watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

England vs USA 1994

Started by YankeeJim, May 28, 2012, 10:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

Since today is a national holiday & I've nothing to do until later, I watched a replay of this match at Wembley. Alan Shearer had a first half brace and  made Alexi Lalas look terrible. England easily out classed us Yanks. The reason for this topic is that every time the big, red headed Lalas touched the ball the fans booed him. Why would English fans have a thing about Lalas?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

EJL

Perhaps it's the same reason fans boo goalkeepers in the Premier League - no reason at all.

bill taylors apprentice

He scored the winner against England in 93 i think and was a bit cocky and big mouthed, maybe it was that?

YankeeJim

Good as reason as any. I know that after the 1994 Cup he did a year in Italy. I thought perhaps he snubbed some English team.

leonffc

Quote from: EJL on May 28, 2012, 10:22:25 PM
Perhaps it's the same reason fans boo goalkeepers in the Premier League - no reason at all.

Do they?

Ive quite often seen an opposition GK being applauded when he came out for the second half (at many clubs).

HatterDon

You need to find the USA v. England at Wembley match from 92 -- I think. It features a very young goalkeeper with a ton of flowing blonde hair. His name was Brad Freidel.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

It was 1994 and yes, the lad at the back had a fine head of hair. He was the only one that the British commentators complemented. They said he go for big bucks to a Euro side. When I turned the game on I expected to see Tony Meola between the sticks. I wondered for a bit who the keeper was.  :011:

EJL

Quote from: leonffc on May 28, 2012, 10:54:22 PM

Do they?

Ive quite often seen an opposition GK being applauded when he came out for the second half (at many clubs).
I'm not saying they do it all the time.

leonffc

Quote from: EJL on May 28, 2012, 11:10:51 PM

Do they?

Do you mean when they are about to take a goal kick and the fans go 'ooooooooooooooooooooooooh (as he's preparing to run up) youre poo. Aaaaaaaaaaaaarg'?

Thats just banter - usually.

HatterDon

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 28, 2012, 11:09:43 PM
It was 1994 and yes, the lad at the back had a fine head of hair. He was the only one that the British commentators complemented. They said he go for big bucks to a Euro side. When I turned the game on I expected to see Tony Meola between the sticks. I wondered for a bit who the keeper was.  :011:

The guy who replaced him was jurgen Sommer, who was earning his living with Luton, then in the second tier.

EJL

Quote from: leonffc on May 28, 2012, 11:19:05 PM
Quote from: EJL on May 28, 2012, 11:10:51 PM

Do they?

Do you mean when they are about to take a goal kick and the fans go 'ooooooooooooooooooooooooh (as he's preparing to run up) youre sh1t. Aaaaaaaaaaaaarg'?

Thats just banter - usually.
I wasn't talking about Fulham in particular :) We don't boo anyone ever really ... unless they're Chelsea or Barton

HatterDon

The only time I've ever heard barracking of keepers is when they're time wasting ... and it's well deserved then.

Alan

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 28, 2012, 10:46:40 PM
Good as reason as any. I know that after the 1994 Cup he did a year in Italy. I thought perhaps he snubbed some English team.

But wasn't this game in Feb '94?
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

CorkedHat

Do they?

I remember being at Anfield in the sixties when somehow Fulham managed a 1-1 draw. We should have been 4-1 down at half time but thanks to a super human effort by Tony Macedo we were still in with a shout. As a result, when Macedo came out for the second half, as he walked towards the Kop the crowd gave him the biggest ovation I have ever heard - and this was at a  time when Liverpool had the worst reputation for sportsmanship in the League
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

YankeeJim

Quote from: Alan on May 29, 2012, 05:17:34 AM
Quote from: YankeeJim on May 28, 2012, 10:46:40 PM

But wasn't this game in Feb '94?

September