watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hangeland yet to be offered a new deal

Started by NorthernWhite, May 24, 2012, 06:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernWhite

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/5/24/3040346/hangeland-yet-to-be-offered-new-deal-by-fulham

Hangeland yet to be offered new deal by Fulham 
by Northernwhite on May 23, 2012 10:38 PM PDT

Brede Hangeland has confirmed to Norwegian press that he has yet to be offered a new deal by Fulham even though his current contract expires next summer. He said he's relaxed about it and is sure Fulham will offer one soon but also that some people could see it as a benefit that their contract could expire.

I know we're trying to lower the age of the squad but Hangeland has been nothing short of fantastic for Fulham. Having a young squad is good but you still need experienced leaders on the pitch. With the possibility of Murphy going in he summer, Hangeland is the natural successor as captain.

Please Fulham, don't let all of the players walk away who are over 30, we still need experience to guide the youngsters so pull your finger out and get Danny and Brede signed up to new contracts.

Rupert

Given the professional manner in which the club has conducted these affairs ever since Macintosh took over as CEO, can we all try and show a little bit of faith in him?
I am willing to bet anything you like that he will not let the likes of Brede "walk away" unless or until Fulham no longer require his services, or until the player decides he does not want a new contract, when he will likely be sold, if possible.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

White Noise

Quote from: Rupert on May 24, 2012, 08:56:45 AM
Given the professional manner in which the club has conducted these affairs ever since Macintosh took over as CEO, can we all try and show a little bit of faith in him?
I am willing to bet anything you like that he will not let the likes of Brede "walk away" unless or until Fulham no longer require his services, or until the player decides he does not want a new contract, when he will likely be sold, if possible.

Sure. But don't you find it interesting that there have been so few contracts concluded? If you look back through the archives at when contracts were signed in the reign of AM then there has never been anything like the backlog we have now. Whether you have faith or not you must admit it creates a greater risk than would otherwise exist?

TonyGilroy

I think that's right but the urgent cases are Dembele, Dempsey, Murphy and Kelly.

The likelihood is that Dembele & Dempsey won't resign because they think that bigger clubs will be interested.

The need for Kelly is dependant partly on Grygera's fitness and the efforts we're making to recruit a right back. I can imagine a contract being on the table for Kelly but him wanting some assurances as to his first team prospects.

Murphy is the worrying one. I'd love him to continue for ever but we all know that the team needs to learn to play without him sooner or later. It may be about money but it could equally be about his likely first team future.

I don't doubt Mackintosh's competence and integrity and doubt that the club is trying to cut player costs unrealistically.

Rupert

Quote from: White Noise on May 24, 2012, 09:02:21 AM

Sure. But don't you find it interesting that there have been so few contracts concluded? If you look back through the archives at when contracts were signed in the reign of AM then there has never been anything like the backlog we have now. Whether you have faith or not you must admit it creates a greater risk than would otherwise exist?

What stage are all these talks at? Are players stalling, or are we on the verge of concluding many/most of the contracts, or are the club waiting to see what interest is shown in certain players by other clubs?

I'm not expecting you, or anyone else, to know the answer to any of this. From what I have read, the likes of Dempsey and Dembele may well want to see if anything else is on offer before signing up with us again, so it is possible that they are delaying things there. The likes of Brede and Danny seem to be pretty relaxed about ongoing discussions, perhaps the CEO has taken that into account, and is concentrating his efforts on the crown jewel players (Clint and Moussa again) before concluding the simple ones when everyone has come back from their holidays (I assume most of our lot are sunning themselves somewhere exotic right now and possibly don't want to talk contracts until June/July).
In short, there are all sorts of possible reasons why we are not getting any news, so until he lets us down I do have faith in the Chief Exec to run things properly.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

White Noise

Sure. You do if that you want to but I choose not to on this occassion.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: White Noise on May 24, 2012, 11:09:26 AM
Sure. You do if that you want to but I choose not to on this occassion.

What evidence do we have of Mackintosh screwing up crucial contract discussion/letting players go for no good reason when they still have something to offer?

We also must remember that most of the players went on holiday immediately or went straight to their national teams for friendlies/euro 2012.

It is still May, the CEO has yet to make a major misstep in his tenure, so I cant get overly worried about the situation.

White Noise

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I'm not hammering anyone at the club. Just think things look very different now in terms of the proximity of contract conclusions to anything being announced.

But as you say, lets wait until 1st September and make our judgements then.

White Noise

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/7775800/

Hangeland waiting for offer

Fulham defender has not yet been offered a new contract

By Kent Hedlundh.   Last Updated: May 24, 2012 2:05pm

Brede Hangeland: Fulham defender unconcerned over uncertain future

Brede Hangelande has not yet been offered a new contract by Fulham, despite only having a year to run on his current deal.

The Norway international moved to west London from FC Copenhagen for £2.5million in January 2008, and has made 206 appearances - including starting every league game in 2011/12.

But despite being unsure of his future, the defender insists he is not worried.

"I haven't been offered an extension yet," he said.

"I have played all matches for the club for the last four and a half years. I am not stressed, many would say it is an advantage."

Bassey the warrior

I'm not worried. I think it may be simply that the club are more focused on tying down Dempsey and Dembele and are confident Hangeland won't leave so he's not a high priority.

Mr_Moon

Aren't the majority of players and agents on holiday?

SmithyFFC

One of the priorities this summer surely has to be tying him down to a new long term deal. Irreplaceable in my opinion.
FTID

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Mr_Moon on May 24, 2012, 08:29:26 PM

Players yes, agents definitely not.

Mr_Moon

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 24, 2012, 09:27:47 PM

I did read that earlier, might have been about Tom Heaton.

finnster01

So how come Hangeland and Riise are working out in Olso right now and playing England on Saturday? Or are the agents playing for them too?  080.gif  
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

White Noise

Yes. And thats part of my point. Why give a hostage to fortune by waiting until players are back from their holidays before you sit down with them?

I am just intrigued by change in approach. It may mean absolutely nothing but for me its interesting that we are a) leaving things later into contract periods before discussing and/or nailing down b) leaving some discussions at least until the summer - which is a busy time for new player contracts and not one when we have traditionally extended existing contracts. It strikes me as possibly creating a situation where the players in question might feel a little less secure and it might unsettle their team mates to some degree as well. It may mean nothing but it may not always be perceived by players as meaning nothing. c) Giving priority to the discussion of younger players contracts over those older players.

Jol himself says it is a gamble -

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Transfer-gossip-Fulham-not-rushing-to-re-sign-Danny-Murphy-gambling-few-other-clubs-will-want-35-year-old-free-agent-article887006.html

and on one level I admire Jol's confidence is his ability to keep the players he wants. Its just not how I would do it and I think it is perhaps too risky - but thats just one mans opinion folks! :59:

Jol said a couple of months ago they they were hoping to speak to Dembele's agents shortly. Previously I think we would have entered into talks earlier with a player like Dembele and I don't really understand why we haven't.

On the plus side Fulham fans seem much more relaxed about the possible departures of Dempsey and Dembele than they were 6 months ago.

Over the next three months we will see how persuasive Alistair Mackintosh can be and how much pulling power Jol has for existing players and new ones. They may well play a blinder and keep all the good ones, get rid of the weaker ones and buy in some exciting newbies. I just get the sense they have made it harder for themselves than it perhaps needed to be.

HatterDon

actually, the majority of European players are at EURO2012, and there's a whole lost of World Cup qualifying in Asia and North and South America this summer.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel