Williams was playing in defence for Rovers that now far off day. But our away record has generally remained week. Why? I have no idea. The modern word of mindset seems to need to be re-programmed. No wonder we have a poor away fan base in the league.. 

epsomraver

Tigana had a philosophy that you played the same home or away and wouldn't change tactics at all and went for the win every game. I think with the pressure of staying in the prem, Roy looks to get three at home and one away which leads to some negative performances, hence the poor support away However with pressure off a bit I would hope he will be a bit adventurous but somehow that and Roy don't equate!

OldBrownShoe

I am useless at predicting Fulham's results and thus if go for Hull 1 Fulham 2 the God's of Fulhamish will see to it that we lose. This probably won't work but I am going to predict Hull 3 Fulham 0 and hope that...

Over time we have always been dismal away as the record books will show. We always seem to manage to lose to rotten teams who are in a rotten run of form. Why this should be I have no idea.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

jarv

Under Alec Stock I recall a decent number of away wins. They just went out to attack. Also, cup final season, on the way to wembley, away wins at carlisle (first division then) and everton of all places.

epsomraver

In the cup, Jarv a draw is no good so we had to go for the win.

Fernhurst

Very interesting subject.... trying to fathom the answer over 50 years, I keep coming back to the same answer .... OUR PITCH.

Legions of Fulham players have felt comfortable on our little sod of grass and diametrically opposite on the windswept savannahs of those 'orrible pitches up norf'

I've seen many a stat on this board stating our pitch is not small..... BUT.... I think the players down the years we have invested (?) in have not been quite top draw therefore they have managed to make our home "work" for them.

The only time in our history in my memory we were anyway different was 2 seasons under Tigs where our players were so superior to the teams we played we just cruised along on a super highway of confidence. Super Mac's team made up of a younger element of footballer bewitched by Ray Hardfords coaching is the only other era where we played with a freedom and mobility away from home.

Very good issue raised and one the club should address for our long term prospects in the Prem.

This seasons success however may entice 2 or 3 more mobile (and younger) sorts to ply their trade with us and then maybe, just maybe we can go to places like Hull without the fear and trepidation of embarrassing defeat!