News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Does any English member of the Fulham squad...

Started by valdeingruo, May 04, 2012, 09:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valdeingruo

Have a better chance of making the Euro squad since Roy knows how they play and are familiar with his tactics. I would put money on Stockdale going now.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

The King

I wouldn't be so sure on Stockdale. He hasn't played for nearly six months while the likes of Green and Carson who'd battle for the number 3 spot have been playing. I reckon Roy'll pick Hart, Foster and Green.

Mr_Moon

Why would Stockdale get it? Far better keepers than him.

Bassey the warrior

Stockdale's chances are marginally better but I think Foster may come out of retirement.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: The King on May 04, 2012, 09:12:57 PM
I wouldn't be so sure on Stockdale. He hasn't played for nearly six months while the likes of Green and Carson who'd battle for the number 3 spot have been playing. I reckon Roy'll pick Hart, Foster and Green.
Foster's retired from national duty.

HatterDon

Quote from: Mr_Moon on May 04, 2012, 09:18:14 PM

Correction. there's ONE English keeper better than him. He won't go because he's been wasted for half a season. No matches for Fulham; no loan out. He'll miss EURO 2012 for Jol's reasons that escape me, and I think we'll lose Stockdale as a result.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr Fulham

Are there any english players left at Fulham? 086.gif

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: HatterDon on May 04, 2012, 10:57:47 PM
Quote from: Mr_Moon on May 04, 2012, 09:18:14 PM

Correction. there's ONE English keeper better than him. He won't go because he's been wasted for half a season. No matches for Fulham; no loan out. He'll miss EURO 2012 for Jol's reasons that escape me, and I think we'll lose Stockdale as a result.
That glass is nearly empty eh.

ImperialWhite

nickmuir

I would say Stockdale as number 2 and J Hart as the main GK

Mr Fulham

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 04, 2012, 11:49:08 PM
Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 04, 2012, 11:35:45 PM

000en.gif = overrated

Too simple, IMHO. To be perfectly honest, a quota of almost 90% non-english players in the squad is ok for me, but I'd love to have at least the odd Englishman in our team. We are an english side, after all.

valdeingruo

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 05, 2012, 01:41:07 AM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 04, 2012, 11:49:08 PM
Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 04, 2012, 11:35:45 PM

000en.gif = overrated

Too simple, IMHO. To be perfectly honest, a quota of almost 90% non-english players in the squad is ok for me, but I'd love to have at least the odd Englishman in our team. We are an english side, after all.

First team and Reserve Englishmen

4. Steve Sidwell
12. David Stockdale
13. Danny Murphy
28. Matthew Briggs
37.Courteny Harris
39. Stephen Authorworrey
40. Alex Smith
41. Marcus Bettinelli
43. Josh Pritchard
Dan Burn
Lyle Della-Verde
Cauley Woodrow
Alex Brister

I havent counted AJ. Who from that list do you see stepping up to the first team. Dan Burn for one, possibly Della Verde.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Stockdale is the only realistic option from Fulham to go to the Euros. He's not going to take Steve Sidwell, Danny Murphy or Matthew Briggs is he?

Let's be honest, Joe Hart is our number one and rightly so, the two other goalkeepers will probably be out of John Ruddy, David Stockdale and Robert Green. The others have retired because they don't see the point on waiting on the bench.

As for us only having a few English players, that's because they are so much more expensive. Jordan Henderson for £18m? Seriously? He wasn't worth £10m at Sunderland, he definitely wasn't amazing. Peter Crouch at 30 years old for £10m to Stoke, Wilfried Zaha is being rated at £10m+ despite only ever playing Championship football. Teams like us have been priced out of buying English players although they have the best chance for playing for our teams. When Chris Smalling plays like 6 games and is worth £10m, there are problems and it is a problem for modern day football.

ImperialWhite

Someone born in the area (or London, at least) is fine, but I don't see how a Geordie represents Fulham better than a Belgian does. It's probably quicker to get from Lille to Fulham than Newcastle to Fulham!

valdeingruo

With todays global game of football you want the very best pulling on the shirt. While it would be nice to see a local Fulham lad make the team it will be harder at this stage. Though with todays advances in coaching we might see it, who knows.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 05, 2012, 03:53:19 PM

Someone born in the area (or London, at least) is fine, but I don't see how a Geordie represents Fulham better than a Belgian does. It's probably quicker to get from Lille to Fulham than Newcastle to Fulham!

I think Sir Bobby Robson or Graham Leggat represented us quite well during their time at Fulham. And they were Brits.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 05, 2012, 10:36:14 PM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 05, 2012, 03:53:19 PM

I think Sir Bobby Robson or Graham Leggat represented us quite well during their time at Fulham. And they were Brits.

They did, of course. Any player with his heart in the club can do that.

But I don't think non-London Brits represent the 'community' of Fulham any more than any other player can.

Think we're getting into a discussion about semantics now!  093.gif