more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (04/04/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 04, 2012, 04:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Roy Hodgson wants Ray Lewington on board

Ray Lewington has emerged as a strong favourite to join Roy Hodgson as the new England coach begins to plan his support team.

The 55-year-old is in charge of Fulham's youth development programme and was Hodgson's assistant manager during his three seasons at Craven Cottage.

It is understood Hodgson has already made contact with Lewington, raising the prospect of them reviving the partnership which saw them take Fulham to the 2010 Europa League Final, where they lost to Atletico Madrid.

Lambeth-born Lewington, who began his playing career at Chelsea, also has managerial experience with Fulham and Watford and is well-respected within the game for his coaching abilities. His son Dean, plays for MK Dons.

Hodgson, who has a reputation for working with staff at clubs rather than bringing in large numbers, also looks likely however to add a younger coach to his backroom team, with former England internationals, Phil Neville and Paul Ince, among two names mentioned.

Fulham, meanwhile, are hopeful Martin Jol will be well enough to oversee training tomorrow ahead of Sunday's game with Sunderland.

The manager has missed the club's last two matches due to a chest infection, leaving Billy McKinlay in charge.

Jol had been expected to travel to Merseyside on Tuesday but was not well enough so missed Fulham's 1-0 victory, their first ever win at Anfield.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/roy-hodgson-wants-ray-lewington-on-board-7711599.html

WhiteJC

Q&A with Roker Report

Ahead of Sunday's fixture with Sunderland, I had a chat with the guys at Roker Report about all things Fulham and Sunderland. Here is what they had to say:

1. You've suffered a bit of a dip in form recently. Do you think this is just the O'Neill factor wearing thin or this there a deeper problem that needs to be addressed?
I think it's clear that the initial 'new manager' bounce has passed. Early on in O'Neill's reign we were all singing his praises and amazed at what he was doing "with Steve Bruce's players" now, with results on a mild downturn, we fickle football fans are saying "yeah, but it's Steve Bruce's players isn't it?"... Results have dipped, but given the resurrection we've had under him, he's earned a bit of leeway. The deeper problem is what I've said above, we're short of quality in a few areas, which O'Neill will be looking to address over the summer. A striker who can hit double figures would be the no.1 priority, but areas sucn as defence and in goal, we're pretty solid. Not enough goals or creativity in the side at the minute.

2. Are you pleased with how your season has gone so far?

I think I'm pleased. I think. Prior to the start of the season, the top ten and a good cup run was the aim. Then after suffering such a massive step back under Bruce, expectation changed to just "avoid relegation"... O'Neill dragged us well away from that, and we've had a decent cup run to the quarter finals, and while a top ten finish is possible, I'm not banking on it. Overall, an OK season, but I think we'll improve considerably next season.

3. Were you at all sad to see Steve Bruce go, or were you just glad to see the back of him?

Hahahaha... No, not sad in the slightest. In fact, I nearly organised a street party. Things had become so sad and stale under Bruce. There was little to no organisation, and worst of all, nothing was his fault. A drum he's continuing to pound through the media. It's true that at the end of the 2-1 home defeat to Wigan, there was some unsavoury chanting about Bruce, his roots and his weight, however this was the first time it had ever happened, and was merely born out of a collective frustration at him. He needed to go, by whatever means, and this was a means to an end. Not only had the football played been terrible, the humiliation in games against Newcastle, plus the fact we'd won 3 home games in the calendar year of 2011 under him were grounds enough for a sacking.

4. Where do you think you'll end up in the league this year?

This season it could be anywhere between 8th and 14th. I'll be delighted if we get to 10th or above, but I think we're more likely to end up where we are now in 11th or 12th. I'll take that given the start to the season we had.

5. Who's your most threatening player?

Well the obvious answer is Stephane Sessegnon, but I'd also be on the look out for James McClean who as many will know has come from nowhere to become a very exciting Premier League player. McClean has suffered recently after teams got wise to him and doubled up on him, but against Aston Villa and Bolton Wanderers recently he's got back to his old self a bit, and could be hitting form this weekend against your lot. Nicklas Bendtner might appear to do very little, but it's quite deceptive as we on our own site did a recent study of 'contribution' by minutes, and Bendtner's providing an assist or goal nearly as often as the highly sought-after Sessegnon.

6. What improvements do you need to make over the summer?

We definitely need a striker. Many have talked of a "Martin O'Neill" style striker, which for all intents and purposes means a big man. The most strongly linked name here is Steven Fletcher from Wolves, who I wouldn't mind, but I'd rather we tried to nail Bendtner down to a contract, despite his own reluctance. I'll be honest, I also like the look of Pavel Pogrebnyak, he'd be the perfect fit, although I realise there's little to no chance of signing him. Outside of that, we're pretty set, maybe a right back and a creative midfielder, but over all we need quality not quantity this summer.

7. Who do you see as Fulham's best asset?

If you've asked this question before to other teams you're no doubt sick of the answer, but Clint Dempsey is the one. He's got all the skills, gets plenty of goals and is really a wonderful player. I hope for your sake that you can hold on to him, because he's got the ability to play at a Champions League level I think. He's the kind of player we'd love to have at the club, but it would take a hell of a lot of money and persuasion I think before he'd even consider it. Great, great player. You've got a gem there.

8. How do you think this match will end?

With us a little out of sorts, and a few players looking like they're already on holiday, plus there's not a great deal to play for I think a draw is the most likely result. I'll go for a fairly languid 1-1 draw which does neither side any favours.

Thanks again to Roker Report for answering the questions. You should be able to find my responses to the questions they posed over the coming days.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/5/3/2996100/q-a-with-roker-report?

WhiteJC

Liverpool chairman a Dempsey fan

At first they were just rumours but the talk is beginning to strengthen. The latest club to have solidified their interest in Clint Dempsey appears to be Liverpool, with chairman Tom Werner declaring his admiration for the American midfielder.

Over recent months Dempsey has been linked to clubs all the way across Europe but the feeling has been that Arsene Wenger and his Arsenal team have had to most authentic impetus to lodge a bid over the summer months. It is said they have sent scouts to track Fulham's key player and they have reported back to Wenger favourably.

Having yet again topped Fulham's scoring charts and appearing in the higher echelons of the Premier League's top scorer list, despite plying his trade mainly in midfield, Dempsey is considered to be having a career defining season that has, undoubtedly, perked the ears of many top clubs. Liverpool are but the latest.

Werner's appraisals were short but they were equally sharp: "We never talk publicly about our transfer targets," said the Liverpool chairman. "However, any team would be lucky to have Clint Dempsey playing on their squad."

Quite the acclamation. However, it will remain to be seen as to whether a move to Merseyside would interest Dempsey, who has regularly spoken of his desire to play Champions League football. The only European football at Anfield next season will be the Europa League and Dempsey is a player already aware of the arduous nature of such a campaign.

Whether Werner's eagerness to declare an interest in the player will spark a similar reaction at sides such as Arsenal and Tottenham, both of whom have been linked with Dempsey in the past, remains to be seen. What is a virtual certainty, however, is that these rumours will come to the surface come June.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/5/3/2996161/liverpool-chairman-a-dempsey-fan?

WhiteJC

Fulham chasing Burnley hitman Rodriguez

FULHAM boss Martin Jol is expected to fuel a bidding war for Clarets Golden Boot winner Jay Rodriguez.

The Cottagers have already had a £5m. bid rebuffed for the striker, with the club setting a minimum £8m. pricetag on the 22-year-old.

Fulham, currently ninth in the Premier League, are not expected to meet the Clarets demands. But, with Andrew Johnson and Pavel Pogrebnyak both out of contract in the summer, Jol is believed to have put Rodriguez at the top of his wish list and is gearing up to make a fresh bid to get the ball rolling for his signature.

Newcastle, Norwich, Bolton, newly promoted Southampton and Scottish Premier League champions Celtic are in the hunt for the 21-goal hitman and as the competition intensifies Championship title winners Reading are also keen to draw the England Under-21 cap towards the Madejski Stadium for their return to the top flight.

Everton boss David Moyes is also said to be an admirer of Turf Moor's prized asset and Championship play-off semi-finalists Cardiff City have also joined the race as the list of suitors continues to grow.

Rodriguez, who was included in the PFA Championship team of the season, has a year left to run on his contract, and had been the subject of a £5m-plus offer from the Saints last summer, just months after agreeing a new two-year deal with the Clarets.

Regarding the increased speculation linking him with a move away from his beloved Clarets, Rodriguez said: "I've had another enjoyable year with Burnley. It's a pleasure to play at Burnley.

"I'm still a Burnley player, I'm still contracted, and that's what I look forward to. Next season I'm looking forward to working hard and getting myself fit and see what happens. I don't listen to any speculation, you hear it but that's about it. It's really nice. It builds your confidence, especially with the teams surrounding the speculation. But for me I'll just keep myself to myself and continue working on my own game. As from now I'll just be working hard."

And on the most prolific season in his young career, and the ovation received on making a substitute appearance in the final game of the season against Bristol City, he added: "Scoring 21 goals has been a dream for me. I wanted more goals with the chances I've missed but I'm probably too critical. With the games I've missed as well I'd have liked to think I'd have scored a few more. But I'm happy with the season.

"It's amazing when you hear them singing about you. It's one of the best feelings in the world, you can't put it in to words. It's one of those feelings I never thought I'd experience so it's really pleasing."

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/sport/football/burnley-fc/fulham-chasing-burnley-hitman-rodriguez-1-4512951

WhiteJC

Youth Team Set For Fulham Semi

City's Under-18s will travel to Fulham in their Premier Academy League play-off semi-final on Saturday, as the Foxes look to take another step towards a second national academy title in five years.

Having finished top of Premier Academy League Group B thanks to their 4-1 win over Charlton last week, the City youngsters advanced to the semi-finals alongside fellow group winners the Cottagers, Newcastle United and Blackburn Rovers.

The winners of both one-off semi-finals will go head-to-head in a battle for the Premier Academy League crown the following weekend.

The young Foxes head south in fantastic form, having stormed their way to the top of Group B by picking up 23 points from the last 27 on offer during the regular season, hitting a spectacular 29 goals on those nine games.

They will also be boosted by the recent involvement of Youth Team regulars in the first team setup, with leading scorer Harry Panayiotou heading into the tie on the back of his debut winner at Leeds United last Saturday.

Saturday's game against Fulham takes place at the Cottagers' Motspur Park training ground and kicks off at 2pm.

http://www.lcfc.com/page/AcademyNewsArticle/0,,10274~2758917,00.html?

WhiteJC

I Want to Stay at Fulham - Pogrebnyak

Fulham and Russia forward Pavel Pogrebnyak is in talks to sign a contract extension with the club, he told RIA Novosti on Thursday.

Pogrebnyak is on loan for Fulham until the end of the season, when his contract with Stuttgart expires and he becomes a free agent. He has scored 6 goals in 10 appearances, earning the praise of coach Martin Jol and reportedly raising the interest from some other English clubs, including Aston Villa and Sunderland.

"I would like to stay in England, in Fulham," Pogrebnyak said. "That's what we are working on now."

Fulham are anchored in mid table, with two games to improve upon ninth position.

The 28-year-old favored Manchester United to win the title race against local rivals City due to easier final games.

"Manchester United will be the champions," said Pogrebnyak. "They will beat Swansea and Sunderland, while City won't beat Newcastle," he said.

After starting his career at Spartak Moscow, Pogrebnyak moved around several Russian sides before settling at Zenit St. Petersburg, where he won the UEFA Cup in 2008, and scored 22 goals in 58 games.

He scored 15 goals in 68 appearances at Stuttgart over two-and-a-half seasons, and has eight goals in 31 appearances for Russia.

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20120503/173200884.html?

WhiteJC

Defensive Player of the Week: Brede Hangeland

Fulham play their first home game in three matches on Saturday, having only lost once at Craven Cottage since the start of 2012.

The team returns to West London after a week of mixed fortunes on Merseyside, that delivered a humiliating loss and a fine defensive triumph.

Last Saturday saw the Lilywhites crash to a 4-0 defeat at Goodison Park against a resurgent Everton, who were inspired by recent signings Nikica Jelavic and Steven Pienaar.

But Wednesday evening saw a dramatic change in fortunes for the better, when the Cottagers delivered a fine defensive performance against Liverpool, after an early own goal by Martin Skrtel had put the Londoners ahead.

Marshalling the forces on both evenings was Brede Hangeland, the giant Norwegian who is now approaching 150 appearances for the club he joined from FC Copenhagen.

Despite a season defined by patchy away form, the Fulham defence has remained strong at their riverside home, with their only defeat at home since the New Year coming at the hands of Swansea in March.

Sunderland visit on Saturday, and the Black Cats have only scored two goals in their last five outings - and those strikes came against strugglers Bolton.

If Hangeland is to lead the Fulham defence to another home clean sheet, he will have to keep fellow Scandinavian Nicklas Bendtner quiet all game.

The Dane revelled in a hot streak of form during March, but has subsequently netted only one goal in all of April, suggesting that his mind could already be turning towards the challenges ahead at Euro 2012.

Hangeland is yet to score in the Premier League this year - a disappointment after his six goals last year.

But he still goes forward at corners and free kicks, and still has that immensely strong neck and head to power the ball home when he connects on a delivery.

He still has one last chance to grab a goal this season in front of his home faithful, so the upcoming match the perfect chance to use up one of your last few transfers of the season to steal a march on your rivals during the Fantasy League run-in.

http://www.fantasyleague.com/Articles/FantasyFootball/PremierLeague/defensive_player_of_the_week_030512.aspx?

WhiteJC

Kacaniklic hails winning mentality as Fulham end Anfield hoodoo

Alex Kacaniklic believes Fulham have developed a winning mentality under Martin Jol, as they look to finish the Premier League season on a high.

As they ended the month of September without a single league win to their name, some were predicting a campaign of struggle for the Cottagers. However, Jol was given time to implement his own ideas and style at the capital club, and with just two matches remaining, a relegation fight has been off the agenda for some time.

Although they were thumped 4-0 at Everton on Saturday afternoon, Fulham bounced back on Tuesday night by recording a 1-0 win in the red half of Merseyside. This was the first time they had ever won at Liverpool, and must have been of particular satisfaction to Kacaniklic. The Swedish youngster spent three years at Anfield before being offloaded when then-Reds boss Roy Hodgson included him in part of the Paul Konchesky deal.

Speaking after the game, the 19-year-old revealed how he and his team-mates have gained a winning mentality under Jol, expressing their determination to end the season on a high by taking maximum points from Sunderland and at Tottenham Hotspur.

"The team is desperate to get as many points as possible between now and the end of the season because we've got a winning mentality," Kacaniklic told the official club website. "Everyone here wants to win and we would never think that we don't have anything to play for. We go into every match wanting to win and we did just that."

It could well be a successful debut season for Jol. Their win on Tuesday has taken them to 49 points, which is the same tally Mark Hughes recorded last season. If they do manage to win their last two matches they will beat their best total in a Premier League campaign, which currently stands at the 53 achieved under Hodgson in 2009. That year they finished in their highest position – seventh – and they can match this as well, albeit only if results go their way in regards to Everton and Liverpool.

Fulham in the Premier League

2001-02: 13th (44 points)

2002-03: 14th (48 points)

2003-04: 9th (52 points)

2004-05: 13th (44 points)

2005-06: 12th (48 points)

2006-07: 16th (39 points)

2007-08: 17th (36 points)

2008-09: 7th (53 points)

2009-10: 12th (49 Points)

2010-11: 8th (49 points)

http://takefootball.co.uk/?p=1360

WhiteJC

Pogrebnyak wants Fulham stay
Striker in talks over long-term deal at Craven Cottage

Pavel Pogrebnyak: Fulham striker has confirmed that he wants to stay at Craven Cottage

Pavel Pogrebnyak has sought to end any uncertainty about his long-term future by confirming his intention to agree a new contract at Fulham.

The Russian striker has scored six goals in 10 Premier League appearances since moving to Craven Cottage from Stuttgart in the January transfer window.

His form has alerted rival clubs to his availability, with Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish a long-term admirer of the 28-year-old.

Sunderland have also been linked with a bid for Pogrebnyak, but the former Zenit St Petersburg forward wants to stay with Fulham.

"I would like to stay in England, in Fulham," Pogrebnyak told RIA Novosti. "That's what we are working on now."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7727385/?

WhiteJC

FULHAM V SUNDERLAND; CLINT'S LAST COTTAGE RODEO?

Fulham v Sunderland; Clint's Last Cottage Rodeo?

The only thing that doesn't change is change itself. As the Premier League season comes to a close and Fulham's final home match is upon us, we know the squad could look quite different come fall. No other player on the team is more likely to leave (not including the dead wood) than Clint Dempsey.

Our Texas import will wait and see what interest is out there for his services this summer. If Champion's League football is something he HAS to have on his resume then he's probably gone. However, only Clint knows what price he'd pay to make that happen. Would he move to France? Germany? Not sure, but if a certain club in North London with a french manager makes a bid, he'll leave, plain and simple.

The other player frequently mentioned leaving is Moussa Dembele. In my opinion this would be a MAJOR mistake on his part. The Belgian would be better served in staying another season and improving his game. Not sure who has his ear, but if it's someone who works on a commission then his best interests aren't being looked after. It would would painful to watch him go to a 'big' club, and find him mired on the bench. If Dempsey were to leave, Moose could slide into his spot, and really see his game take off.

As for the match itself, let's hope for open play. A win would put Fulham one shy of it's best ever Premiership point total (53 in the 08/09 season). Sunderland comes into the match in 11th place on 45 points. The teams met on November 19th in a very forgettable 0-0 draw. Mark Schwartzer denied the Black Cats leading scorer Stephane Sessgnon in second half stoppage time with perhaps his best save of the season. Sessgnon is tied in goals with the injured Sebastian Larsson. Nicklas Bendtner thinks more of himself then his game warrants, but still can find the back of the net.

Prediction; Sunderland comes into the match with the identical away record as Fulham (4 wins, 5 draws, and 9 losses). I like the Mighty Whites to win 3-1. Dempsey will notch his 50th Premier League goal in a Fulham kit in what sadly could be his Cottage (as a Fulham player) swan song.

http://www.fulhamusa.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=90:fulham-v-sunderland-clints-last-cottage-rodeo?&Itemid=57

WhiteJC

FA chief makes approach for Fulham coach Lewington as Hodgson's No.2
The Three Lions made contact with the Premier League club on Thursday afternoon as the new manager of the national team puts together his back room team

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

The Football Association has made an official approach to Fulham for Ray Lewington to join Roy Hodgson's backroom team.

Sources have told Goal.com that FA chairman David Bernstein contacted Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh on Thursday afternoon.

It is understood that the governing body have invited Lewington to be Hodgson's No.2 initially for this summer, with a view to extending the role to England's World Cup qualifying campaign if it goes well.

The FA has offered to cover Lewington's Fulham salary while he is with England and pay the Premier League club a compensation sum for his services.

An arrangement is expected to be agreed swiftly, with Lewington likely to link up with Hodgson officially at the end of the season, when the national team will begin preparations for Euro 2012 with a training camp in Spain.

The FA has no plans to build an extensive permanent coaching team to support Hodgson, unlike his predecessor Fabio Capello, although the governing body are likely to add a younger coach to his support team, with Phil Neville and Paul Ince among the names mentioned.

Lewington, 55, who was Hodgson's assistant during the new England manager's three seasons at Craven Cottage, is currently head of coaching at Fulham. He concentrates on youth development and manages the club's reserve team.

Lambeth-born Lewington, who began his playing career at Chelsea and was Fulham player-manager at just 29, rejoined the west London club in 2005 after managerial spells at Watford and Brentford.

Fulham regard it as a reflection of their coaching set-up to have been approached by the FA. Martin Jol's No.2 Billy McKinlay is the Northern Ireland assistant manager and academy coach Kit Symons is part of the Wales coaching team.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/05/04/3079140/fa-chairman-bernstein-makes-official-approach-to-fulham-for?

WhiteJC

Fulham-SAFC Who are You?: (2) Monty made me a 5-1 winner

A familiar problem descended this week: a game just days away and no one to do the Who are You? No sooner had I started wondering how to fill the gap than not one but two came forward with a Monty-style double save. Roger Meloy, a visitor here last season, came up trumps again with answers from actross the Atlantic, including amemory long enough to recall a canny bet on Sunderland in 1973 ...

Salut! Sunderland: Fulham have had a real up and down season, great results punctuated by heavy defeats, resulting in mid-table safety but a disappointing end to the season. More changes needed?

I think to stay in the Premier you need to make some changes every year. Fulham have invested heavily in youth and we've seen some of those players emerging off the bench. I think we are just a couple of players away from a very good team. Fulham will never compete with the mega transfer fees and wages so they need to have good scouts picking up top young talent from the lower leagues and overseas.

Roy Hodgson for England; Do you wish you still had him and, either way, why is that your view?

Everyone was sorry that Roy left for Liverpool but most could see that was a disaster waiting to happen. Roy's style has been the same every where he's been. Defend from the front, with two banks of four. It made us hard to beat and that's why we got to the Europa final. That was the pinnacle under Roy and I don't think we would have reach those heights again. Probably, mid-table mediocrity. Unfortunately, I don't think Roy will be a success as England manager, for the same reasons he failed at Liverpool. But good luck to him.

What is your honets view of the best a Fulham supporter can hope for given the current hierarchy in football?

I believe most Fulham fans are realistic, based on where we've come from. The best we can hope for is 6th place and a cup final

And do you welcome or – notwithstanding the impact of your own benefactor on Fulham's fortunes – condemn the money-fuelled resurgence of Man City?

Obviously without Al Fayed Fulham wouldn't be in the position they are in today, but I think the money spent by ChelSki and Man City is getting ridiculous. It's way out of proportion to the revenue the clubs earn from gate receipts, TV, sponsorship etc. There needs to be some financial cap in place.

Is it likely thyat Mohamed Fayed willl ever dig deeply into his pockets again?

Al Fayed has always said that Fulham has to be self sufficient. They are pretty close to that and the club is very well run. I don't think Al Fayed will invest heavily in Fulham again. We have to survive on the revenue generated by the club. Sensible transfer fees, wages and look for value is the way forward. We have a 98 per cent occupancy for games and Fulham have plans for a new Riverside stand that will increase capacity to 30,000.

So who is going to win the title race, and who comes third and fourth?

Still think it will be United. City will bottle it. Arsenal 3rd, Spurs 4th

And who is going down with Wolves?

Wish it was QPR but it will be Bolton & Blackburn.

See also: Matty Deller's view ..... http://salutsunderland.com/2012/05/fulham-safc-who-are-you-a-little-in-love-with-lily-allen/

Where will our two clubs finish?

I think the two clubs will finish in the same spots as they are now 9th and 11th.

Johnny Haynes, Jimmy Hill, Tommy Trinder, George Best, Rodney Marsh, Alan Mullery, Lily Allen. Do they all have places in the hearts of Fulham fans and which names ring out most clearly for you?

Really Rodney Marsh was just a youngster at Fulham and made his name at QPR. I do remember the old Division 2 games with Best and Marsh, but realistically they weren't here very long. I didn't like Tommy Trinder and thought he was a bad chairman and really held Fulham back in the 1960s. Alan Mullery was better known as a Spurs player, but remembered at Fulham as the captain that led the 1975 FA Cup Final team. Out of that group it has to be Johnny Haynes. A true legend at Fulham and one of the all-time greats.

How does your present crop of players compare with the best you've seen – or wish you'd seen?

Talent wise, this is the best Fulham squad I've ever seen. In the past there has been some great individuals that have worn Fulham colours, but they have been few and far between. Today's team has a lot more flair players, it's going to depend on a) whether we can keep them and b) if Jol can find the right balance.

How have you managed to keep tabs with Fulham this season?

That has been very easy in the USA. We now have three channels showing Premier League games, so I get to see virtually every Fulham game.

Is there any Sunderland player, past or present or both, that you'd welcome in Fulham colours?

I must admit I don't know much about the current Sunderland team. I really thought Bendtner would do well, but he's been disappointing. I do have Sessegnon in my Barclays fantasy team. In the past we've both had Steed, Paul Bracewell, Andy Melville, Vic Halom, all favourites at Fulham. I guess I would pick Kevin Phillips. But the one that I really remember is Jimmy Montgomery. I backed Sunderland at 5/1 in the 1973 FA Cup Final against the mighty Leeds.

Which game do you most regret having missed?

The Europa League final in Hamburg. I went to the semi at Craven Cottage, but couldn't get to the final. A group of us exiles met up in New Orleans to watch the final so at least I had some company.

Which form of cheating most annoys you and who is/are the worst culprit/s?

Without a doubt diving. Players such as Ashley Young and Adam Johnson are a disgrace. They problem is everyone does it (even some Fulham players). My answer is to have a review panel, with one ex-footballer and two refs look at video of every Premier game. Offenders would get a one match ban and fined a week's wages. That would stop it dead. At the moment the rewards for cheating far exceed the punishment.

And will you be more interested in the Olympics or Euro 2012 this summer?

Euros

Give me Sunday's scoreline!

2-1 to Fulham. I think this will be a classic end-of-season bore.

* Roger Meloy on Roger Meloy:

Supporting Fulham since the mid-1960s, I left England in 1993 and currently reside in Cincinnati, Ohio, in the summer and Sarasota, Florida, in the winter. Luckily, I missed some of Fulham's worst seasons in the lower divisions and became reinvigorated during the Mickey Adams promotion season, followed by the takeover by Al Fayed. I'm one of the early members of the Fulham Exiles. As the name suggests we're a group of Fulham fans that for one reason or another now live aboard. The largest concentration is in the USA, although we have reasonable contingent down under. Most of our communication is through the Exiles message board or chat room, but for the past 11 years we've met in Las Vegas for a couple of beers and a curry!

Interview: Colin Randall

http://salutsunderland.com/2012/05/fulham-safc-who-are-you-2-monty-made-me-a-5-1-winner/?

WhiteJC

Liverpool linked with Dempsey
Anfield chairman Werner says clubs would be 'lucky' to have American

Clint Dempsey: USA international has scored 22 goals this season

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner has hinted at an interest in Fulham star Clint Dempsey.

The Anfield hierarchy normally keep transfer targets as confidential, but Werner has implied the club could be watching his fellow American.

Dempsey has scored 22 goals this season and, with just one year remaining on his contract, has also been linked with a move to Fulham's London rivals, Arsenal.
FA Cup finalists and Carling Cup winners Liverpool are expected to make changes to their squad this summer after an extremely disappointing Premier League campaign.

This would come after spending more than £80million on the likes of Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing and Charlie Adam in the last close-season.

"We never talk publicly about transfer targets, however, any team would be lucky to have Clint Dempsey playing on their squad," said Werner.

Fulham, though, will fight to keep hold of Dempsey and manager Martin Jol has previously insisted the USA international is not for sale ahead of summer talks with the player over a possible contract extension.

Regarding the prospects of keeping Dempsey at Craven Cottage, Jol told Sky Sports in April: "Hopefully we will, because he's still here for next season as well. So we won't sell him, so that is easy."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7729290/?

WhiteJC

Liverpool admit interest in Dempsey as race to sign Fulham star hots up

Liverpool are keeping tabs on Fulham forward Clint Dempsey.

The American has had a stunning season at Craven Cottage, scoring 22 goals in all competitions.

And Liverpool lead a host of clubs desperate to snap-up the 29-year-old.

Wanted man: Liverpool are keen to sign Clint Dempsey (left)

The Anfield club's co-owner Tom Werner admitted: 'We never talk publicly about our transfer targets, however, any team would be lucky to have Clint Dempsey playing on their squad.'

Liverpool could face competition for Dempsey's signature from Arsenal who have already signed Colonge striker Lukas Podolski.

Boss Kenny Dalglish will be given funds to strengthen his squad after a disastrous league campaign that has seen Liverpool risk dropping out of the top 10.

Main man: Dempsey (right) has been lethal in front of goal for Fulham

A potential cup double has eased the pressure on Dalglish but he will be expected to deliver better results in the Premier League next season.;

Liverpool play Chelsea in the FA Cup final on Saturday having beaten Cardiff on penalties to win the Carling Cup at Wembley in February.

Among the club's other transfer targets is Montpellier's Moroccan international Younes Belhanda, another player also on Arsenal's radar.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2139371/Liverpool-want-Clint-Dempsey.html#ixzz1tunFsUsX

WhiteJC

Lewington for England!

With Uncle Roy now sat at the England managers desk, well after he`s sorted out a few loose ends up at the Hawthorns, all thoughts are turning to who Roy will appoint as his back room staff.

One inference, yesterday, was that Roy could turn to his old friend, at Fulham, Ray Lewington, to be his assistant.

Lewington and Roy know each other inside out and with Ray`s role at Fulham probably not being as focal as he`d like, could well be up for the challenge,

We`ll keep you posted!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=281519#ixzz1tunqThaa

WhiteJC

And Now It Is Liverpool

Clint Dempsey continues to be mentioned in despatches!

Already linked with Everton it now seems that the city`s other side, Liverpool, are harvesting ambitions of taking the American international to Anfield.

Owned by Americans, both tabloids I flicked through are inferring that they view Dempsey as the kind of player that they`d love to have in their squad.

Could we be about to see the end of Clint`s career in a Fulham shirt or is it all speculation?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=281520#ixzz1tuo3yNiC

WhiteJC

Fan Focus: Fulham Fan Thoughts From Cottagers Confidential

Right then, as the buildup to this weekend's game continues, we're continuing our coverage from all angles by bringing you some thoughts from a Fulham perspective in Fan Focus.

This week we've spoken to Kristian Balkin from SB Nation's very own Fulham blog, Cottagers Confidential. Kristian has been kind enough to answer our nagging questions, so here's his views on all things Fulham. Their European adventure, their star performers of the season and how they think they hold an advantage over us in this game...

How do you feel Fulham have done this season, and how does the performance compare to your pre-season expectation?

Kristian: Our European campaign was disappointing and somewhat arduous, and it's been a tarnish on our season ever since. We started competitively in June, which, for the players, was tough, and there is a feeling that we should have held our own throughout the group stages. We finished third after conceding in the dying moments of our final group game and after doing so well in 2009/10, it felt like something of a failure. In the league we have fared better but we've made no progress, as such since Hodgson was in charge. Martin Jol clearly has plans for us and it's nice to see them come to fruition but the better we do, it seems, the more likely it is that our best players will end up leaving.

It's clear that Clint Dempsey has had yet another fantastic season, but who else would you pick out as standout performers for the side?

Kristian: As you say, Dempsey has been fantastic this year and has proved our main goal scorer despite not playing as an out-and-out forward. Danny Murphy, as he has always seemed to over the past few years, has gone unnoticed for his genuine influence on the club. When he doesn't play we are an entirely different club and he deserves some rather vast recognition for what he has done for Fulham over the years. As captain, he is an inspirational leader and you won't find many better passers of the ball. There's Moussa Dembele too, who, as he's shown since joining last year, is a specialist with the ball at his feet. He can create something out of nothing but, unfortunately, like Dempsey, he'll probably be poached over the summer.

What do Fulham need to add to make a push further up the league next season, and any names in particular you'd like to see a the club?

Kristian: It's difficult to say because there's a club-wide assumption that both Dempsey and Dembele will be Fulham players to more after this season so, I guess to start with we'd have to replace them. As long as we bring in an effective striker - as well as signing Pavel Pogrebnyak, who has been brilliant since signing - we can cover Dempsey's scoring antics, just not his role in midfield. We've been linked with players in the ilk of Lucas Barrios of Dortmund and while it seems a tad aloof to be targeting them, there's no doubt someone of his quality would complement the Pog wonderfully. We could do with a more consistent right back, although hopefully the return of Zdenek Grygera from injury will cover that issue, while Dembele could be replaced from within by Kerim Frei, who has been sensational when he's played. To summarise, the key areas are upfront and in the replacement of whomever we lose.

I'd consider ourselves and Fulham both in that perennial mid-table of the Premier League. What do you think is the absolute maximum limit to what Fulham can achieve, and similarly Sunderland?

Kristian: I rate Martin O'Neill highly and with him at the helm, you can definitely complete in the Premier League's higher echelons. He can achieve similar feats with Sunderland as he did with Aston Villa because the squads aren't overly mismatched. Top six isn't beyond you guys, it's just with the clubs that are competing up there, that job is ten times more difficult now. The same, I feel, applies to us, the only difference being is that it's a given that we will lose the quality players that take us wherever we go. We could, if Jol's ideologies go to plan, attain a top six place but I don't think any success will ever become consistent.

We're getting in to the final stretch of the season now, are Fulham looking like their still up for it or do a few players look like they have their minds on holiday already?

Kristian: We've always been a side, for some reason, that play better at this time of year than at any other. Our away form, generally dismal and depressing, picks up in the latter stages of the season and the lack of pressure, after confirming safety, seems to have a revitalising effect on the Fulham players. That said, Jol openly admitted last week that he's struggling to provide inspiration in his team talks because there's so little to play for this season. I think the lack of urgency will bring the best, and unfortunately the worst (we saw this at Everton on Saturday) out of us.

Form's been patchy recently, do you see a particular weakness in the Sunderland side which you think gives Fulham the upper hand?

Kristian: I think you've certainly lost that new-manager-momentum that you had but I don't think the weakness and lack of form goes any deeper than that. If I had to pick holes in your team it would only be in the strike force, which isn't as potent as it could be, but O'Neill will undoubtedly address that. The only genuine advantage I see us having in this game is home advantage.

On the flip side, is there a particular area of the Fulham side you feel could be exposed by any of our players, and who from our side gives you a worry (if any?)

Kristian: We're so inconsistent that it's tough to pinpoint where - and in some cases when - we can be exploited. Our defence is strong and yet it can concede four in one go out of nowhere, but I would argue this is more through mentality than any lack of talent. Maybe, if Phillipe Senderos starts ahead of Aaron Hughes, who have someone to target that is perhaps not in fine form, but otherwise, I see our back line standing firm. If there's no Murphy you may well dominate the midfield, but then again, if Dembele starts in the middle and has one of his better days, you may not even see the ball. One moment we can be all over the place and the next we can be beautifully refined and classy. You'll just have to hope you find us on a messy day.

Lastly, what's your prediction for the game, and can you predict the score?

Kristian: I think we'll win, more through the fact we're at home than anything else. Jol has made it clear that finishing seventh is a realistic target and I think the boys will react and put in a good shift. 2-0 sounds about right to me.

http://www.rokerreport.com/2012/5/4/2989142/fulham-fan-opinion-sunderland-premier-league-2012?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sunderland preview
Team news ahead of Sunday afternoon's Premier League clash between Fulham and Sunderland at Craven Cottage (kick-off 2pm)

Sunderland defender John O'Shea and striker Nicklas Bendtner are fighting to be fit.

Both men picked up foot injuries in training this week, but manager Martin O'Neill is hopeful they will make the game at Craven Cottage.

Midfielder Craig Gardner is available after serving a one-match ban and defender Titus Bramble (Achilles) is back in training but short of fitness, but full-back Kieran Richardson and midfielder Sebastian Larsson (both hernia surgery) are out for the remainder of the season.

Sunderland (from): Mignolet, Gordon, Bardsley, Bridge, Turner, O'Shea, Kilgallon, Kyrgiakos, Lynch, McClean, Vaughan, Cattermole, Gardner, Meyler, Colback, Sessegnon, Bendtner, Ji, Campbell.

http://www.football365.com/match/3498728/preview?

WhiteJC

Semi Final Preview

Fulham's U18 side contest their most important game of the season so far on Saturday when they welcome Leicester City to Motspur Park (KO 2pm) in the Premier Academy League Semi-Final.

The one-legged Play-Off must be settled on the day and it promises to be an intriguing contest between two in-form teams. Like Fulham, Leicester City U18s put together a late surge to storm to the top of their group, winning Academy Group B with victory in their final game.

The Foxes did not look as though they would pose a title challenge a couple of months ago, but after collecting 23 points from their last nine matches they certainly deserve to provide the opposition to Kit Symons' Team tomorrow.

And having played them already this season, the U18s Manager anticipates a tricky tie at Motspur Park.

"Interestingly it was Leicester in the final game of last season that we had to beat to win our league," Kit recalled. "We were 3-0 down at half-time and then turned it around to win 5-3.

"We played them a couple of weeks ago up there and were fairly soundly beaten 3-0. We had chances that we didn't take and we defended poorly around our goal, but they are a good outfit and we know we'll have to be at our best to win.

"They've got a good setup there and they're a strong and very organised side who play some decent football as well. I'm expecting us to play a lot better than we did in our last game up there but we know first-hand that they're a very good side."

Supporters are welcome to attend tomorrow's match at Motspur Park.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/SemiFinalPreview.aspx?#ixzz1tuov8rVJ

WhiteJC

O'Neill on Fulham trip
'Momentum at the end of the season doesn't necessarily account for the next year, but it's better to head off having won the last couple of games than having lost them.'

Martin O'Neill has called on his side to build some late-season momentum this weekend.

Sunderland have drawn five of their last six games, chalking up their last league win in late March.

The Black Cats have dropped to 11th but are just a point away from a top-ten finish - and O'Neill says it's still all to play for as his side travel to Fulham.

"From a personal viewpoint I want to finish as high as possible; the games still mean a lot," he said.

"Maybe 25 years ago this game would be considered an end-of-season event, but having so much money at stake for each position attaches a great deal of importance to the games.

"We should talk about pride, too, and we want to finish on a high note.

"Momentum at the end of the season doesn't necessarily account for the next year, but it's better to head off having won the last couple of games than having lost them."

Meanwhile O'Neill is looking forward to stepping at a Craven Cottage ground he rates amongst his favourites.

And with a clash with Manchester United also still to come, he says the final pair of games provide plenty to look forward to.

"Craven Cottage is great ground with its own history - it's absolutely fantastic," O'Neill explained.

"I really enjoyed travelling there as a player and I've enjoyed it as a manager. I don't think Sunday will make me feel any different.

"Who wouldn't look forward to playing Manchester United, too? We have two excellent games to finish the season, and that in itself should be enough motivation for the players."

Sunderland have scored just once in seven games against Fulham, who are showing a burst of fine late-season form.
The Cottagers have won four of their last six games and look set for a top-half finish.

Back-to-back trips to Merseyside have thrown up contrasting results - a 4-0 defeat at Everton last weekend was followed by a 1-0 victory at Liverpool in midweek.

And O'Neill is expecting a difficult examination at Craven Cottage, where Fulham have banked 32 of their 49 points this season.

"Fulham's form at home has been fantastic, as it has been for a number of years," he said.

"They seem to raise themselves another couple of years when playing at Craven Cottage, and that will be the order of the day again.

"They have a number of players who have done brilliantly, such as Clint Dempsey who is having a terrific season.

"One or two of the other players I know, such as Aaron Hughes.

"I am hoping it will be a decent game and that we will go there and be as competitive as we possibly can be."

http://www.safc.com/news/20120504/oneill-on-fulham-trip_2256213_2759649?