Wolves new stand

Started by Walsh, May 23, 2012, 12:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walsh

Well... somebody is in trouble.

Jack Fulham

Oh that is terrible. Haha

Alan

Was talking to a Wolves fan when we went there under Hughes, & he said that the plan was to redevelop a stand each year. Well, I guess that's what you get...
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

manxman

Someone is a Baggie  :011:
"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

Scrumpy

That'll be where they stick the away fans then!  fp.gif
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

BalDrick

Quote from: Scrumpy on May 23, 2012, 08:02:10 AM
That'll be where they stick the away fans then!  fp.gif

Probably right. Still, that needn't concern us for a good few seasons you'd have hoped.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

White Noise

There does seem to be a steady stream of stadium expansion despite these tough times.

Brighton are taking their capacity up from 22,500 to 31,000 and have sold 20,000 ST's.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-18084063

NorthernWhite

Quote from: White Noise on May 23, 2012, 08:28:05 AM
There does seem to be a steady stream of stadium expansion despite these tough times.

Brighton are taking their capacity up from 22,500 to 31,000 and have sold 20,000 ST's.

They're pretty impressive numbers WN. If Poyet were able to get them promoted, they could have a period of (relative) sustained sucess if they could fill a 31,000 seater stadium each game.

It's so important to our future that we get the OK to expand CC.

Rupert

Quote from: NorthernWhite on May 23, 2012, 08:36:45 AM

They're pretty impressive numbers WN. If Poyet were able to get them promoted, they could have a period of (relative) sustained sucess if they could fill a 31,000 seater stadium each game.

It's so important to our future that we get the OK to expand CC.

Agree with all of that. Brighton also have a huge catchment area to potentially exploit. I'm not saying they could become a footballing powerhouse, but they do have the potential for doing what we did, become an established mid-table Premiership team, and one which would be a popular away-day for our lot.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

MJG

I have not been to game there but was invoved in an event at the ground last month.
Its an impressive bit of work and to a very high standard. I'm not surprised they are increasing it as thats how it was designed.
I have always thought that Brighton could be a decent mid-lower prem team if they had the right ground. Well now they do.

MasterHaynes

You even get cushions on your seats at Brighton, very comfortable.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: MJG on May 23, 2012, 09:03:39 AM

I have not been to game there but was invoved in an event at the ground last month.
Its an impressive bit of work and to a very high standard. I'm not surprised they are increasing it as thats how it was designed.
I have always thought that Brighton could be a decent mid-lower prem team if they had the right ground. Well now they do.

They also have a far different approach to fans than many existing Prem teams do. Great views for a start, fantastic treatment of away fans and for everybody the transport system actually works for you and not against. Elliot had a mate at Uni in Brighton, Falmer probably, and almost everybody he met was 'going saturday' as there were student discounts, a free shuttle and then onwards into the town proper. Many lessons for others to embrace here. Good luck to them.

White Noise

I've been saying for years that for a lot of the professional clubs in this country the 'if you build it they will come' maxim will hold good. I posted an article on here recently that talked about how they build grounds now with more toilets and other facilities with an eye to getting more women and kids into football grounds - I think they said the ratio of many modern stadia now is anticipated to be 60% blokes and 40% women and kids.

I live in Sussex and Brighton are the only team round he for miles. I have been to watch Eastbourne and Hastings and Lewes etc but Brighton are the only club with the scale to get a profile in schools and youth organisations round my way. I also think Portsmouth could get 40,000 regularly if they built a decent new stadium.

Leisure time increases, disposable income increases (for many), and the demand for live entertainment increases. Football is THE spectator sport and I think we are just at the begining of a new era of super size football stadia in this country.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: White Noise on May 23, 2012, 09:36:11 AM
I've been saying for years that for a lot of the professional clubs in this country the 'if you build it they will come' maxim will hold good. I posted an article on here recently that talked about how they build grounds now with more toilets and other facilities with an eye to getting more women and kids into football grounds - I think they said the ratio of many modern stadia now is anticipated to be 60% blokes and 40% women and kids.

I live in Sussex and Brighton are the only team round he for miles. I have been to watch Eastbourne and Hastings and Lewes etc but Brighton are the only club with the scale to get a profile in schools and youth organisations round my way. I also think Portsmouth could get 40,000 regularly if they built a decent new stadium.

Leisure time increases, disposable income increases (for many), and the demand for live entertainment increases. Football is THE spectator sport and I think we are just at the begining of a new era of super size football stadia in this country.

It holds true if the money is there to invest in the first place.

A good example of where it has gone wrong is Oxford United. No close regular premier league teams, not many large football teams nearby and considered a largish team in the area. They left the Manor Ground for the flash new Kassam which had taken six years of speculation and created financial problems. They subsequently got relegated from the football league and have only just got back.

It is a decent stadium, plenty of facilities and a Cinema/bowling alley right next door but spends most of its time empty and only has three stands. If Oxford can get up the leagues they will do better, but they do not own the stadium and dont have the money to buy it either.

Oiseau

That's awful! I wonder which architects they employed?

Singing 'You've only got three stands! Three stands!' at Molineux last year (while they were building it) is one of my favourite memories from the last season.  :011:

Burt

Gives a whole new meaning to "restricted view"...

ScalleysDad

They did trump "You've only get three stands" quite nicely with a very good and funny rendition called "My garden shed is bigger than this" when they came to The Cottage.
I know a couple of Wolves fans so will be chuffed if I can work out how to send this one on.