Main Menu

Jol Running Out Of Ways To Tell Etuhu To Do One

Started by White Noise, May 18, 2012, 08:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Etuhu's Fulham future in the balance

By Yann Tear

May 18 2012

MARTIN Jol admits Dickson Etuhu's impatience could see him depart in the summer if Fulham receive any offers for him.

The Nigerian international has not been able to convince the Whites boss of his worth this season, making only nine Premier League starts – the last of which was against Man City at the beginning of February.

Jol has preferred Steve Sidwell as Danny Murphy's partner in the holding midfield role and Etuhu was given an even clearer indication that he is not seen as a first-choice player when an injury to Sidwell prompted the boss to draft in Mahamadou Diarra.

Etuhu turns 30 next month and will not want to waste another season and Jol will listen to approaches for the midfielder, who cost £1.5m when he moved from Sunderland in August 2008. He is under contract until summer 2013.

"Dickson is too good to be on the bench," Jol said. "That is what he tells me and I know that. We will have to find a solution for him."

"I like Dickson. He is a good player. But we've also got players like Diarra and Sidwell.  

"I think Dickson is a defensive midfield player. The only thing is, Danny Murphy is a link-up player who has played in his position, so that is a bit awkward, because if you play with Dickson, you play with two defensive midfield players. He knows that.

"He has not been first choice, but in football you never know because if Danny Murphy were to be injured, for example – and, touch wood, he never misses a game – then there will be an opportunity for Dickson again.

"If he plays like he plays in training, the situation can change. But if they are not patient enough, then maybe you have to find a different solution."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/05/18/etuhu-s-fulham-future-in-the-balance-82029-30994559/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1vCoISkyQ

BalDrick

If nothing else, quotes in that should calm the nerves of people who think the Murph might be off.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

TonyGilroy

In talking to the press I think you tend to get a stream of consciousness from Jol and whilst I'm sure he means what he says when he says it I don't think it often bears much analysis.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 18, 2012, 09:24:27 AM

In talking to the press I think you tend to get a stream of consciousness from Jol and whilst I'm sure he means what he says when he says it I don't think it often bears much analysis.

There is one interesting quote - "If he plays like he plays in training, the situation can change. But if they are not patient enough, then maybe you have to find a different solution."

Rich over at CCN had an article last year about this when Hughes signed him onto a new contract.

He must be Messi in training then returns to Etuhu during the pressure of a game.

Burt

Too good to be on the bench but not good enough for the first team... There is a message there somewhere.

It's a shame in one regard, which is when he does step up to the mark he can be quite a formidable player. The problem is he hardly ever gets a decent opportunity, and when he does he is not consistent enough.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Burt on May 18, 2012, 12:29:56 PM
Too good to be on the bench but not good enough for the first team... There is a message there somewhere.

It's a shame in one regard, which is when he does step up to the mark he can be quite a formidable player. The problem is he hardly ever gets a decent opportunity, and when he does he is not consistent enough.

I'd say he has been consistent - his run of games before Christmas were excellent

He is just a defensive midfielder. Unfortunately for him we have several players who can do that and more.

jarv

Agree with AlF. I like him, he always gives it all and appears to have been totally committed to the cause since he has been at Fulham. He does deserve to play however, so maybe a spot at Reading or Blackpool (when they come up). :54:

BalDrick

I'd be more inclined to like him if he'd put the ball past Paddy Kenny late in the 2nd half in February, or indeed if for one micro second I actually felt he was going to.

Mr Fulham

Jol's quotes pretty much confirm that Steve Sidwell will stay at Fulham.

But we've also got players like Diarra and Sidwell.

That's a good one.

Chesh

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 18, 2012, 02:07:23 PM
Jol's quotes pretty much confirm that Steve Sidwell will stay at Fulham.

But we've also got players like Diarra and Sidwell.

That's a good one.

I bumped into Sidwell at Chessington a few weeks ago, and he said it was all about hitting the ground early pre-season for him, and he was looking forward to next season,
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: BalDrick on May 18, 2012, 01:57:16 PM
I'd be more inclined to like him if he'd put the ball past Paddy Kenny late in the 2nd half in February, or indeed if for one micro second I actually felt he was going to.

What about his goal against Blackpool last season?

http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/blackpool-2-2-fulham-etuhu

To be fair, I was as shocked as anyone at his cool finish that day!

Bassey the warrior

bill taylors apprentice

There was a piece about Etuhu on Sky sports news yesterday.
Seemed a bit strange that they would talk to a fringe player? Maybe his agent wants him in the shop window.
He basically said I am happy at Fulham but am desperate for first team football.
I got the impression he was saying between the lines, I'm no trouble, a good club man who will give  100% come and get me.

Two Ton Ted

He's ok, but he's got no place in a top 10 Premier League team. Maybe QPR and their ilk would suit him.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

EJL

Quote from: Two Ton Ted on May 18, 2012, 02:56:16 PM
He's ok, but he's got no place in a top 10 Premier League team. Maybe QPR and their ilk would suit him.
'and their like'? You don't like Etuhu then?

BalDrick

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 18, 2012, 02:26:08 PM
There was a piece about Etuhu on Sky sports news yesterday.
Seemed a bit strange that they would talk to a fringe player? Maybe his agent wants him in the shop window.
He basically said I am happy at Fulham but am desperate for first team football.
I got the impression he was saying between the lines, I'm no trouble, a good club man who will give  100% come and get me.

Which is what he is to be fair, no toys/prams scenarios with him, no cupping his ear, basically no acting like a spoilt child, the guy just wants to play football (and would probably take a small wage cut to be able to). I like him as a guy, for the aforementioned reasons, he just ain't good enough for us anymore.

Two Ton Ted

He's a perfectly competent player but if we want to be challenging for the top 6 next season we need better players than him.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Two Ton Ted on May 18, 2012, 04:48:38 PM
He's a perfectly competent player but if we want to be challenging for the top 6 next season we need better players than him.

I'd say that we need players of his quality as backup if we are to challenge.

He can definitely do a job filling in for people, but would not be a starter.

Mr Fulham