News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I have seen the future - but does it work?

Started by cmg, May 12, 2012, 08:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Sincere and immense congratulations to our Academy boys and to all those responsible for the recruitment and continued development of this remarkably talented group. It is a very real achievement and one of which we may be justifiably proud. It gives us a valid benchmark as to how we rate against all our rivals and enables us to look forward with some confidence.

Doubtless there will now be some pressure building up to see some of the fruits of this potential harvest playing at a higher level sooner rather than later and the immergence of Frei and Kacaniklic (and, to a lesser extent, Briggs and Trotta ) might give rise to hope that this might occur. However our enthusiam should, perhaps, be tempered with a little caution.

Two years ago Arsenal beat Nottingham Forest in the final of the competition that our boys have just won. Quite impressively 8 of their starting XI are still at the club and form the bulk of their reserve squad. Three of them (Yenneris, Miguel and Frimpong) have made a handful of Premier League appearances between them and three others have been on the bench or made Lg Cup appearances. None have 'broken through' but it is only two years down the line.
I had thought that the Nottingham Forest boys would have fared better, there being less competition - but I was quite wrong. Two of their team that day made a total of 6 first team appearances for Forest this season and the rest are playing in a lower level of football.

Obviously one needs to allow a little more time for talent to develop to get a truer picture. Five years seemed to make sense so I looked at the 2007 Youth Cup Final (Manchester United 2 Liverpool 1 - two 'top' teams with good reputations for bringing on talent). Liverpool fielded ONE player who became anything like a regular 1st teamer, Jay Spearing. The rest made THREE 1st team appearances between them and none is still at Liverpool or at any Prem or Championship club.
The Manchester United lads fared no better. Danny Welbeck was the only success. Eckersley made TWO first team appearances and is now at Toronto (not the Blue Jays, Im guessing) and all the rest have now departed to lower (in some cases, much lower) level clubs.

We all remember the 1992 Manchester United Youth team with Beckham, Giggs, Neville and Butt (and Robbie Savage!) - but such occurences are few and far between. Let's hope Fulham '12 is one such.

MasterHaynes

I'm definitely looking at it positively, with half glass full and think we may have a class of 2012 that makes a real impact in the premiership. It's not just blind hope either, I have constantly questioned others claims for Briggs but watching this group of players who do not rely on physique to impress but purely on their talent and ball skills promises so much. They compete with teams that generally are much larger and stronger than them, although they often get pressured off of the ball their confidence is such that they continue to play football, passing and moving, holding the ball until the right pass is available.

They all seem comfortable on the ball and play exactly the same formation and tactics as the 1st team so progression will seem like an extension of the same with fewer problems experienced with the transition.

The real test is how mature they are and how they handle the opportunities when they arrive. The decisions they make in the next year or two may be the defining moment for many of them. If they opt to stay with Fulham rather than grab the first big pay packet thats offered, continue to develop and work on their physical attributes, are patient and remain level headed I think a lot of them will have very successful careers. Many young players listen to their agents and follow the money which is usually a big mistake take Kakuta and now Pogba who will disappear into Juventus reserves, both very expensive talented ypungsters that look like their careers have been shunted into the sidings before they have begun.  from the other end of the spectrum look at Hoolihan with Norwich 29yr old, only now showing what a good player he is. his career stunted by some bad early moves which ended with him playing in Blackpool reserves.Dyer and Sinclair at Swansea are now showing what they can do given the right environment.

Young players grow and develop and learn when allowed to play surrounded by experienced players giving them licence to do what they do best and covering their mistakes.  I think. looking at the comments from Riise, Murphy and Hangeland about Frei and Kaclinic and their responses  Fulham have the a great setup, opportunities will arise with an ageing squad which could allow younger players to flourish.

The players that played today also have to compete with others that did not play today who are also just as good which means they are kept on the straght and narrow with competition for their place. The club owe it to this group to do everything they can to give them the opportunity. A group like this, as you quite rightly point out, do not come along very often.

finnster01

Nothing is certain. Just like Sven killing off the "Golden Generation" for England. I don't think I'll ever see England again in a major final in my lifetime.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

VicHalomsLovechild

So where do our current crop of mature players come from? Most of the starting eleven and the bench are all overseas players. Are academy's good value ?

finnster01

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on May 12, 2012, 11:22:05 PM
So where do our current crop of mature players come from? Most of the starting eleven and the bench are all overseas players. Are academy's good value ?

Makes you wonder sometimes, doesn't it Mr Vic? Maybe this new thing/center they are building will help although I am sure the FA will find a way to mess that up as well unfortunately. Sorry, I am talking England now, but our academy has loads on non  English as well
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

cmg

Quote from: MasterHaynes on May 12, 2012, 10:39:23 PM

...their confidence is such that they continue to play football, passing and moving, holding the ball until the right pass is available.

They all seem comfortable on the ball and play exactly the same formation and tactics as the 1st team so progression will seem like an extension of the same with fewer problems experienced with the transition.

This is the most encouraging thing of all. It seems as if something exciting may be happening at this club.
But it is a very delicate bloom. It wouldn't take much to derail the whole deal. Injuries, a few unexpected defeats to more 'robust' sides. Loss of confidence. Managerial change. And the whole thing goes down the drain.

Quote from: MasterHaynes on May 12, 2012, 10:39:23 PM

Young players grow and develop and learn when allowed to play surrounded by experienced players giving them licence to do what they do best and covering their mistakes.  I think. looking at the comments from Riise, Murphy and Hangeland about Frei and Kaclinic and their responses  Fulham have the a great setup, opportunities will arise with an ageing squad which could allow younger players to flourish.

It's a really important factor. The senior players have been a great credit to themselves and to the club over the past few years. Not only in the way they have performed on the pitch, but the way they have reacted to setbacks and adversity. I had a few words with a young player last year who said that senior players were incredibly helpful with their encouragement and advise (there was one exception, but as he is no longer wth us -although not to far away - that need not concern us).

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on May 12, 2012, 11:22:05 PM

Well, they have all come from somebody's academy, so someone must be doing it right.
The Academy idea is relatively new in England. The set-ups at Real, Barca, Ajax etc. were known about for some time before anyone did anything about it here. Perhaps we need to give it more time.

The England set-up at Burton is a good case in point. It's taken for ever to get it off the ground. It has been suggested that Hodgson's appointment owed a great deal to his suitability to oversee things there.

Jack Fulham

I think think from play under 18 football you still have another 3 or 4 years of development before actually playing in the first team at prem level. You have to be a very special player to be able to play from 17/18. I think we expect too much from are younger players these days.

VicHalomsLovechild

I don't disagree with any of the answers. Just whether it makes financial sense to have an Academy at Fulham? Does having a winning youth side persuade more young talent to come our way? Does it show Fulham as a progressive club interested in all things grass roots etc and does it pay at the end of the day?
Winning and being surrounded by winners (whatever their age) can only be a good thing. 1500 turning up for a youth game has to be seen as something a bit special though.
Well done the Academy, I wish you all, players and backroom staff bright futures.

The futures bright, the futures Orange lol 

White Noise

From TIFF -

U18's -- Matt, Saturday, May 12, 08:10:50pm (5ac020e0.bb.sky.com/90.192.32.224)

Great day out, nice to be able to feel the sunshine for a change with a few beers by the river and great the Club made an occasion of it with the first team squad attending and producing a free mini programme.

Blackburn players were huge (except their keeper) and got bigger with every substitution! Thought the team played well and got stronger and stronger throughout the match. Congratulations to them, Kit and his coaching team.

For me Banga was the standout player with astonishing pace and dribbling ability, they just couldn't keep up with him and were forced into bundling him over on more than one occasion. Some great technique shown from Ryan Williams, Cauley Woodrow has an excellent touch and technique, hopefully he will improve his upper body strength, which I think he will need to succeed at a higher level.

Minkwitz reminds me of a young Lewington, actually thought he struggled a bit early in the game but came more and more into it and was running things by the end.

Great day and a great result, first trophy I have seen us win since the Intertoto!

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

Replies:

Agree that our wingers stood out,along with our number 2 whose name escapes me. Bonus bit of silverware to end the season and another Premier League trophy to go with the one our women won in 2002! There isn't an Academy Champions League is there?! (NT) -- Dougie, Saturday, May 12, 08:45:44pm (93-97-54-239.dsl.cnl.uk.net/93.97.54.239)

our number 2 - Alex Brister. Yes, he looks as though he has potential and was also one of our better players in last year's final.promising (NT) -- Barry E, Saturday, May 12, 10:12:43pm (82-68-230-222.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk/82.68.230.222)

i thought we were good value for the win. no one stood out in the same way as Frei last year but I thought that overall from 1 to 11 this was a stronge team. Everyone was comfortable in possession and I thought Grimmer stood out in particuar as one who always looked to play constructively. Minkwitz plays as if he has studied Danny Murphy very closely and was probably the stand out performer for me Passley, who stood out last week, was suspended. (NT) -- f bloke, Saturday, May 12, 10:33:05pm (host81-151-208-24.range81-151.btcentralplus.com/81.151.208.24)

The programme said that Frei had been given permission to play, but I guess the injury to Dempsey means that he was called back into the first team squad. (NT) -- Matt, Saturday, May 12, 10:44:39pm (5ac020e0.bb.sky.com/90.192.32.224)

White Noise

Great performance lads, a deserved win. -- PWR, Saturday, May 12, 05:06:38pm (NoHost/2.27.73.102)

Stars were Ronnie Minkwitz, a Danny Clone who outclassed and out worked everyone else by a mile. Ready to step up a level for certain.

Cauley Woodrow was another player who looked classy, made playing the lone striker look very easy. Could make the step up too. As could late sub Striker Gameiro who made an impact for certain.

A special mention must go to our back 4.

3 played out of position and Kavannagh played very well considering his age and size, plus he has a sweet left foot.

Not faultless, but as I say, 3 well out of position against Blackburn's bigger lads.

Do not rule out us signing thier number 4, 5 or 10

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

Replies:

Got to mention Christensen and Na Banga, they were oustanding (NT) -- kef, Saturday, May 12, 05:13:59pm (cpc2-slam2-0-0-cust252.2-4.cable.virginmedia.com/80.0.56.253)

Christensen was solid nothing more, but did some good work off the ball but completely out shone by our Captain. Mecca and Williams was both good and had bright patches, but both have alot of work to do before I can say they will make the step up. Now if Mecca plays like he did for the final 20 minutes then he'll make it.But he's behind alot of players for the wide beths. (NT) -- PWR, Saturday, May 12, 05:22:46pm (NoHost/2.27.73.102)

Is Williams the young lad we signed from Pompey? (NT) -- a, Saturday, May 12, 05:32:08pm (host109-155-253-73.range109-155.btcentralplus.com/109.155.253.73)

Na Banga? (NT) -- what kind of name is that, Saturday, May 12, 05:16:38pm (5ac4ba4c.bb.sky.com/90.196.186.76)

Banga,the no 11 was the difference in the second half (NT) -- Martin, Saturday, May 12, 05:19:21pm (NoHost/82.132.242.89)

Whatever Gameiro had said to their number 5, it had obviously upset him enough to need to go at him twice off the ball... (NT) -- Alan, Saturday, May 12, 06:18:56pm (cpc23-seve20-2-0-cust249.13-3.cable.virginmedia.com/82.3.104.250)

thought about who and what type of player Danny Clone was for several seconds (NT) -- Lork, Saturday, May 12, 06:54:24pm (cpc25-seac19-2-0-cust11.7-2.cable.virginmedia.com/82.31.44.12)

Burt

Well done to Kit and the lads.

The future's whiite!