News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Some very sad news, FOF's 'lakey' has died...

Started by LBNo11, May 25, 2012, 09:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...I am saddened to have to break this news, but lifetime Fulham fan and devoted husband Ron Lake 'lakey' lost his battle with cancer yesterday at midday. Although not a frequent poster he was an avid reader of Friends Of Fulham and kept up to date on all things Fulham through WhiteJC and WhiteNoise's updates and through the various other posts was able to get feel he was amongst the Fulham fans that geography and cost and infirmity denied him.

I only met him a couple of times, and he loved Fulham with a passion, his boundless enthusiasm for the sport and Fulham was infectious and his support for the Johnny Haynes statue and even for FOF was evident.

He had tickets for the Hamburg Europa final just when he had been diagnosed with the illness and treatment meant he could not go, he entrusted me to use/sell/pass on the tickets to any Fulham fan at the final who did not have tickets, and as fortune would have it Airfix found a buyer.

A lovely man who I am very privileged to have known, I will miss his e-mails, and as mentioned before, enthusiasm and encouragement and happiness in the face of adversity.

My sincere condolences to his lovely wife Sue and family, RIP 'lakey', watching from the celestial stands forever...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

White Noise

Thanks for letting us know LBNo11. That is very sad news.

He came across on here as so very cheerful and ethusiastic a person and his love of Fulham - old and new - was an inspiration. His joy at Fulham reaching the Europa final was huge so it is a great shame to hear that he couldn't be there.

I strongly got the impression that lakey was one of life's genuine gentlemen and there are far too few of them about for us to be losing one. He seemed to embody all that is best about Fulham and its supporters & I will miss him on here.

Thoughts and condolences to Sue and all the family.

Peabody

How sad. He was of my generation. Oh dear! RIP Lakey

mrska

Sad News..  sounds like a lovely generous man...  my thoughts are with his family... RIP Lakey x

Supermitch

I don't think I knew him, but always sad to hear news like this of the Fulham family.

Sincere condolences to family and friends.

Blingo

Sad news, condolences to his wife and family. May he watch us from the cottage in the sky.

Lighthouse

My sincere condolences to his family. I only know of him through the posts but he came over as a true gentleman and fan. God bless him and those left behind who knew him.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mr Fulham

CorkedHat

As I said on Facebook - That is so sad. Lakey and I had much in common when it came to following Fulham and I shall miss him. RIP
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

WhiteJC

very sad news, condolences to his wife and family

finnster01

Very sad to hear one of our very own in the FoF family has passed.

My sincere and humble condolences to the family.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Walsh

RidgeRider

Thanks for letting us know LB. I'd wondered what had happened to him. What a sad day for his friends and family and for us here on the board.

RIP Lakey.

Steve_orino

May he Rest In Peace.

From my family, our sincerest condolences to his family.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

SteveM

I never met Ron Lake but bought his Hamburg tickets for use by me and my brother when he was unable to go because of the illness. I e-mailed him afterwards and received a cheerfully optimistic reply from Mrs Lake. Judging by that and by the responses of those who knew them he will be a real loss to his friends and family.

SouthfieldWhite

As others have said, very sad news, although I didn't know him, I always think we are one big family so very sad when we hear news of a fellow  Fulham fan has died

Condolences to his wife and family

R I P Lakey

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Very sad news,RIP Lakey,my very sincerest condolences to his friends and family.

FatFreddysCat

I havent met him , but condolenges go out to his family.
RIP from the Fred and Fulham family. Lets hope its a very long time untill the next Fofer departs to the great Cottage in the sky.

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: SteveM on May 25, 2012, 03:48:37 PM
I never met Ron Lake but bought his Hamburg tickets for use by me and my brother when he was unable to go because of the illness. I e-mailed him afterwards and received a cheerfully optimistic reply from Mrs Lake. Judging by that and by the responses of those who knew them he will be a real loss to his friends and family.
Thanks for passing this on Steve, always nice to hear that someone has let someone know that their good fortune is appreciated. I'm sure Lakey would've been chuffed to hear his tickets went to a good home. RIP Lakey and may fond memories comfort those you leave behind.