https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

U18 Final at the cottage

Started by MasterHaynes, May 12, 2012, 12:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterHaynes

Quote from: White Noise on May 12, 2012, 04:49:10 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 12, 2012, 03:42:58 PM
WhiteNoise any chance of finding out the attendance?

Initial reports suggest about 1500 but will try and get something official.
Well done everyone Just got back from the game, the whole of the riverside looked pretty full to me and I would guess that there was well over 3,000 regardless of what the official figures may say. Great game and a cup presented to a Fulham team at the cottage- a little piece of history there.
The programme notes for Connor Roberts say 'A new signing' so another gem pinched from Everton made some great saves. Maybe Moyes started the Dempsey rumours in retaliation. It looked like the First team squad were given the option to come and watch, it was great to see Murphy, Pog,Hangeland and Senderos among others to turn out, I even saw Danny sign some autographs which is encouraging but I did not catch a sight of either Dempsey or Dembele.
Josh Passeley was injured and couldn't play but still collected a medal ,my only concern is his omission from the programme notes as a member of the Squad? I think his contract is up this summer has he been poached already? he would be a real loss if a big four team have pinched him on the cheap
yee-haw! yee-haw! :drums: :drums: :wine: :wine:

finnster01

I hope they stick that Cup next to the huge Inter Toto one...  :005:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

jarv

Must have been some proud parents in that crowd. scarf of 3000 (or whatever it was). If 3000?? more that te first team got in the bad old days.

cebu

Well done the lads!!! Congrats to them and Kit and his staff. Things are looking up.   :yay:

MasterHaynes

Quote from: jarv on May 12, 2012, 07:25:45 PM
Must have been some proud parents in that crowd. scarf of 3000 (or whatever it was). If 3000?? more that te first team got in the bad old days.
Well I'm not sure what the capacity of the Riverside stand is but I'm guessing it must be 5000 at least and it was at good 75% full. If you cast your mind back to the Eufa cup early qualifiers it was the same as that less the Hammy end crowd and we were getting 13-18K for those games

Scrumpy

I went to the game today too, and I'd say it was nearer 1500 crowd than 3000. Still, a pretty good turn out and not far off what the first team used to get in the bad old days! All the seats have been taken out of the 'enclosure' and scaffolding put up to start work on the JH Stand roof.

The team itself looked very strong to me. There were no weak links at all, and we certainly tried to play football the right way. I thought Blackburn were a bit more physical, but certainly played within the rules and our players will need to deal with this, and an other approach to the game.

I thought our full backs both looked very good, Minkwitz and Christensen ran the centre of midfield, the 2 wide men (Ryan Williams and Banya or Bangna (not sure)) were excellent. Woodrow, up front, certainly has a footballing brain and looks like a young Teddy Sheringham. All in all, the future looks very, very bright. I can see 3 or 4 of these guys making it in the Premier League - and the rest can surely earn a living at the game.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Jack Fulham

I went today, was an enjoyable game, we didn't really give Blackburn many chances, I think Roberts made about one save all game. Grimmer looked very calm at the back considering he's usually right back or centre midfield, was impressed with Pritchard as well who I think was the other centre back. Minkwitz was solid, never stopped running the whole game. I thought Christensen disappeared a bit during the game, same with Altman but i'm unsure whether cm is his natural position. Ryan Williams was probably our best player, always looked dangerous going forward. Mesca was very direct but final ball needs work. Woodrow was feeding on scraps most the game but thought he played well. Gameiro looked very dangerous when he came on.

Thunderzolt

Premier Academy Champions: Match Report
by CHRIS GILBERTSON on MAY 13, 2012[EDIT]

For the second year in a row, Fulham hosted the Premeir Academy League Final at Craven Cottage. Last year's group of talented youngsters that lost to Everton included Kerim Frei and Marcello Trotta, now of the First Team, and current skipper Ronnie Minkwitz, amongst others.

Having been unable to make it last year, with my father, I went along to Craven Cottage to watch this year's final. Fulham were up against a strong Blackburn Rovers side, which had topped the likes of Liverpool and both Manchester clubs to win the Academy League Group C.

As fans of the First XI, the chance to go and watch this talented crop of youngsters was too good to pass up. By charging just £3 for entry, there was a good turnout, with somewhere around 1500 people attending the game. Credit to, for Danny Murphy, who had led the entire First Team Squad in requesting their morning training session be concluded in enough time for them to take their seats in the directors box at Craven Cottage to lend their support.

Motspur Park is fast becoming a production line for good young footballers. There have been six academy debuts in the First Team this season (Frei, Trotta, Etheridge, Kacaniklic, Donegan and Dalle Valle) and with Martin Jol's stated desire to lower the average age of the squad, more can be expected next season. So, with our amateur scouting hats on, we sat down to watch what was a very entertaining match.

Fulham lined up playing 4-3-3, or rather, the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 hybrid that has been adopted by the first team in recent weeks, with 3 central midfielders and two wide men, who can both sit back as midfielders, and attack as auxiliary forwards depending on the situation. It is intrinsic in successful clubs, that the youth teams play the same formation and football as the senior team. Whilst not quite the tika-taka football that Barcelona teach at their famous La Masia academy, manager Kit Symons has his team playing attractive fast-paced passing football that does not sit out of place with Martin Jol's overall vision for the club.

Both teams started brightly, with highly touted £500,000 January signing, Ryan Williams, miskicking Fulham's best early chance from twelve yards out. The lively Hugo Fernandez had the best of the early chances for Blackburn, but consistently failed to test Connor Roberts in the Fulham goal. Roberts incidentally was on the bench for Everton in last season's final.

An all-international midfield of German, Ronnie Minkwitz, Dane, Lasse Vigen Christiansen and Israeli, Omri Altman, all looked very comfortable of the ball. Minkwitz, skipper of the team, played the Danny Murphy role at the centre of the three, linking play in an almost metronomic manner. Christiansen, playing in the Mahammadou Diarra role, played short and long passes in an intelligent and equal measure. While it was the exciting talent of Altman, playing the Moussa Dembele role of creative midfielder, who looked the most comfortable with the ball at his feet. Indeed, were it not for a good last ditch block, Altman would have scored in the second half.

Following their relegation to the Championship, Blackburn are likely to be considering several of their Under-18s for senior action sooner rather than later. In striker Curtis Haley and midfielder Raheem Hanley, they have two players to keep an eye out for. It was a mark of the fine job done by Fulham's defence though, that these two and the ever-lively Fernandez were consistently kept at bay.

Another January signing, Jack Grimmer, fresh from first team action with Aberdeen in the Scottish Premier League, marshalled the defensive line with the experience of a wily veteran. His loud Scottish twang was audible in the stands as he constantly barked orders to right back Alex Brister. Josh Pritchard, playing centre back in the absence of injured Josh Passley, displayed some excellent passing range perhaps indicative of his usual positioning as a right back or midfielder. Irish left back Sean Kavanagh, one of the technically superior players on display, came the closest to opening the scoring in the first half, his deflected free kick ricocheting back of the outside of the post.

Kavanagh hits the post
As the first half expired, left-winger, Buomesca Tue Na Banga, or "Mesca" as he is known, flashed a shot inches wide. It was then he, and right-winger Williams, along with centre forward Cauley Woodrow, who set about making the difference in the second half. Woodrow, who's blond hair and intelligent combative style reminds you of a Pavel Pogrebnyak, looks a fine prospect. When watching young players, work ethic, technique and footballing intelligence are all good indicators of future success, and Woodrow has all three. It was no surprise then, that it was he who opened the scoring after an hour, latching onto a superb low cross from Mesca.

As the match wore on, Mesca and Williams swapped flanks and continued to exude confidence and class, whilst possessing an unflappable willingness to run at defenders. It doesn't matter at what level you're playing, fast, direct running will always scare defenders. Just look at the impact Kerim Frei has had on international players like Johan Djourou and Branislav Ivanovic this season.

Mesca has lightning strapped to his boots, his pace only slightly let down by a need to improve final ball quality. Williams on the other hand looks more polished. A traditional right-winger, he has both the pace and the technical ability to deliver a cross and pass, that alone, will make him a valuable commodity going forward.

Celebrating William's goal
It was Williams, from a delightful Mesca run and cross, that showed the composure to tap home the decisive second goal ten minutes from time. Another Australian, Corey Gameiro, then replaced Woodrow, and was almost immediately rewarded with a goal; only a goal line clearance from Blackburn captain Ryan Edwards denied him.

In the closing stages, Blackburn had midfielder John O'Sullivan sent off for a second bookable offense. A shame as O'Sullivan had been one of the few Blackburn players to stay committed to the end, when others heads had dropped. Indeed, Raheem Hanley was then lucky not to pick up his own second yellow card for a foul worse than O'Sullivan's, but by then, referee Mr Nunn perhaps felt sympathy for the Northerners, who, having lost the FA Youth Cup Final to Chelsea on Wednesday, had endured a torrid week.

As the last few minutes elapsed, Fulham kept the ball, passing well and frustrating the forlorn visitors. Fulham were champions. The final whistle blew and it became official, Fulham were the best Under-18 side in the country and a trophy was coming to the Craven Cottage cabinet.

Jack Grimmer was the first to receive his medal, smiles beaming from nearly everyone inside the stadium. Nobody wore their smile with more pride than Minkwitz; leading your men to victory is the dream, and for Ronnie, it was one that had come to reality.

Champions
To see Fulham lift a trophy is something that we all dream of. When you consider the teams entering the Premier Academy League, and the value clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea, who we beat along the way, place in their youth development systems, this triumph really is one we should be proud of.

When watching youth football, it is normally the case that one or two players stick out from the crowd as being a cut above and ready for the next step. It is a mark of the job that Kit Symons has done, that one to eleven all looked impressive, both as individuals and as a team.

That being said, there are several members of this team that can expect to receive promotion come pre-season and into next year. Despite being perhaps the hardest position to emerge in as a youngster in a man's game, central midfielder Minkwitz looks set to have a good future and learning off Danny Murphy will do him no harm. The same for Woodrow, who I'd send to Russian lessons once a week in order for him to learn directly from Pogrebnyak on the art of leading a forward line.

Wingers Mesca and Willams are both impressive, with Mesca even being handed a squad number this season. Of the two though, I'd wager Williams will be seen first. With Frei and Alex Kacaniklic both playing on the left, Mesca will need to improve his delivery to make serious inroads.

The player that I'd promote first though, is Jack Grimmer. At centre half he belied his age. He is listed as a midfielder and reminds me of Chris Baird. The ability to learn off the likes of Baird, Aaron Hughes and Brede Hangeland will undoubtedly lead to good things for the Scot, who will one day surely go on to represent his nation's senior team.

Having picked out those five players, I am not serving to refuse promotion to the others. Altman and Christiansen in particular already have quality in abundance. Given the appropriate seasoning and experience, they will one day be lead to senior professional football, I hope, at Fulham.

Yesterday was a proud day for everyone at Fulham Football Club, and special mention to Fulham Deaf FC who also won their league. With several academy products likely to be involved at White Hart Lane this afternoon in the final Premeir League match of the season, the future is most definitely White.

COYWs

Fulham Team: 1. Roberts, 2. Brister, 3. Kavanagh, 4. Christensen (15. Sambou 87 mins), 5. Grimmer, 6. Pritchard, 7. Williams (14. Banya 89 mins), 8. Minkwitz (c), 9. Woodrow (17. Gameiro 82 mins), 10. Altman, 11. Na Bangna
Subs: 14. Banya, 15. Sambou, 16. Tankovic, 17. Gameiro, 18. O'Reilly
Blackburn Team: 1. Dilo, 2. Wylie, 3. Beesley, 4. Hanley, 5. Edwards (c), 6. O'Connell, 7. Cotton (14. Cham 69 mins), 8. Lennahan (15. Boland 45 mins), 9. Haley, 10. O'Sullivan, 11. Fernandez (12. Payne 82 mins)
Subs: 12. Payne, 13. Urwin, 14. Cham, 15. Boland, 16. Mason

elgreenio

Quote from: Scrumpy on May 12, 2012, 08:23:38 PM
I went to the game today too, and I'd say it was nearer 1500 crowd than 3000. Still, a pretty good turn out and not far off what the first team used to get in the bad old days! All the seats have been taken out of the 'enclosure' and scaffolding put up to start work on the JH Stand roof.

The team itself looked very strong to me. There were no weak links at all, and we certainly tried to play football the right way. I thought Blackburn were a bit more physical, but certainly played within the rules and our players will need to deal with this, and an other approach to the game.

I thought our full backs both looked very good, Minkwitz and Christensen ran the centre of midfield, the 2 wide men (Ryan Williams and Banya or Bangna (not sure)) were excellent. Woodrow, up front, certainly has a footballing brain and looks like a young Teddy Sheringham. All in all, the future looks very, very bright. I can see 3 or 4 of these guys making it in the Premier League - and the rest can surely earn a living at the game.

we did well considering the defence was a bit shuffled, Passley banned and Arthurworrey having a reoccurance of his knee injury. Pritchard is not a centre back and you could see that, got rolled a few times and misjudged some headers, as well as the non-existent marking when they had a free header. I'm still not impressed by Brister though, he got easily done too many times and fancied trying flicks and beating a winger in his own half.

I though Vigen had an injury the way he came out so much earlier than everyone, thought maybe he'd be having a little test run, but yeh faded after 60.

Best game i've seen Williams play in a Fulham shirt, complete menace down the right and you could tell he was getting on Rovers nerves. Mesca did his usual, if he could refine his crossing and he'll learn with age the right time to pass/shoot he could be something special, got that pace and works back really well too.

As for Altman, the game passed him by a bit, he usually has more of an influence playing off Woodrow but he didnt really do much negatively. Was gonna write a report but not sure if i'll bother with the one above
touch my camera through the fence