News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Help out my football club? (eaaasy)

Started by michaelread, May 24, 2012, 06:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelread

Hey guys,

Recently my team was selected by Wild Turkey to be one of 10 teams in australia to vie for the "Wild Turkey 10" title. Out of ten regions in australia, thousands of teams submitted video entries, and one from each region was chosen to be in the final 10. Our team was chosen for our region (Newcastle), and for this, we received $2000 aud to spend on equipment, about $1000 worth of training gear, an iPad, a wild turkey branded bbq, a wild turkey branded poker table, etc etc. All the fun stuff.

The major prize, however, is 10 thousand dollars cash to spend however you like.

Now, as some of you may or may not know, our team is a bit of a special one (i think so anyway). As well as being a bunch of boozey mates aged 19-22 (and one 27 year old), we also do a lot of work for a local organisation called CanTeen, who look after kids with cancer, or kids who's parents may have cancer currently, or have passed from cancer. They arent looking for a cure, nor prevention, they more provide camps, fun, entertainment, and get togethers for kids who feel isolated due to the disease.

In our team of 15, 3 of the lads have directly been involved in canteen as members when they were younger, and 7 of the 15 have had a direct family member diagnosed in their 22 odd years.

My mum has had breast cancer on 3 seperate occasions, and shes 48. She first got it when I was 12, and feeling pretty isolated and worried about her, I couldnt talk to my mates about it, so I joined up with CanTeen and made some pretty amazing friends going through the same stuff. Those camps well and truly kept me sane. Now, at 22, I volunteer regularly with the kids who have been diagnosed, taking them to football games and on camps and retreats etc.

Perhaps most importantly, one of the boys in the team was diagnosed very young, at 14. Out of the 15 in the team, 12 of us were best mates growing up in highschool, so to see him go through this, and have to catch the 2 hour train every month to go down and visit him, was heartbreaking. There were some dark days, of course. CanTeen stepped in, and paid for a bus to drive from our school to see Andrew every month, as well as organising the Sydney Swans AFL side to come visit him with us, his favourite team.

Now Andrew is healthy again (and a massive pest), he is playing soccer with us. So over the past 3 years, we have used our collective abilities to raise money for CanTeen as a massive thank you for how much they have helped all of us as youngins, so that they can do the same. Our team wouldnt be so close if we didn't have that organisation to help us all through it when Andrew was at his sickest.

All you have to do is go to this link http://www.facebook.com/wildturkeyau/app_262113317210349 and like the wild turkey australia page. Then you have to go down to where it says "register now" (make sure you are on the "New Lambton Football Club" page, not someone elses) and register.

It does ask for a postcode, so if yours doesnt work and it needs an overseas one, just do 2000, which is Sydney City. The team with the most votes wins 10 thousand dollars.

We have already raised 3 thousand this year, and have another two events to come. We are going to donate half of our 10 thousand dollar wild turkey win to CanTeen, plus all our raisings, we should be able to hand them a cheque for more than 10 thousand. So please help out.

Any issues, just ask and I will address them.

Thank you guys, this is why I love the Fulham Family.

valdeingruo

Great cause, everyone should help them out.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

CorkedHat

I'll be doing it Michael - and I'll ask a couple of  Australian Fulham fans who are not Foffers to do the same. Good Luck and Well Done  :54:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

michaelread

thank you guys, the support means a lot! The money will go a long way for us and for the little club we play for.

fyi, we had another charity event a week ago, and raised another $1000 for CanTeen and kids living with cancer in themselves or family members, bringing our grand total to over $3000 so far. Very proud! The money from wild turkey would be a just reward for the lads, who have worked so hard this year on top of their other commitments.

in footballing news, we're 4th from 8. But a certain fof poster by the name of Michaelread is leading goalscorer  :54:  oztralian

domprague

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.