watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

McLeish Masterstroke To Win Over Fans & Keep His Job

Started by White Noise, May 08, 2012, 11:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/08/alex-mcleish-karl-henry-aston-villa?CMP=twt_gu

Alex McLeish looks to Karl Henry to strengthen Aston Villa midfield

• The former Wolves captain has endured a frustrating season

• Transfer could be subject to review of Villa manager's position

Stuart James

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 8 May 2012 22.01 BST

Karl Henry, left, has two years left on his contract at Wolves but is wanted by Aston Villa to add strength to their midfield. Photograph: Tim Hales/AP

Alex McLeish has identified Wolverhampton Wanderers' Karl Henry as a transfer target as part of plans to add some much needed experience to Aston Villa's callow midfield this summer. Henry, 29, has two years remaining on his contract at Molineux but has endured a frustrating season that started with him losing the captaincy to Roger Johnson and ended with relegation to the Championship.

Whether Villa's interest in Henry turns into something more concrete is likely to depend on the managerial situation at the club, with McLeish's position set to come under review after the final game of the season, at Norwich on Sunday. McLeish has spoken of the need to augment a young squad with the addition of some senior players in the summer, and said after the 1-1 draw against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday that he expects to be given the chance to spend a second season in charge.

Meanwhile, Stoke City are considering making a move for Martin Olsson, the Blackburn Rovers left-back who is set to be one of a number of players on the way out of Ewood Park in the wake of relegation. Tony Pulis, the Stoke manager, is keen to recruit another left-back, with Danny Higginbotham and Danny Collins both expected to leave the Midlands club this summer, and has earmarked the Sweden international Olsson as a possible signing.

Mr Fulham

agent_ITK says McLeish will get the sack at the end of the season with Paul Lambert taking over.

ScalleysDad

Blimey I had Martinez down for that one when Wigan were nailed on to go down. When they went on their little run of wins I still had him down to move but after the Blackburn game he is way above Villa. Paul Lambert is ambitious enough, he has said so, but will he leave The Project to go into the mire.
Have to say that when we chanted "You don't know what you're doing" at Villa Park it was one of the best sponatneously funny moments in a seroes of otherwise rubbish days out and even the oiks behind the goal applauded which made a change to what they were doing the rest of the game. I wanted to start a chant about the proper construction of a sentence but could'nt get anything to rhyme with past participle.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 08, 2012, 11:23:11 PM
agent_ITK says McLeish will get the sack at the end of the season with Paul Lambert taking over.

Although I dont trust anything that tweeter says, Lambert would be an excellent choice as manager. Not only can he work on a budget, he can work well on a budget.

I just hope that Villa continue their disasterous recruitment policy - Houllier, McLeish....Sanchez?

Jack Fulham