watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Graham Leggat Knocked Out By Ian St.John

Started by White Noise, May 14, 2012, 06:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Bit of a nasty challenge too that led up to it.

Is he Joey Barton in disguise?

HatterDon

Quote from: Burt on May 14, 2012, 06:46:59 AM
Bit of a nasty challenge too that led up to it.

Is he Joey Barton in disguise?

No, St. John was a human being.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LBNo11

...that's not Graham Leggat, it is in fact Mark 'Pancho' Pearson making that theatrical collapse...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Snibbo

Quote from: LBNo11 on May 14, 2012, 08:30:16 AM
...that's not Graham Leggat, it is in fact Mark 'Pancho' Pearson making that theatrical collapse...
quite right lbn . I was standing on the Thames bank for that match and it happened right in front of me. very memorable .

b+w geezer

In photos of Pearson as a Busby Babe he looks about a foot taller than the bloke who end up here claiming to be him. Lovely theatrical flourish with his hand once he's on the ground.

Another (double) sending off from the period, which yesterday brought back memories of: Callaghan/Venables at WHL. And another, Ian Ure/Allan Clarke. Would love to see either of those again.

gang

bill taylors apprentice

I was down the front in line with incident and if Callaghan connected, it was the slightest of touches. I think Pearson milked it having realized he might have Tommy Smith to deal with as well.
It was probably the highlight of his time with Fulham.  

bigalffc

I was at the hammy end that day and we all thought he'd hit George Cohen
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

cmg

Not one easily forgotten (although in my mind Pearson ended up on the running track).

I like St John's comment that, "...I was prepared to die for these people..." the footage then goes on to show that he was prepared to kill for them, too.

I think the right puts Pearson down, fortunately for him he was falling when the left came over or it would have taken his head off.
I'd like to know what Tommy Smith was saying - now he was a really scary bloke.

We ended up winning this one (the football match, that is.)

Now Graham Leggat v Ian St John would have been worth going a long way to see.

jarv

Snibbo, I was standing very close to you. It happened right in front of me, I was maybe about 5 rows back (or steps back).

ron

Quote from: Snibbo on May 14, 2012, 10:20:50 AM
Quote from: LBNo11 on May 14, 2012, 08:30:16 AM
quite right lbn . I was standing on the Thames bank for that match and it happened right in front of me. very memorable .

Me too. It was just towards the hammersmith end from the halfway line Perhaps we were standing shoulder to shoulder all those years ago !

I enjoyed Ron Yeats' rage at Steve Earle's handball (allegedly !) when scoring a goal in that game, a 2-0 win for us which started a revival and survival ....

AlFayedsChequebook

Football was so much better in the old days  092.gif

LBNo11

...if any of you at that match would like a DVD of the game send me a PM...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

ron

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 14, 2012, 01:31:19 PM
Football was so much better in the old days  092.gif

In fact, days were so much better in the old days!

Ronnief

I was close by too. Standing in the Putney end.  I can't remember which year this was. Can anyone let me know the date of the match.

I also remember a match against Liverpool when Les Barrett was running rings around them until a Pool fan ran onto the pitch and punched Les in the face.  Have never liked Liverpool since.

cmg

Quote from: Ronnief on May 14, 2012, 08:19:21 PM
I was close by too. Standing in the Putney end.  I can't remember which year this was. Can anyone let me know the date of the match.

I also remember a match against Liverpool when Les Barrett was running rings around them until a Pool fan ran onto the pitch and punched Les in the face.  Have never liked Liverpool since.

26 Feb 1966

In looking up the date in Dennis Turner's wonderful book I unearthed the following piece of info concerning Graham Leggat - he played 12 times against Leicester with Gordon Banks (thought by many to be England's best ever keeper) in goal and scored against him 13 times.