more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (09/05/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 09, 2012, 04:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Who and how, against Fulham?

In recent months, every game is a must win, but as we reach the final game of the season, it will be all or nothing against Fulham.

Spurs will of course be disappointed not to have 3rd place in their own hands, and for all the moans and groans from everyone, they really should have rolled over a very average Villa on Sunday and taken advantage of Arsenal`s dropping two points against Norwich. Will they slip up again at WBA in what will be Roy Hodgson`s final game in charge, but effectively they are playing for pride and perhaps the respectability of securing a top ten finish, which will be seen as a positive for the club.

Everton will see a season finishing above Liverpool as a major plus and they will achieve it if they beat Newcastle and better Liverpool`s result at Swansea. Of course Everton getting anything against Newcastle should so Spurs and Arsenal a favour and though in truth their form remains a little too inconsistent, they are not a side you want to face if you need a win and are probably feeling the nerves.

The reality for Spurs is that they have to win and worry about the others later. They have to expect Arsenal and Newcastle to get 3 points, but will know that if they match that they will secure at least 4th place and CL football, unless Chelsea beat Bayern Munich on the 19th. The question is, how and who would you pick to do a job on Fulham?

Of course the biggest issue is who does Harry play at left back and based on that we perhaps then have to consider the shape of the side. Drop Gareth Bale into s defensive role and you will probably see the team revert to a 4-3-3, with Parker playing alongside of Sandro and Modric in the middle, but will that again lose the team width or can we see Walker and Bale suddenly having total freedom to bomb up and down, safe in the knowledge of having two combative midfielders to cover their backsides?

Could we see Harry take a chance on playing a natural central player there, with perhaps William Gallas playing there or even Jake Livermore moving to an unaccustomed position? If that were the case, would we actually be better to play a natural full back such as Adam Smith, who may prefer the right, but has played at LB often and might also retain a solidity in the centre of defence in keeping what is currently our best CD pairing of Kaboul and Gallas.

Harry could always stick with the same 4-4-1-1 formation that he has played for the last three games and simply drop Bale back and ask Modric to play wide, or even go 4-4-2 and use VdV and Lennon wide and Adebayor and Defoe/Saha in a twin attack, but perhaps the only think we do know is that he will be expected to pick a side to win and ideally get a goal or two early to settle what is sure to be a nervous side, with everything to play for against a team that is in decent form, who know they cannot drop below their current 9th place, but if results go their way, they could finish in a very creditable 7th place, above Liverpool and Everton.

Fulham will feel pretty confident of getting something from this game. with five wins in the last seven games, and Martin Jol certainly wanting to prove a point, and gain three, whatever he might say, it will certainly a a tough game to have to secure a win. I suppose I would take this fixture over a trip to Goodison Park, but only just...

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7512112#ixzz1uNnoxv00

WhiteJC

Craven Cottage to host Academy League final

Rovers' under 18s may be in FA Youth Cup final action this evening, but they also have the Academy League national final to look forward to this Saturday.

Terry McPhillips' side have two games left this season and both are finals, tonight's match against Chelsea at Ewood Park, following by the league final against Fulham at Craven Cottage on Saturday at 2pm.

Following their successful league campaign in which the under 18s won their group, they progressed to the final courtesy of Saturday's 2-0 win over Newcastle United in the play-offs. Whilst this Saturday's opponents reached the final courtesy of a 2-1 win over Leicester City.

Supporters who wish to go to the match can pay on the gate, prices are £3 for Adults and £1 Concessions.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/AcademyNews/0,,10303~2764634,00.html?

WhiteJC

Reserves squad for Fulham clash

ALBION have named a 16-man squad for this afternoon's behind-closed-doors Barclays Premier Reserve League clash with Fulham at the club's training ground (ko 2pm).

Keeper Marton Fulop and central-defender Craig Dawson (pictured) are included in David Oldfield's party, with Paul Downing, Sam Mantom, Scott Allan and Lateef Elford-Alliyu possible starters after returning from loan spells.

Fourth-placed Albion need to beat the Cottagers in their final game of the season to claim a third-place finish in the Southern Division.

The Baggies are unable to catch second-place Arsenal or champions Villa, but are guaranteed fourth spot regardless of this afternoon's result.

ALBION (from): Allan, Atkinson, Berahino, Brown, D Daniels, Dawson, Downing, Elford-Alliyu, Fulop, Hurst, Lewis, Mantom, Nabi, O'Sullivan, Roofe, Sawyers.

http://www.wba.co.uk/page/News/0,,10366~2764539,00.html?

WhiteJC

Heerenveen pair Narsingh and Assaidi close to Fulham move, says agent
Martin Jol is reportedly eager to tie up a deal for the talented Eredevisie duo ahead of next season's Premier League campaign, amid doubts over Clint Dempsey's future

Herenveen pair Luciano Narsingh and Oussama Assaidi are close to sealing moves to Fulham, according to the players' representative.

he two wingers travelled to London on Monday to take a tour of the Premier League side's stadium and training facilities.

Mino Raiola, the players' agent, has admitted that no fee has yet been agreed between the two clubs, but contract negotiations are underway.
"We have given Mino Raiola and the players the space to talk," Heerenveen technical director Johan Hansma told De Telegraaf.

"Narsingh and Assaidi had to have a good feeling with a club. It doesn't make any sense if we reach an agreement with a club and the players won't want to go there. To succeed in a transfer there are three sides needed."

Fulham are bracing themselves for bids for their prized asset Clint Dempsey, and manager Martin Jol has identified the duo as potential replacements if the USA international leaves.

Assaidi and Narsingh both have just one year left on their contracts.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/09/3090704/heerenveen-pair-narsingh-and-assaidi-close-to-fulham-move?

WhiteJC

Reserves Face WBA

Fulham's Development Squad play their final match of the 2011/12 season on Wednesday afternoon when they travel to the Midlands to face West Bromwich Albion (KO 2pm).

Should Ray Lewington's charges conclude their excellent end-of-season form with a seventh match unbeaten, they will secure second place in the Barclays Premier Reserve League South.

Fulham's Reserve side have echoed the form of the First Team when it comes to recent results, having picked up 14 points of a possible 18 from their last six matches - the most recent of which was last week's impressive 3-2 victory over Southern Champions Aston Villa.

Our hosts this afternoon have their own agenda though as victory will see the Baggies leapfrog Fulham into third place in the league.

West Brom have already announced their squad for the game and it includes England under-21 defender Craig Dawson and Hungarian international goalkeeper Marton Fulop, both of whom have enjoyed run outs for the first team this campaign.

Fulham's Starting XI:

Neil Etheridge, Alex Brister, Courtney Harris, Josh Pritchard, Dan Burn, Mahrez Bettache, Ryan Williams, Alex Smith, Marcello Trotta, Tom Donegan, Charles Banya

Subs: Marcus Bettinelli, Buomesca Tue Na Bangna, Rob Maloney, Lasse Vigen Christensen

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/ReservesFaceBaggies.aspx?#ixzz1uNp31awt

WhiteJC

Pog tells Russia to appoint Jol

Pavel Pogrebnyak says Russian football officials should consider Fulham boss Martin Jol when they appoint a new coach after Euro 2012.
Dick Advocaat will quit as Russia coach and has agreed to join PSV Eindhoven after the tournament this summer, leaving a vacancy that Pogrebnyak could be ideal for his club manager Jol.

The 28-year-old ex-VFB Stuttgart striker has blossomed under Jol since he arrived at Fulham in January and believes the appointment of another Dutchman could similarly revive Russia's fortunes at international level.

He said: "I agree with [Andriy] Arshavin, who is backing a foreign coach. For example Spalletti, who won the last two Russian championships with Zenit. Basically, I'm not against Spalletti taking over the [national] team, but I want to see our team coach Martin Jol - my coach at Fulham.

"In principle, I understand why Advocaat is going. He wanted to sign a new contract before the European Championships, and the RFU, in turn, wanted to wait until after the tournament."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/Fulham/Pog-tells-Russia-to-appoint-Jol-1427053.html?#.T6qAsO2_wds

WhiteJC

Jol eyes double Dutch swoop

Fulham showed Heerenveen duo Luciano Narsingh and Oussama Assaidi their facilities this week ahead of a planned summer double deal.

The two wingers travelled to London on Monday to take a tour of Craven Cottage and the club's Surrey training ground.

Fulham manager Martin Jol has identified the duo as potential replacements if USA international Clint Dempsey leaves in the summer.

The Cottagers have yet to agree terms with Heerenveen, but the Eredivisie club have given their permission for talks to get underway with the agent involved.

"We have given agent Mino Raiola and the players the space to talk," Heerenveen technical director Johan Hansma told De Telegraaf.

"Narsingh and Assaidi had to have a good feeling with a club. It doesn't make any sense if we reach an agreement with a club and the players won't want to go there. To succeed in a transfer there are three sides needed."

Assaidi, 23, and Narsingh, 21, both have just one year left on their contracts.

Narsingh has also caught the attention of PSV and Ajax, with Heerenveen having rejected a first offer from the Amsterdam giants.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2012/05/09/Jol-eyes-double-Dutch-swoop/gnid-141611/?

WhiteJC

Premier League duo chasing Basel starlet

After impressing in what was a breakout season for the player, Basel playmaker, Fabian Frei, appears to be courting interest from various European parties, two of which are Premier League outfits Liverpool and Fulham.

Frei – no relation to Swiss legend Alexander – has been a part of the Basel setup since 2004 when he entered as a youth prospect but it was only in 2011 that the midfielder managed to stake his claim on a regular first team spot.

The 23 year-old was farmed out on a two-year loan deal at St.Gallen where he managed to score 13 goals in 64 appearances, leading his parent club to keep him around upon his return.

Since then, Frei has emerged as a frequent starter in the Basel line-up, making forty appearances for the Swiss club this campaign, including eight starts in the side's Champions League tournament.

The attacking midfielder has scored nine goals this season and made six assists.

Xherdan Shaqiri has already sealed a summer move to Bayern Munich and Granit Xhaka is also looking likely to leave Basel, so with just a year left on his contract with the club, Frei may be tempted into jumping ship, too.

Should the 23 year-old leave this summer, Frei – who has made three appearances for the Switzerland national team – would be expected to command an asking price of around £6.5m.

With Maxi Rodriguez, Joe Cole and Dirk Kuyt all looking likely candidates for the Anfield exit, attacking reinforcements will surely be needed at Liverpool while Fulham are also set to lose some of their stars.

Martin Jol has already conceded that Clint Dempsey may leave the club in July should the right offer come in and Moussa Dembelé is also interesting various European sides.

http://www.squeakybumtime.com/premiership/6008/fulham-liverpool-fabian-frei-playmaker/

WhiteJC

Hodgson/England/Euro 2012

The big news, which I've heretofore ignored as it made my head spin, is Roy Hodgson's appointment as England manager. Never mind the Redknapp or speech impediment or press idiocy angles, what does this actually mean for England at Euro 2012?

I'm sure I've mentioned before how Roy's early career directly influenced Sven-Göran Eriksson so all things being equal I'd expect something similar here. Sven essentially used Roy methods to become what he was, so let's have a look at how he did at tournaments:

2002 – quite well, drawing with Sweden, beating the Argies, drawing with Nigeria, beating Denmark easily then losing unfortunately to Brazil.

At Euro 2004 England threw away a good situation against France, then beat Switzerland and Croatia. They lost on pens to Portugal.

At the 2006 World Cup England withdrew into themselves, beating Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago, drawing with Sweden then beating Ecuador in the knockouts. Then Portugal happened again.

In short, we beat the sorts of teams we'd expect to beat, managed the occasional good result (Argentina and Denmark in 2002, Croatia in 2004), but the odd disappointment (we were awful in 2006 and messed up 2004 despite what might have been England's best opportunity to really kick on).

Hodgson will know what he wants to do and will presumably be able to implement this reasonably effectively. I know we talk about him needing time to get his methods across but he's been a successful international manager before and can be again. One issue might be the Liverpool factor, in which star players found his approach slightly beneath them, but at this point what are they going to do? It's one thing sulking in club football; international football is different, especially at tournament level. Hodgson can be firm when he needs to be and I imagine he'll more or less get what he wants.

And you can see how that might be enough. The group is not soft but not hard, and I imagine we might be able to negotiate France, Sweden and Ukraine (although we might not! The margins are so fine), and then we get to the interesting part.

As Fulham manager Hodgson steered the club past better teams to reach the Europa League final. Sure there was luck along the way, but the success was built on the shape and determination that he'll surely be aiming for here. So if we do qualify in second and face Spain in the knockouts, well let's face it, Spain wouldn't be that happy to be facing a well drilled 4-4-2 would they? It's exactly the sort of setup that seems to be able to undo Spain/Barca type approaches.  After that, anything's possible.

So while I am frightened for Roy and will try to avoid newspapers during the tournament, I do think he can be successful. What do you reckon?

And if you are interested in betting on the tournament, England are around 10/1, which seems about right to me. I'll see if I can find a spare fiver...

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/hodgsonenglandeuro-2012/