News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Lerner To Bring In Assassin To Solve Villa's Problems?

Started by White Noise, May 18, 2012, 07:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9273622/Manchester-United-veteran-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-on-shortlist-to-be-Aston-Villa-manager.html

Manchester United veteran Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on shortlist to be Aston Villa manager

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is on the Aston Villa shortlist as their American owner, Randy Lerner, steps up his search for a new manager. Solskjaer, the former Manchester United forward and current manager of Norwegian side Molde, is on Lerner's radar along with Roberto Martínez, Paul Lambert and Brendan Rodgers.

Surprise candidate: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, 39, fits Villa's profile as a young and ambitious coach

By John Percy

9:48PM BST 17 May 2012

3 Comments

Lerner's private jet was reportedly in Norway on Thursday night as Villa prepare to fly Solskjaer over to Birmingham for talks.

The 39 year-old fits the criteria of a young, ambitious manager that has been identified as crucial following the difficult spells endured by Alex McLeish and Gérard Houllier. The odds plummeted last night on him becoming McLeish's successor but there has been no official approach. Lerner, who flew into England on Wednesday, is still assembling a battle plan with Paul Faulkner, the Villa chief executive.

But the fact Solskjaer has emerged as a surprise contender only underlines how his stock is rising after an impressive start to his managerial career. After a distinguished playing career predominantly with United, where he spent 11 seasons and scored 126 goals in 366 appearances, he coached the reserves for 2½ years before taking the job in his native country. He guided Molde to their first league title in October and his contract, which runs to the summer of 2014, is believed to contain a substantial buy-out clause.

It is believed Martínez, the Wigan manager, remains Villa's preferred target even though he rejected the job last summer.

McLeish, who was dismissed by Lerner on Monday after 11 months, issued a typically dignified statement through the League Managers Association yesterday expressing his disappointment at a nightmare tenure.

He said: "When I accepted the role as manager of Aston Villa I was acutely aware of the responsibility I had to find the best way to serve the great traditions of one of the finest clubs in professional football.

"I was truly honoured to have been given the opportunity to manage the club, which plays such an important part in the fabric of the local community and to its worldwide fan base. My only regret in leaving is we weren't able to achieve more for the supporters and their huge expectations."

Villa are expected to move quickly as they fear competition from West Bromwich Albion, who are also searching for a new manager following the departure of Roy Hodgson to England.

Martínez and Rodgers are also on Albion's shortlist, while Birmingham City's Chris Hughton remains a serious contender.

A surprise choice for Villa could be Kevin MacDonald, who has established an excellent reputation in charge of the club's reserves.

valdeingruo

I would like to see how he fares in managing english football
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Burt

A risky appointment, in my view. He is still at the start of his managerial career and Villa will be a completely differerent proposition to Molde...

Jack Fulham

Quote from: Burt on May 18, 2012, 12:35:42 PM
A risky appointment, in my view. He is still at the start of his managerial career and Villa will be a completely differerent proposition to Molde...

well, all appointments are risks to an extent. He's shown at Molde that he can win and with young players as well and Villa are bringing through a lot of young players at the moment so he'd probably be a good fit in that sense. I reckon Villa fans will be fairly happy if he is appointed.