watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Murphy the bully...

Started by Gozorich, May 09, 2012, 08:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gozorich

Understandably a lot of people on here are concerned about how and with whom are we going to replace Danny Murphy. I am not as concerned about losing his physical presence as he must surely be coming to the end of his career soon.

Don't get me wrong I still think he has a lot to offer but with the likes of Diarra we have reasonable cover. My concern is his psychological contribution. When he has been missing this season usually the team still played technically well but and it's a big but, we don't seem to have the same urgency. I have watched him particularly closely recently and he is constantly cajoling, moaning and groaning at anyone in earshot. He has the players respect and as captain they have to accept his great experience.

My worry is who will take over that moaning, bullying role that is needed in our team of artistic flair players. Hangeland is a terrific player who commands respect but doesn't seem to say too much. In fact I can't think of any player who bollocks anyone else other than Schwarzer and a goalie is not really where we want the leader.   

I don't think we have anyone else in the squad like Murphy in that role so who should we be looking for? He doesn't have to be captain.

leonffc

A) we do want the GK barking out orders and being a leader because he is in charge of that penalty area and to a large extent, the back 4. He can also see everything in front if him so if the midfield needs shaping, can do this too.

B) I agree, Murph has been more vocal than usual. Maybe this is a Jol tactic - one man, one leader. Obviously we want 11 captains but what I mean is, one man barks the orders and that is the captain as his role is usually to carry over the managers instructions (too many cooks and all that).
 If this is the case, I'm not sure who would carry on that role in the absence of Murphy. I can't see Hangeland doing it.
 I don't like the word 'bully' when used in the context of his own team but you are right, I can't really think of another leader like him in our ranks. Riise maybe?

finnster01

No worries on the captain front. Hangeland may look like he says very little, but that is very wrong. He is a big leader and will bollocks who ever he has to, including the dressing room. I have heard he has laid into quite a few people at half-time if he thinks they are slacking. I am not worried about that aspect at all. I am more worried about who actually will take over his (Smurph) role as a player
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

bill taylors apprentice

I agree.
Its something your born with and coming from a liverpool  team that still had some status he has an aura that would be hard to replace.
I remember when mullery came back on loan in the 72' and his presence  lifted us away from relegationin just 6 games.

Gozorich

Quote from: finnster01 on May 09, 2012, 09:26:16 PM
No worries on the captain front. Hangeland may look like he says very little, but that is very wrong. He is a big leader and will bollocks who ever he has to, including the dressing room. I have heard he has laid into quite a few people at half-time if he thinks they are slacking. I am not worried about that aspect at all. I am more worried about who actually will take over his (Smurph) role as a player

I understand that but it is on the pitch that it really matters. You can throw teacups in the dressing room at half time but it isn't much use if you go a goal down in the first minute of the second half.

DukeTyrion

Lee Clarke was one of the best Captains I remember for us, because he never let anyone around him take their foot off the gas.

Holders

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 09, 2012, 09:26:59 PM
I agree.
Its something your born with and coming from a liverpool  team that still had some status he has an aura that would be hard to replace.
I remember when mullery came back on loan in the 72' and his presence  lifted us away from relegationin just 6 games.

Precisely (except I think that was the year we got promotion), as I was reading this I was thinking of Mullery who took over as captain from the mute and ineffective Barry Lloyd. Someone else mentioned Lee Clark, good call as well but I think Mullers and Murph were/are the outstanding examples.

Whoever is in the role has to have real respect - it can't be easy to be told "right, you're captain now, start shouting at your team-mates" and to have come from a club where you've won things and with international experience provides that. Apart from Murph I think Schwarzer is the closest we have.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

west kowloon white

Murphy has yet to punch a team mate during a match-so Mullers gets the points decision.

cottage cheese

when i see murphy shouting at the players, you can see the passion and desire to not let slip or keep going. What i appreciate the most is when he actually is at fault, he puts his hand up..that is the sign of a leader..knowing to give orders but also knowing to set examples when making mistakes!

DukeTyrion

Quote from: Holders on May 10, 2012, 07:29:31 AM
Apart from Murph I think Schwarzer is the closest we have.

For me Schwarzer is too far away from the action. For me the ideal captain is either a central defender, or a central midfielder who can see the action around them. How is a goalkeeper supposed to effectively discuss things with a forward?

Diarra could make a good captain perhaps, or (maybe a bit out of left field here) what about Dempsey?

Holders

Duke - I wasn't suggesting that we make the 'keeper captain (though some teams do, of course) just making the point that, after Murph, he's the most "commanding" player we have and has the character and experience most suited to the job.

Mr Fulham

IMHO, Murphy's role as a leader is far more important than his role as a player. The likes of Dembele (and Diarra) have come out of age and have replaced Murphy quite well.

It's his role as a leader, as a captain and a role model, which makes him well worth another year. Even if he's standing in the dugout as part of Jol's staff. It's important that he's still around next season.

Jack Fulham

I think Baird and Hangeland would make good captains. Certainly better than inspirational appointments such as robinho at man city, taarabt at qpr and then tevez at man city.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Jack Fulham on May 10, 2012, 05:37:02 PM
I think Baird and Hangeland would make good captains. Certainly better than inspirational appointments such as robinho at man city, taarabt at qpr and then tevez at man city.

Hangeland, yes. But Baird? Yes, as a personality, but he's not even a regular.

Holders

Quote from: west kowloon white on May 10, 2012, 01:12:57 PM
Murphy has yet to punch a team mate during a match-so Mullers gets the points decision.

Kindly remind me who that was - Lacy?

west kowloon white

Quote from: Holders on May 10, 2012, 06:11:24 PM

west kowloon white

Can't remember-hoped someone would remind me-was young(obviously!) at that time-and devestated watching it unfold

dgnffc

Quote from: west kowloon white on May 11, 2012, 05:33:03 AM
Quote from: Holders on May 10, 2012, 06:11:24 PM

I think it was Jimmy Dunne