watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Oh horror

Started by finnster01, May 07, 2012, 09:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Just got an invite to pre-purchase a ticket for the first football match ever at the new Yankee Stadium in July.

First of all, I have no idea how they are going to sort the pitch out, but to make matters worse it is between Chelsea and PSG on July 22 :035:

How about combining that with a Fulham - Chelsea match in NY as well please?  scarf
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

No Clint dempsey equals very little interest in Fulham in the US of A.

jarv

Absolutely right Freddy. Not so many Fulham games on tv next season!

west kowloon white

But lots of shots of the Anfield bench.

HatterDon

Guys, the ONLY Fulham match that was put on TV over here based on fan support was our FA Cup match with Everton -- and that was primarily because of Landon Donovan's presence.

Fewer American "soccer fans" know who Clint Dempsey is than those who can recognize Wayne Rooney. The idea that an American player can create interest on an American televisiion network is laughable. We've got several Americans playing basketball in Europe and Asia and there has NEVER been a single game of there's televised [to my knowledge]. Should he go to Liverpool or Arsenal -- best bets really -- it won't improve either side's cachet in the US one iota.

As for a dearth of Fulham in the future, I wouldn't worry about that. Live or tape delayed pretty much all of the matches are shown over here EVERY WEEKEND on either Fox Soccer, Fox Soccer Plus, or ESPN2, and should any actually miss, either Foxsoccer.com or ESPN3.com will show them. I could have watched 35 WOLVES matches this season, FFS.

Clint is a brilliant player, but to the American sporting public at large, he is either unknown or an oddity. He'd be more likely to be recognized on the street in Tokyo or Mumbai than he would in Chicago.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

valdeingruo

Quote from: HatterDon on May 08, 2012, 02:58:35 PM
Guys, the ONLY Fulham match that was put on TV over here based on fan support was our FA Cup match with Everton -- and that was primarily because of Landon Donovan's presence.

Fewer American "soccer fans" know who Clint Dempsey is than those who can recognize Wayne Rooney. The idea that an American player can create interest on an American televisiion network is laughable. We've got several Americans playing basketball in Europe and Asia and there has NEVER been a single game of there's televised [to my knowledge]. Should he go to Liverpool or Arsenal -- best bets really -- it won't improve either side's cachet in the US one iota.

As for a dearth of Fulham in the future, I wouldn't worry about that. Live or tape delayed pretty much all of the matches are shown over here EVERY WEEKEND on either Fox Soccer, Fox Soccer Plus, or ESPN2, and should any actually miss, either Foxsoccer.com or ESPN3.com will show them. I could have watched 35 WOLVES matches this season, FFS.

Clint is a brilliant player, but to the American sporting public at large, he is either unknown or an oddity. He'd be more likely to be recognized on the street in Tokyo or Mumbai than he would in Chicago.

Hatter's analysis is right. Those who do know the name Dempsey usually say that Donovan is the better player regardless, sadly.

However you should go to the match with a giant banner along the line of "Theres only one team in Fulham" which you could easily get in and would make one hell of a picture, i dont think they would expect it either.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Burt

Just out of interest, has a footy match ever been played on a baseball pitch??

valdeingruo

Quote from: Burt on May 08, 2012, 09:39:58 PM

Im pretty sure i would have to check my sources, but at a later time, in and out of the shop.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

HatterDon

Quote from: Burt on May 08, 2012, 09:39:58 PM

yes, on many occasions. They just have to level the pitcher's mound.

And, in the late 1950s, the Dodgers [who had just moved from Brooklyn to LA] played their baseball in a football stadium.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Jimbobob

They have already played at least two or maybe three college football bowl games at New Yankee Stadium so the field issue has for the most part been sorted out but for a football pitch it is going to be very tight. It is has been very tight for the bowl games. Really a stupid place to play a match.
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

finnster01

Quote from: Jimbobob on May 09, 2012, 05:37:31 AM
They have already played at least two or maybe three college football bowl games at New Yankee Stadium so the field issue has for the most part been sorted out but for a football pitch it is going to be very tight. It is has been very tight for the bowl games. Really a stupid place to play a match.

I'd second that. The new stadium is nice for the punter but not so sure it would be all that for the players. Also the seating configuration becomes quite a bit of a puzzle (cheap baseball seats becomes very good seats, and the reverse will be true also)Anyway, I guess bums in seats is what counts on this one and that is a potential 55K game. Loads of CSKA Chelski fans here, never ever seen anyone in a PSG shirt though. Maybe if they buy Dempsey the story will be a bit different but doubt it. Not really many French here compared to the Irish, Italians, Latins, English, and Geeeeeeeeermans.

Would be nice to have a Fulham - Chelsea match here though, and we are used to tight pitches on top. Isn't Fulham touring the US or did that get swapped for Dingding China?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Senior Supporter

Quote from: Jimbobob on May 09, 2012, 05:37:31 AM

I guess it is perfect if you play a diamond formation though.   :dft012: