watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol Has A Point To Prove

Started by White Noise, May 13, 2012, 08:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/251003/Return-to-Tottenham-is-real-Spur-to-Martin-Jol/

RETURN TO TOTTENHAM IS REAL SPUR TO MARTIN JOL

13th May 2012

By Charles Harper

MARTIN JOL insists ­Tottenham overachieved during his spell in charge.

And he reckons current Spurs manager Harry Redknapp has more than double the budget he had to spend on players.

The Fulham boss returns to White Hart Lane this afternoon for the first time since Daniel Levy gave him the boot in October 2007, with the opportunity to ruin their hopes of finishing in the top four.

Jol was sacked despite only missing out on Champions League qualification on the final day of the 2006-07 season.

But he says you cannot compare the current side with his because of the amount of money the club have spent since he left.

"The budget at Spurs was probably not even half of what they have got now. I read somewhere it is £154million – but we had £75m," said the Dutchman.

"When I started we were fourteenth in the league and improved in my first full season before coming fifth two years in a row.

"It was good to be fifth because it was the first time they qualified for Europe through the league in twenty three years."

Jol's current side are aiming to match their highest-ever top-flight finish of seventh – but face a Spurs side knowing that they need to win to put pressure on Arsenal in third place.

And the former Hamburg and Ajax boss is not expecting things to be easy.

He said: "They've done really well to come back from their bad run and are in good form.

"We have to match them otherwise it's impossible to get anything."

Me-ate-Live, innit??

the Spurts will sing :
Stand up for Martin Jol!

and ''our'' Marty  will roll over  and get his tummy tickled, our boy does love his Spurts  

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4312502/Martin-Jol-I-was-a-better-Spurs-boss-than-Harry-Redknapp.html

I was better than you, Harry

By ROSS GREGORY

Published: 12th May 2012

MARTIN JOL reckons he did a better job at Tottenham than Harry Redknapp — with the money he was given to spend.

4 comments

The Fulham manager led Spurs to fifth in 2006 with a fraction of current boss Redknapp's budget.

And Jol takes his side to White Hart Lane this afternoon knowing that they can stop his old club from securing a Champions League spot.

It is the first time Jol has taken a team there since being sacked by chairman Daniel Levy in 2007.

He said: "It was good to be fifth with Spurs as it was the first time they qualified for Europe through the league in 23 years.

"The budget was probably not even half of what they have now.

"I read somewhere it is £154million — but we had £75m.

"When I started, we were 14th in the league and improved in my first full season before coming fifth two years in a row. But we didn't have the same players players as they have now." Redknapp came to Spurs when they were battling relegation in 2008 and led them into the Champions League two years later.

But only defeat against West Ham on the final day in 2006 saw Jol's Spurs miss out on a Champions League spot to Arsenal.

That was after several of his team went down with food poisoning from a dodgy lasagne.

Jol added: "At Spurs, there was not a lot of pressure until the second season when they said 'you have to be in the top four'.

"Harry would tell you that Liverpool should be in their place so that probably means they shouldn't be in the top four either.

"I couldn't say that as boss at the time."

Tottenham have recovered from a disastrous run that saw them surrender third place to Arsenal.

But seven points from their last three matches has now given them the opportunity to overtake their North London rivals on the final day — if they beat Fulham and Arsenal fail to win at West Brom.

Despite taking just 17 points on their travels this season, Jol insists the Cottagers will not make it easy for his former side.

He said: "They've done really well to come back from their bad run and are in good form.

"We have to match them in every department to get a result at White Hart Lane, otherwise it's impossible."

In his first year at Fulham, Jol has given the Cottagers the chance to match their highest Premier League finish of seventh.

That is despite this afternoon's match being No 55 of a marathon season that began in the Europa League on June 30 last year.

Jol admitted he is enjoying being at a club where the expectations are much lower.

He added: "It's easier because you can do your business behind the curtains."

Senior Supporter

So according to that last line Jol likes "doing his business behind the curtains". I had a dog like that until I got him house trained.  064.gif

Bassey the warrior

I think he's right. Bar a freak occurence - the players getting food poisoning - he would've qualified. In doing so he would've got money to spend and improved the squad and possibly had a decent run. Redknapp has done well to rejuvenate Spurs but make no mistake he has one of the best sides in the league to pick from.