Main Menu

Jordan Rhodes Decision This Week

Started by White Noise, May 27, 2012, 04:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EJL

Quote from: os5889 on May 28, 2012, 09:06:13 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on May 28, 2012, 07:40:28 PM
Quote from: os5889 on May 28, 2012, 07:31:58 PM
After the play off final issue I dont want him here.

A few seasons back, I watched with joy as Jon Spector. who was then earning his money from West Ham, took an opposing winger apart. After much frustration, the opposing manager switched the winger to the other side of the pitch, and let his withdrawn forward run the left. Spector pretty much stuck the second guy into his back pocket as well.

Now this is an American defender who can't even get a regular start with the US national team, and who now makes his living at Birmingham City. With that resume for Spector, I suppose it's appropriate to dismiss the winger and the withdrawn forward as not good enough to ever play for us.

Their names were Christiano Renaldo and Wayne Rooney. Was Spector better than both? Than either? No way.

But, if you judge those two by that ONE match ... .

Technically he is very good, it his character and temperament I question. He did not take a penalty in the league 1 play off final until sudden death. Despite 40 goals and being the clubs talisman he didn't feel up to it.

He's going to love Wigan away in deepest darkest November,
I'd imagine while in League 1 you'd get a lot worse on a dark November day.

Terry Angus

A few seasons back, I watched with joy as Jon Spector. who was then earning his money from West Ham, took an opposing winger apart. After much frustration, the opposing manager switched the winger to the other side of the pitch, and let his withdrawn forward run the left. Spector pretty much stuck the second guy into his back pocket as well.

Now this is an American defender who can't even get a regular start with the US national team, and who now makes his living at Birmingham City. With that resume for Spector, I suppose it's appropriate to dismiss the winger and the withdrawn forward as not good enough to ever play for us.

Their names were Christiano Renaldo and Wayne Rooney. Was Spector better than both? Than either? No way.

Technically he is very good, it his character and temperament I question. He did not take a penalty in the league 1 play off final until sudden death. Despite 40 goals and being the clubs talisman he didn't feel up to it.

In fairness Ronaldo (the proper Ronaldo) absolutely bottled a world cup final but I can't say I'd have minded us paying £5m for him that Autumn. Plus, yeah, agree with the point that if Rhodes has been banging them in at places like Carlisle and Scunthorpe, he ain't gonna be the biggest fairy in our team when stood between of Ruiz and Dembele/Narsingh/Chadli at Wigan away

EJL

Quote from: Terry Angus on May 28, 2012, 11:27:07 PM

In fairness Ronaldo (the proper Ronaldo) absolutely bottled a world cup final but I can't say I'd have minded us paying £5m for him that Autumn. Plus, yeah, agree with the point that if Rhodes has been banging them in at places like Carlisle and Scunthorpe, he ain't gonna be the biggest fairy in our team when stood between of Ruiz and Dembele/Narsingh/Chadli at Wigan away
Ronaldo had a seizure the night before the final. Of course he wasn't going to be able to perform anywhere near the best of his ability.

Terry Angus

Quote from: EJL on May 28, 2012, 11:31:57 PM
Quote from: Terry Angus on May 28, 2012, 11:27:07 PM

Ronaldo had a seizure the night before the final. Of course he wasn't going to be able to perform anywhere near the best of his ability.
a seizure/massive panic attack brought on by the pressure, no? either way, point is a good player who messes up on a big occassion could still be a good player for us... particularly as a fulham match is very very rarely a big occasion!

in fairness i do think they're both fairies anyway bc i got absolutely ruined the night before a 5-a-side tournament a few weeks ago and still played ace on the day

Mr Fulham

Maybe he just didn't feel confident? Footballers are like that, they are no machines. You often have that. Lothar Matthäus was Germany's main penalty taker at World Cup 1990, but he didn't have 'that certain feeling' in the final, so Andi Brehme did the penalty kick instead.

I think it's rather a positive sign when a player says 'ok lads, this is not my day, I don't feel that confident today'. He could've done an Arjen Robben in saying 'wtf do I care whether I'm confident or not, I'll shoot'. But Robben missed some vital penalties of late.

For me, the decision not to take a penalty in the shoot-out despite being a 40-goal striker shows some true greatness.

TonyGilroy

We're still making an assumption that we're interested in Rhodes. Press talk could be well wide of the mark.

I reckon our scouting staff are proficient enough to know who they should go for. If they've identified Rhodes it won't be in the hope that just maybe he can make the step up - they'll be confident that he can. They'll have chosen him above all other targets which is why I'm sceptical that he's on our radar at all.

If we want him though we'll have to pay the price. I really don't get the notion that posters on a forum are in a position to say that the maximum fee should be (insert amount) and not a penny more.

craig10

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 29, 2012, 08:02:26 AM
If we want him though we'll have to pay the price. I really don't get the notion that posters on a forum are in a position to say that the maximum fee should be (insert amount) and not a penny more.

I appreciate we have no decision in how much we pay for the lad as the money isn't coming out of our pocket however lot of football is based on oppinion and this is just peoples oppinion, football wouldn't be the same If we all agreed with each other, all the clubs and all the managers

And it is MY oppinion that if my club has 15m to spend (just a number plucked out of the air I haven't asked the owner)
Then I would rather not pay 8m or anywhere near that for Jordan Rhodes. However if they do, I hope I eat my words and he scored 41 goals in the prem

TonyGilroy

I've no problem with others having opinions but mine is that it's nonsense to pretend that we have all the financial information necessary to make informed choices.

Apart from anything else the fee is only part of the cost and the cost is only part of the budget.

Berserker

It's near the end of the week soon, so has any decisions been made as predicted yet?
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

TWFL

Don't think so but he was playing for Scottish U21's tonight in Bulgaria so expect a decision soonish I guess.

He scored two goals in that match by the way which meant he broke the record for the U21s goalscoring record for Scotland.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: TWFL on June 01, 2012, 12:20:40 AM
Don't think so but he was playing for Scottish U21's tonight in Bulgaria so expect a decision soonish I guess.

He scored two goals in that match by the way which meant he broke the record for the U21s goalscoring record for Scotland.

No other Scot has ever scored two in a game?

Remarkable.

TWFL

Quote from: TonyGilroy on June 01, 2012, 07:25:28 AM
Quote from: TWFL on June 01, 2012, 12:20:40 AM

No other Scot has ever scored two in a game?

Remarkable.
At the U21 level he broke the record of goals scored in consecutive games by scoring 8 in 8 games.
Apologies not very clear first time around.

LukeJennings

I have watched him 5 times over the last 3 seasons v Yeovil Town home and away and he really only once impressed me, he's ability to score that's all I could see, he obviously has ability otherwise he wouldn't score 40 but he does seem a bit of a poacher to me, whether he'd cut it at fulham hm I'm not so sure
Twitter; @lukealele

My YouTube channel - http://m.youtube.com/user/LukeJennings9

Please subscribe!

MasterHaynes

Well his performance in the play off seems to have frightened everyone away especially with the price they are demanding. There is not even the slightest sniff of a rumour concerning Rhodes at the end of the week when it was going to get sorted.
Bet Huddersfield regret rejecting our offer and being greedy holding out for a silly amount, Rodriguez at Burnley is only going for £8m, a proven goalscorer in the Championship over a few seasons not just one.
If Rhodes flops in the championship next season they will really be shafted.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: MasterHaynes on June 01, 2012, 01:07:30 PM
Well his performance in the play off seems to have frightened everyone away especially with the price they are demanding. There is not even the slightest sniff of a rumour concerning Rhodes at the end of the week when it was going to get sorted.
Bet Huddersfield regret rejecting our offer and being greedy holding out for a silly amount, Rodriguez at Burnley is only going for £8m, a proven goalscorer in the Championship over a few seasons not just one.
fp.gif

Walsh

Quote from: MasterHaynes on June 01, 2012, 01:07:30 PM

Rhodes > Rodriguez.

Walsh

Berserker

Yes i think the Euro's is the key to all the delay's
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.