watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Top 20 Biggst Football Derbies In Europe

Started by White Noise, May 05, 2012, 08:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

I like the  concept and and pleased we make 16th although it is only based on 2010/11 average attendance. Essentially the Dog tracks capacity has carried our fixture in by having a large attendance.

Shame really as a derby is based on passion and local rivalry. The only Chelsea fan showing that at our CC fixture was that annoying PA.

I'm also surprised the two Sheffield sides failed to make the cut as their stadiums are both quite large.

Rupert

Hmm, so where are the Chelski v Spuds or Chelski v Arsenal figures? He seems to take "derby" as the closest two teams only, which may work in his "regional German derby" definition, but not in our case. I think we would consider QPha to be one of our two big local derby games, and with their massive attendences (200,000+ per game, I believe) we would surely break into the top ten very easily.
Chelski, on the other hand, probably regard Spuds as more of a local rival than us (though hopefully that is starting to change). Spuds probably still get more out of denting Wengner's title aspirations than Chelski's, though again this may be changing.

Far from being comprehensive, by using different criteria to decide on what counts as a derby, I think the author has merely made an interesting list of well attended matches. A good read, something to bat back and forth in a pub debate, but not to be taken seriously.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Burt

This would be more interesting to look at from the point of view of fierceness of the local rivalry involved, rather than crowd size or proximity. Chelsea don't give a monkeys about us, so that fixture wouldn't even figure. Blackburn v. Burnley has a lot more edge to it, for example.

finnster01

Quote from: Rupert on May 05, 2012, 09:57:52 AM
Hmm, so where are the Chelski v Spuds or Chelski v Arsenal figures? He seems to take "derby" as the closest two teams only, which may work in his "regional German derby" definition, but not in our case. I think we would consider QPha to be one of our two big local derby games, and with their massive attendences (200,000+ per game, I believe) we would surely break into the top ten very easily.
Chelski, on the other hand, probably regard Spuds as more of a local rival than us (though hopefully that is starting to change). Spuds probably still get more out of denting Wengner's title aspirations than Chelski's, though again this may be changing.

Far from being comprehensive, by using different criteria to decide on what counts as a derby, I think the author has merely made an interesting list of well attended matches. A good read, something to bat back and forth in a pub debate, but not to be taken seriously.

Agree 100% with Mr Rupert. An interesting comparison of bums in seats between closely geographically located football teams. No more, no less.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

finnster01

Quote from: Burt on May 05, 2012, 10:48:22 AM
This would be more interesting to look at from the point of view of fierceness of the local rivalry involved, rather than crowd size or proximity. Chelsea don't give a monkeys about us, so that fixture wouldn't even figure. Blackburn v. Burnley has a lot more edge to it, for example.

Agree completely again Mr Burt, but how do we measure "fierceness" or can we even? Is it number of fights and arrests? or Number of yellow and red cards on the pitch? or a combo or something else?

I don't have a good answer but all I know is that whilst I lived in Glasgow in the mid-eighties, I would never even dream to harmlessly endeavor into the City wearing anything blue or green on Old Firm day. Just walking into the wrong pub with an ordinary green/blue shirt or jumper, it would most likely kick off (mind you, English accent doesn't help at all either). In fact, lots of city pubs just stayed shut because they didn't want to deal with all the hassle.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

cmg

Quote from: Rupert on May 05, 2012, 09:57:52 AM
Hmm, so where are the Chelski v Spuds or Chelski v Arsenal figures?

Seems to be explained by: "-     No team has been included twice. This means that Arsenal vs. Spurs is classed as the biggest London derby, with Chelsea vs. Fulham second. It should be stressed that there is a lot of overlap when it comes to the London derbies. These four teams have been chosen purely because they have the highest average attendances, not (at least in the case of the West London derby) because they have the fiercest rivalry."

I agree that this is interesting only on a statitical basis and that many other (unmeasurable) factors are involved.
It does seem to me, though, that a Derby that doesn't sell out is a rather diminished one. I was amazed to see that Roma/Lazio fail to half fill the Stadio Olimpico (said to be 72,000 capacity since reconstruction, and has certainly had 65,000+). The Milan/Inter figures also suggest that they don't sell-out San Siro; surely that can't be the case?