watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Chris Baird Considers Fulham & International Future

Started by White Noise, May 22, 2012, 06:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/football/baird-takes-time-out-to-consider-his-future-1-3867031

Baird takes time out to consider his future

Published on Monday 21 May 2012 23:55

MICHAEL O'Neill hopes Chris Baird will be available for selection for Northern Ireland's World Cup qualifying campaign which kicks-off in September.

Baird will sit out next month's friendly with the Netherlands to take time out to consider his international future.

The Fulham defender – who could be set for a move away from Craven Cottage this summer – has proved an important part of Northern Ireland's squad in recent years.

"Chris has asked for time to think over his future," O'Neill revealed.

"He has not had a great season and may be moving on but I would hope he will be available to me after the summer."

Baird's Fulham team-mate Aaron Hughes also sits out the Netherlands clash, as does West Brom star Gareth McAuley.

"When Aaron decided to come back, he informed me he would not be available for this game and McAuley also informed me he was unable to make the trip," O'Neill added.

"Kyle Lafferty and Steven Davis are out after surgery and Martin Paterson missed the last month of the season with a hamstring injury after being sidelined for most of the season so it would not have been fair to him or his club for him to play now.

"Jamie Ward is similar to Martin in that he was injured at the end of the season and Chris Brunt had his tonsils out last week and there were a few problems afterwards.

"Dean Shiels has had ankle surgery and Jonny Evans also missed a few games with a similar problem."

Berserker

Do we know if it was just personal reasons that stopped Chris Baird playing last season, he seemed to be missing alot. I'll be sad to see him leave if he does
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

bog

I would be very dissapointed to see Chris go. For me he is one of the most improved players we have ever had. From being booed when he would come on under Sanchez as a sub with Roy Hodgson he became one of the first names on the team sheet....and in midfield.
I can understand he wishing to look for more games elsewhere but as another of 'that Europa squad' probably moves on I will think it to be a sad day.    

fulhamben

i like baird, but like aj im getting very impatiant with his random availabilty for selection. now i might be being harsh and for all i know he has a sick child (which would justify all the time off he needs) but the fact we just keep getting told its personal reasons is now bugging me. so from a totally selfish point of view, should it not be fulham who are questioning wether to keep baird on as he needs so much time off, rather than baird pondering his future.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

General

It's not like him to just go. He must feel like he's not being given any support or any chance in footballing terms because he stuck here through thick and thin when the fans didn't warm to him.

Hope whatever he does it's to greener pastures for him emotionally. Always nice having good guys at this club.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: General on May 22, 2012, 09:24:16 AM
It's not like him to just go. He must feel like he's not being given any support or any chance in footballing terms because he stuck here through thick and thin when the fans didn't warm to him.

Hope whatever he does it's to greener pastures for him emotionally. Always nice having good guys at this club.

Not sure that is true.

Has he not spent a significant proportion of the season away dealing with family issues? Maybe this is a bigger conundrum for him.

Andy_M

Does anyone know what the actual reason is he's been missing for most of the season?
@got_maile

Captain Peacock

I am a big fan of Chris, what he does he does very well!
Somewhere in deepest East Surrey
Follow me on twitter @pavo121

jarv

Andy,
I have a young friend here in the states who used to be his room mate at Southampton when they were youngsters. My mate has maintained (minimal) contact with CB and told me he has a sick child but on the mend now. That was about 3 months ago.

BalDrick

Quote from: jarv on May 22, 2012, 11:38:50 AM
Andy,
I have a young friend here in the states who used to be his room mate at Southampton when they were youngsters. My mate has maintained (minimal) contact with CB and told me he has a sick child but on the mend now. That was about 3 months ago.

Thoughts very much with him then if that's the case. It's only football FFS
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Andy_M

I agree, if that is the case then my thoughts and best wishes are with him and his family!

Quote from: BalDrick on May 22, 2012, 12:00:07 PM
Andy,

@got_maile

Andy_M

Oh, and thanks for the info jarv

Andy,
@got_maile

EJL

Always be remembered for that day at the Brittania.

Keefy

Always rated him as a FOOTBALLER from the first game I saw in a pre-season at Brighton. Solid and intelligent player.....hope he stays

Captain Peacock

Andy,

Here here!
Somewhere in deepest East Surrey
Follow me on twitter @pavo121

NorthernWhite

Quote from: EJL on May 22, 2012, 12:12:43 PM

Always be remembered for that day at the Brittania.

We couldn't believe our eyes watching those 2 goals go in and then being under siege for a while fom the Stoke bombardment. My son and I spent the rest of the game bricking it as the fog was coming in very heavily and we were thinking typical Fulham, we look to win away at Stoke and it's cancelled ala Sunderland the other year when we were leading due to bad weather.

NorthernWhite

Andy,

Agreed Baldrick, he's always been a consumate professional here at Fulham and never once bitched to the press. I hope his family are all on the mend now and he also had some issues with his mum being targetted back in Ireland with a fire bomb I seem to remember. If he does move, he gets to play regularly and all the best to him and his family.

Bassey the warrior

Would be a real shame but it's always been on the cards. He's not seen a lot of football this year. If he does move on we should definitely keep Grygera for his versatility.