News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Very surprised how many empty seats Sheff Utd have.

Started by FatFreddysCat, May 26, 2012, 05:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

When i was a kid Sheffutd always seemed to bring about 3-4000 to the cottage, big crowds at home etc. I've always thought they had a bigger fanbase than us as one of only two teams sharing a reasonable sized city but they have loads of empty seats. Surely if fulham reached a cup final we'd sell out, or would we?

Burt

Agree. Even their semi at Bramall Lane wasn't sold out. Something strange going on...

If we got to the FA Cup Final I am sure we would sell out, because each side get allocated such a small amount with the rest going on corporates and flunkies.

HatterDon

United sold 28,000 tickets / Huddersfield sold 23,000. That's pretty good for a couple of L1 sides. There were 52,000+ at Wembley today. Contrast that with the usual attendance at Wigan or Bolton.

Nothing that either team should be concerned about in terms of support.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: HatterDon on May 26, 2012, 06:22:44 PM
United sold 28,000 tickets / Huddersfield sold 23,000. That's pretty good for a couple of L1 sides. There were 52,000+ at Wembley today. Contrast that with the usual attendance at Wigan or Bolton.

Nothing that either team should be concerned about in terms of support.
28,000 for a one off game for promotion for what i thought was a quite big club is very poor in my eyes, let's not forget they probably have a few thousand fans living in london to start with. you'll notice i didn't mention huddersfield had more empty seats as i know they aren't nearly as big as the Sheffield club. As a side issue my second ever game i watched involved Sheff Utd at Brentford it was 4-3 or 3-4 i think and a great game, i very nearly supported Brentford because of it   :doh: . Oh someone had a heart attack near me and died and i played the uber futeristic game of Space Invaders for the first time in a pub by the ground. Luckily for me Rufus's dad took me to Fulham v brighton very soon after that and i was hooked on mostly really crap football for years.

LRCN

HatterDon

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 26, 2012, 07:28:42 PM
Quote from: ~lork on May 26, 2012, 06:45:49 PM
luton sold 32k to put it in perspective
Oh dont HD will be unstoppable now  :015: .  Ok Luton is a very short , very easy journey to Wembley, but they are very much a smaller club than Sheffield Utd, and for the benefit of our overseas supporters it must be said that a very very very large percentage of the town is Islamic and you dont see many of them at games. So if luton can muster up 32,000 i'm amazed Sheff utd managed so few.

that was a special case. Luton had just been doomed to non-league football by the FA and the football league. They were finalists for the Johnstone Paint Trophy and wanted to use the occasion to stick their thumb in the eye of those two "august bodies." Their opponents returned a portion of their allocation to boost Luton's share.

Had Luton NOT been screwed and had Luton's fans NOT been filled with both rage and outrage, I think the club might have sent 10-15,000 on the day.

It's a poor comparison, but I take your point. I just wonder if any of the Luton supporters were told it would cost them 6k to bring in a flag.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Ron Sheepskin

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 26, 2012, 05:28:24 PM
When i was a kid Sheffutd always seemed to bring about 3-4000 to the cottage, big crowds at home etc. I've always thought they had a bigger fanbase than us as one of only two teams sharing a reasonable sized city but they have loads of empty seats. Surely if fulham reached a cup final we'd sell out, or would we?

To be fair Fred, when you were a kid more of the Sheffield fans probably had jobs than do now. It's gotta be a bleeding expensive day out if you're on your uppers, and I can understand why some would save themselves a ton or more and watch it in the pub.

Of course, I might be wrong and their fan base just buggered off to Rotherham during the Dave Bassett years.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

The Bronsons

There was a crash on the M1 and lots of people were held up. On the radio they were were speculating the kick-off might be delayed - but then it went ahead at 3pm. Maybe some never made it?

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: The Bronsons on May 26, 2012, 10:50:09 PM
There was a crash on the M1 and lots of people were held up. On the radio they were were speculating the kick-off might be delayed - but then it went ahead at 3pm. Maybe some never made it?
That would explain a lot. Still not up to our Iceland volcano standards in anouther country though.

Burt

Good of Grayson to give credit to Lee Clark afterwards - "he put the team together, I just finished the job" type of comment.

Mr_Moon

The crash on the M1 is sort of irrelevant. Being Wembley/The FA, ticket prices were a farce (think £51 and £88) but then again, most clubs have had those prices before. Their fans have no faith in the side to go out and win. Since Evans was sent down they've been dire, more so than they were before and they blew a 5 point lead with 3 games to go for automatic. Take into consideration their appalling record in Playoff finals and the interest just wasn't there from their fans.

Putting being nice aside, they had only sold 27,000 by Thursday and it was even pay on the day. Their 2nd leg home semi final vs Stevenage was a complete joke. 21,000 attendance at £13 a ticket! They bleat on about being as big as Wednesday but Wednesday's support is far better. 43,000 for the playoff final against Hartlepool and one of the best away supports in the land.

I wish I could find the photo of the Sheff Utd away contingent at Barnsley last season. It was Fulham esque, rattling about in a big stand.

Proper tinpot club. Everything about them is horrible.