watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (02/04/10)

Started by WhiteJC, April 02, 2010, 07:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/europa-league/blast-from-the-past-from-a-fulham-legend
Blast from the past from a Fulham legend
Fulham legend and record scorer hopes for another Cottage cracker

Fulham could do with a couple of goals lead to defend when they travel to Germany for next week's Europa League quarter final, second- leg against Wolfsburg.

Roy Hodgson's men host the Bumdesliga champions at Craven Cottage tonight and one person who knows a thing or two about scoring goals for the Cottagers is the club's record goalscorer Gordon Davies. He netted 178 goals for Fulham as well as winning 16 caps for Wales between 1979 and 1985.

Davies also wore the colours of Chelsea and Manchester City and he is, in fact, the only player to score a hat-trick both for and against Chelsea in a league match.

You must be looking forward to tonight's game?

Obviously the supporters will be up for it after the Juventus game and one thing the crowd will be hoping for is that we take a lead into the second leg. But I think the fans have to be a bit patient tonight as well because even a draw wouldn't be a bad result – but I fancy our chances against Wolfsburg so it should be a great night at the Cottage.

And the players should be full of confidence after the last two rounds?

Roy has said this week that since they have beaten sides of the stature of Shakhtar Donetsk and Juventus the players now actually believe they deserve to be at the quarter-final stage. The likes of Benfica, Liverpool and Sevilla are all in the other half of the draw so whoever wins this game should really fancy their chances of reaching the final. Fulham have a great chance of getting to the final if they get through against Wolfsburg.

And a Liverpool-Fulham final?

It would be very interesting and we would be the underdogs if both teams managed to get there. But if you get to a final it is a one-off game and there would be no pressure on the Fulham players. It was a shame we were drawn at home in the first leg against Wolfsburg because of what happened against Juventus in the second leg. But the crowd will be the 12th man, like they were against Juventus. If we can reproduce that it will be a cracking night and a cracking atmosphere.

You must be delighted with the form of Bobby Zamora this season?

When he came here we all looked at it and thought we've now got him and Andy Johnson so we'll be able to score the goals to help us stay in the Premiership. We could have sold Bobby in the summer to Hull but he decided to stay at the club and Roy has persevered with him. Once he started scoring goals he just got on a run and his confidence grew. He was doing a lot of work for his team-mates outside the box last season but wasn't scoring many goals. Now he's taking his chances.

There are rumours that Zamora is struggling with a flu virus?

I think they will all be busting a gut to be out there tonight. Yes, you want to be 100 per cent fit when you're playing, and he may be a bit under the weather, but I believe Bobby will start the game tonight.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6069365,00.html
McCarthy backs Hodgson
Wolves boss defends Fulham tactics
Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has backed Fulham manager Roy Hodgson's decision to rest his key players against Hull.

Hodgson has come under fire for fielding a weakened team in Fulham's 2-0 defeat to Hull at the KC Stadium last weekend.

He could face a similar fate to McCarthy who was penalised by the Football Association after resting 10 of his first-team players in the defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford earlier in the season.

Fellow strugglers West Ham are set to make a formal complaint against Hodgson who left out a number of first-team members in preparation for his side's upcoming Europa League quarter-final tie with Wolfsburg.

McCarthy, though, has gone against the Hammers, saying he has no problem whatsoever with Hodgson's decision.

No problem
"I haven't got a problem with it. I am not bothered what team they played," said McCarthy.

"It is just something that the high and mighty, who tend to look at their own teams, don't like when it is happening,"

The majority of McCarthy's so-called 'second string' beat West Ham at Upton Park last month and the Wolves boss believes that result proves that making changes to your squad does not mean you are sacrificing a game.

"It is about making the most of your squad and utilising your squad to the best of their abilities," he said. "That is what I did and that is what Roy did.

"Fulham are still in Europe, so good luck to them. They are probably safe with the points they have got and don't forget we have still got them to play this season.

"But good luck to Roy and if it means he wins that Europa League then I will be thrilled for him. He has had a great season.

"If they have still got anything to play for when they play us and want to play a weakened team against me I will be delighted."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1262938/West-Ham-unlikely-succeed-legal-protest-Fulhams-team-selection-Hull.html?ITO=1490
West Ham unlikely to succeed with legal protest against Fulham's team selection at Hull

West Ham's planned protest to the Premier League over Fulham's team selection against Hull City is unlikely to succeed.

The club were considering a complaint after Roy Hodgson made six changes for last Saturday's match which Fulham lost 2-0.

Wolves were given a £25,000 suspended fine for making 10 changes against Manchester United, but the League would need further evidence to substantiate West Ham's claims that Fulham broke the rules.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1262938/West-Ham-unlikely-succeed-legal-protest-Fulhams-team-selection-Hull.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0jvC3okCL

WhiteJC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=764926&sec=uefaeuropaleague&cc=5739
FULHAM 2-1 WOLFSBURG
Hodgson: We made Wolfsburg look ordinary

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson claimed his side made Wolfsburg looked "reasonably ordinary'' after the the west Londoners won their Europa League quarter-final first leg tie 2-1 at Craven Cottage.

The hosts dominated for long periods and were rewarded with two goals in a four-minute spell in the second half.

Bobby Zamora expertly fired home the first from outside the area after 59 minutes before setting up Damien Duff for the second.

And while German champions Wolfsburg grabbed an away goal two minutes from the end, when Alexander Madlung headed in from a worked corner, Hodgson was full of praise for his side.

"Wolfsburg are a good team, they are champions of Germany. They have many good players, but tonight I thought we made them look reasonably ordinary,'' he told ESPN.

"We were certainly good value for our 2-0 lead, but of course a little bit of nervousness creeps in. A 2-0 lead is a little bit of a dangerous one, and we stopped playing a little the way we had been and let them into the game that little bit more.

"Unfortunately it led to a corner and their goal. But we have got to be happy that the European adventure continues at Craven Cottage and we have claimed another notable scalp.''

Duff described the concession as the late goal as "sloppy'', with Madlung unmarked six yards out to score, but believes the Cottagers can book a place in the semi-final in the second leg next Thursday.

"After the second goal we took our foot off the pedal and got a bit sloppy,'' the Republic of Ireland international said.

"They nicked the away goal which can be crucial, but we always back ourselves to score a goal over there. It's not a bad result and we can look forward to next Thursday.''

Hodgson added later in the press conference: "I don't know if we are favourites; we relinquished the chance to be favourites at 2-1. We go there with the lead and we need a draw or a victory. And we did enough to show we can cause them plenty of problems when we attack.

"I thought we played very well and were close, at the end of the game, to a famous 2-0 victory.

"The late goal, I suppose to some extent, has put a slight dampener on the performance but it shouldn't really because if before you offered me a victory in the game and to play well I would have accepted any score so I am not going to allow a last minute goal to dampen my enthusiasm for the game, and my belief in the players and the desire to work hard and deny the German champions.''

Hodgson, meanwhile, hit out at West Ham's decision to make a complaint about Fulham fielding a weakened side against Hull last weekend.

"Firstly I don't think West Ham should be picking our team and I think that is a fairly obvious statement,'' said Hodgson. "If there is a complaint but my conscience is perfectly clear on the subject and we don't have a case to answer.

"If I had said we chose a team comprising a player just sold £10m and a player replaced with a South African international, and replacing Bobby Zamora with Clint Dempsey, a USA international, I can't understand why you can't change things.''

Hodgson admits that Zamora has significantly improved his game since last season, when he found the net only four times.

"The thing with Bobby now is that he is not just scoring goals against anyone, he is doing it against international class opponents,'' said Hodgson.

"Wolfsburg were worthy champions last year and after a dodgy start they have lost once in eight after knocking Villarreal out of the Europa League.

"Before that they'd gone seven unbeaten they are on a very good run and for Bobby to play well in the Europa League against teams of the character of Roma, Juventus, Basel, Shakhtar Donetsk and now Wolfsburg, it would be unfair for people to say he only does it in the Premier League.''

WhiteJC

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/chester-sport/national-sport/2010/04/01/fulham-claim-slim-advantage-59067-26160345/
Fulham claim slim advantage
Fulham moved one step closer to a fairytale Europa League semi-final after they recorded a 2-1 win over German champions Wolfsburg at Craven Cottage.

A match bereft of goalmouth action was sparked into life halfway through the second half courtesy of goals from Bobby Zamora and Damien Duff.

The Cottagers looked set for a two goal victory margin before Alexander Madlung rose to beat Mark Schwarzer just before the death to leave the tie finely poised going into next week's second leg in Germany.

Zoltan Gera had Fulham's first effort on target but his low 30-yard shot was easily saved by Diego Benaglio.

Duff then raced towards the Wolfsburg goal and beat three defenders before laying the ball off to Clint Dempsey but Fulham's match-winner against Juve could not hit the target.

Grafite shot tamely at Schwarzer after beating the offside trap, much to the annoyance of the vocal Wolfsburg fans near Schwarzer's goal.

Zamora then struck for the 18th time this season to put the home side ahead with a superb curling effort. The former Spurs hitman took advantage of the space given to him by Marcel Schafer to place a precise left-footed curler past Benaglio.

Zamora, who has been at odds with the Fulham fans on more than one occasion this season, chose to celebrate in a controversial fashion by cupping his ear with his hand towards the home fans.

Duff then doubled Fulham's lead four minutes later after picking up the ball off Zamora in the box to coolly slot past Benaglio.

Roy Hodgson looked to shore up his side's defences by introducing Chris Baird for Danny Murphy, who came off to a standing ovation from the home fans. The move failed to stifle the Germans' attack and Wolfsburg put themselves well and truly back in the tie when Madlung rose to beat Schwarzer from a Zvjezdan Misimovic cross near the end.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6069779,00.html
Hodgson salutes Fulham heroes
Cottagers boss delighted to have continued European adventure

Roy Hodgson was full of praise for his Fulham side after seeing them put in another star showing in Europe.

The Cottagers beat German champions Wolfsburg 2-1 at Craven Cottage on Thursday in the first leg of their Europa League quarter-final.

The Premier League side have already seen off reigning champions Shakhtar Donetsk and Italian giants Juventus in this season's competition, with a remarkable adventure unfolding on the banks of the Thames.

Victory over Wolfsburg served to write another chapter in their European fairytale, with Hodgson of the opinion that Fulham were full value for the win.

They did concede a late away goal to give the Germans hope, but they will head to the Volkswagen Arena next week holding the upper hand.

"Wolfsburg are a good team, they are champions of Germany. They have many good players, but tonight I thought we made them look reasonably ordinary," said Hodgson.

"We were certainly good value for our 2-0 lead, but of course a little bit of nervousness creeps in.

Dangerous
"A 2-0 lead is a little bit of a dangerous one, and we stopped playing a little the way we had been and let them into the game that little bit more.

"Unfortunately it led to a corner and their goal.

"But we have got to be happy that the European adventure continues at Craven Cottage and we have claimed another notable scalp."

Irish winger Damien Duff grabbed what proved to be the decisive goal on the night, with Bobby Zamora having opened the scoring and Alexander Madlung wrapping it up.

He admits Fulham are disappointed to have allowed their opponents a route back into the game, but is confident Hodgson's men can take a positive result from the return meeting and book their place in the last four.

"After the second goal we took our foot off the pedal and got a bit sloppy," the Republic of Ireland international said.

"They nicked the away goal which can be crucial, but we always back ourselves to score a goal over there. It's not a bad result and we can look forward to next Thursday."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/WolfsburgHomeReaction.aspx
Roy's Reaction

Speaking after Thursday evening's victory over German Champions Wolfsburg at Craven Cottage, Roy Hodgson gave his post-match assessment:

"Wolfsburg are a good team, they are champions of Germany. They have many good players, but tonight I thought we made them look reasonably ordinary," he said.

"We were certainly good value for our 2-0 lead, but of course a little bit of nervousness creeps in.

"A 2-0 lead is a little bit of a dangerous one, and we stopped playing a little the way we had been and let them into the game that little bit more.

"Unfortunately it led to a corner and their goal.  But we have got to be happy that the European adventure continues at Craven Cottage and we have claimed another notable scalp."

Bobby Zamora continued his fine season by netting Fulham's opening goal and setting up Damien Duff's strike – and Hodgson was full of praise for his player.

"The thing with Bobby now is that he is not just scoring goals against anyone, he is doing it against international class opponents," said the Fulham Manager.

"Wolfsburg were worthy champions last year and after a dodgy start they have lost once in eight after knocking Villarreal out of the Europa League.

"Before that they'd gone seven unbeaten they are on a very good run and for Bobby to play well in the Europa League against teams of the character of Roma, Juventus, Basel, Shakhtar Donetsk and now Wolfsburg, it would be unfair for people to say he only does it in the Premier League."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/WolfsburgHomeReaction.aspx#ixzz0jvDyvLsS

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/DempseyWolfsburgHomeReaction.aspx
Dempsey Happy with Wolfsburg Win

Clint Dempsey was upbeat at the end of 90 minutes on Thursday evening, despite the late away goal that took the edge off what would have otherwise been a commanding first leg victory in the UEFA Europa League quarter-final.

"A win's a win," he said. "We've given ourselves a great chance going into the second leg and that's the most important thing."

Alexander Madlung's 89th minute header gave the German side a lifeline in the tie, but the significant thing as far as Fulham are concerned is that we have our noses in front, and the American playmaker believes that he and his team-mates did enough to demonstrate their credentials for progression to the semi-finals.

"It's too early tell which way it will go - that's why you play two legs, but we're in a good position, we're happy to have got the win, so now we just have to play well when we go to Wolfsburg.

"But I thought we played really well tonight. I thought we moved the ball well, had most of the possession and created more chances. I didn't know what to expect going into the game but I was happy with the way we played and hopefully we can carry that style with us to Wolfsburg next week."

Before next Thursday's second leg, however, the Whites return to Premier League action on Sunday when they host Wigan Athletic at Craven Cottage, presenting an opportunity to put an end to a run of three consecutive league defeats, and climb back into the top half of the table.

"We want to get as many points as we can and finish as high up the table as possible," assessed Dempsey. "We've got to continue the positive home form we've had this season so hopefully we can do that and get the points we need."

Although the US international says he isn't preoccupied with passing the much-vaunted 40-point threshold which a win on Sunday would achieve.

"People talk about reaching 40 points, but I think you've got to aim as high as you can. We've still got a few games left and we want to get as many points as possible to finish as high as possible, it's as simple as that."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/DempseyWolfsburgHomeReaction.aspx#ixzz0jvELoBwf

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/0910/EuropaLeague/WolfsburgHome.aspx
Fulham 2 Wolfsburg 1

This UEFA Europa League Quarter-Final first leg got off to a cagey start with both sides looking evenly matched in the opening exchanges. The threat posed by Wolfsburg's strike duo of Grafite and Edin Dzeko was evident early on as the pair looked sharp in possession.

Fulham soon settled into the game and built a number of promising attacks in wide positions, with Damien Duff and Simon Davies on the Fulham right flank the chief architects. They were soon joined by Paul Konchesky who, as the first-half went on, started to venture forward with greater confidence down the left.

Making his Europa League return following suspension, Danny Murphy was back in central midfield pulling the strings. However Mark Schwarzer was called upon to make the first save of the game when Christian Gentner managed to squeeze an effort through Fulham's back line on 20 minutes.

Zoltan Gera then forced Wolfsburg keeper Diego Benaglio into an awkward looking stop a minute later when he hit a wicked swerving effort that momentarily wrong-footed the keeper.

Fulham started to turn up the pressure and Clint Dempsey warmed Benaglio's palms with a well-struck 20-yard effort which the keeper could only parry wide. Another good Fulham opportunity soon presented itself when Bobby Zamora cut the ball back in the penalty area only for the pass to narrowly miss its intended target.

Grafite wildly blazed over on 32 minutes after seizing on a loose ball 18 yards out. The German Champions certainly had attacking intentions but their final ball frequently let them down.

As the first-half drew to a close there were bursts of applause for the excellent work being carried out by Zoltan Gera in defence. Twice the Fulham front man dispossessed his opponents deep in Fulham territory – whilst being able to still threaten as an attacking force.

Edin Dzeko headed wide early in the second-half after finding himself unmarked in the Fulham penalty area. Another chance followed for Wolfsburg soon after when Grafite hit a shot straight at Mark Schwarzer, which the Fulham keeper did well to hold on to.

Fulham appeared to ride out the initial storm and struck back when Dempsey got on the end of a Fulham passing move only to see his shot blocked by a desperate lunge. Fulham were starting to fight fire with fire as their attacks struck ever deeper into Wolfsburg territory. And that was in large part due to three outstanding pieces of defending from Aaron Hughes, who was pivotal in snuffing out a number of Wolfsburg attacks.

Fulham took the lead through who else than Bobby Zamora on 59 minutes. Zoltan Gera played a penetrating pass to Zamora in an advanced position. Zamora took the ball down, shifted back inside two defenders before curling an exquisite finish past Benaglio on 59 minutes.

Zamora turned provider minutes later when he set up Damien Duff for Fulham's second goal of the evening. The in-form striker touched the ball back to Duff who smashed a low shot into the net from the edge of the area, sending the Fulham fans wild.

Sitting on a two-goal advantage, Fulham dropped the pace of the game as the game entered the final 20 minutes. Wolfsburg introduced a familiar face on 73 minutes when Obafemi Martins came on for Peter Pekarik.

Danny Murphy was replaced by Chris Baird on 86 minutes as Roy Hodgson looked to add some fresh legs to his hard-working midfield unit.

Wolfsburg turned up the pressure late on and netted a vital away goal when Alexander Madlung headed firmly home from six yards from a short corner to set up an enticing second-leg in Germany.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/0910/EuropaLeague/WolfsburgHome.aspx#ixzz0jvEnm3aK

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8600267.stm
Roy Hodgson praises dominant Fulham

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson felt his side were the dominant force in their 2-1 Europa League quarter-final first leg win over Wolfsburg on Thursday.

At 2-0, Fulham had control of the tie but Wolfsburg's late away goal makes for a tough second leg on 8 April.

"Wolfsburg are a good team. They have many good players, but I thought we made them look reasonably ordinary," Hodgson told ESPN.

"The European adventure continues and we have claimed another notable scalp."

Fulham dominated long periods of Thursday's first leg and deserved their victory, which extends their unbeaten European record at Craven Cottage.

Two goals in four second half minutes from Bobby Zamora and Damien Duff had seemingly given them a healthy lead to take to the Volkswagen Arena but Alexander Madlung's late header gives Wolfsburg a strong foothold in the tie.

"I don't know if we are favourites; we relinquished the chance to be favourites at 2-1," said Hodgson.
"I thought we played very well and were close, at the end of the game, to a famous 2-0 victory.

"The late goal, I suppose to some extent, has put a slight dampener on the performance but it shouldn't really because if before you offered me a victory in the game and to play well I would have accepted any score.

"I am not going to allow a last minute goal to dampen my enthusiasm for the game, and my belief in the players and the desire to work hard and deny the German champions."

During this season's Europa League campaign Fulham have already knocked out holders Shakhtar Donetsk and favourites Juventus.

While Thursday's game did not match these earlier matches for atmosphere or performance it did again showcase Fulham's ability to compete on the European stage.

Zamora outshone Wolfsburg's much-lauded strike-pairing of Edin Dzeko and Grafite, firstly curling in a superb opening goal and then teeing up Duff to fire in the second.

Hodgson admitted that the striker, who has 18 goals to his name this season, has significantly improved his game since last season.

"The thing with Bobby now is that he is not just scoring goals against anyone, he is doing it against international class opponents," said Hodgson.

"Before that they'd gone seven unbeaten they are on a very good run and for Bobby to play well in the Europa League against teams of the character of Roma, Juventus, Basel, Shakhtar Donetsk and now Wolfsburg, it would be unfair for people to say he only does it in the Premier League."

Winger Duff admitted that the concession of the late away goal was "sloppy" but that the side should travel to Germany confident of finishing off the job.

"After the second goal we took our foot off the pedal and got a bit sloppy," said the Republic of Ireland international.

"They nicked the away goal which can be crucial, but we always back ourselves to score a goal over there. It's not a bad result and we can look forward to next Thursday."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/duff-positive-fulham-can-reach-europa-semis-741661
Duff positive Fulham can reach Europa semis
Damien Duff has full confidence that Fulham can reach the semi-finals of the Europa League after edging past Wolfsburg 2-1 in the quarter-final first leg.

The Cottagers had control of the match until the final minute when Alexander Madlung scored from close range to take some gloss off the earlier goals netted by Duff and Bobby Zamora but the Republic of Ireland international says it could be enough to get them into the final four of the competition.

"After the second goal we took our foot off the pedal and got a bit sloppy," the Republic of Ireland international said.

"They nicked the away goal which can be crucial, but we always back ourselves to score a goal over there. It's not a bad result and we can look forward to next Thursday (return leg in Germany)."

WhiteJC

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01042010/58/europa-league-advantage-fulham-narrow-win.html
Europa League - Advantage Fulham after narrow win
A clinical performance in front of goal saw Fulham run out 2-1 winners over Wolfsburg in their Europa League clash at Craven Cottage, but Roy Hodgson's side will rue conceding a late goal to give the German champions hope going into the second leg in two weeks' time.

Goals from Bobby Zamora and Damien Duff gave the home side a 2-0 lead, but in the last 10 minutes Fulham looked tired in their 53rd game of the season and conceded a late goal when Alexander Madlung headed in a corner just 90 seconds from time.

Wolfsburg started the match the brighter side, with Simon Davies - who had been pressed into service at right back - being forced to make a clearing header early on with Edin Dzeko lurking with menace.

Dzeko again threatened for the visitors when he pulled away from Brede Hangeland and was picked out fellow Bosnian Zvjezdan Misimovic, only to see the striker snatch at his shot and put it some distance wide.

The home side were limited to shots from distance for much of the opening period, with Clint Dempsey coming closest to beating Diego Benaglio in the Wolfsburg goal, the keeper parrying the American's shot away for a corner at full stretch.

Towards the end of the half, however, they began to penetrate the Wolfsburg defence, with Duff teeing up Dempsey for another crack at goal only to see the shot pulled wide of the near post.

The game burst into life in the second as Wolfsburg threatened the Fulham goal a number of times, with Dzeko putting a free header wide and Grafite firing straight at Mark Schwarzer after going through on goal.

Grafite fluffed another chance soon after and Fulham punished their profligacy when they took the lead just past the hour mark as Zamora latched onto Zoltan Gera's pass and curled a shot into the bottom left hand corner.

That goal was shortly followed by a second as Paul Konchesky fizzed a cross into Zamora's feet, with Fulham's top scorer controlling well and setting up Duff to slot home from 12-yards.

The home side doubled their lead just two minutes later when Konchesky fizzed a first time pass into the feet of Zamora, who controlled well and then rolled the ball into the path of Duff, who slotted home from 12-yards.

Fulham appeared to tire as the game went on and Wolfsburg again had chances to reduce the deficit, but poor finishing from Grafite cost them once again: the Brazilian failed to make Danny Murphy pay for a lax back pass when he shanked a shot wide with Dzeko well placed.

The German side finally got the goal they deserved however, with just 90 seconds of normal time remaining. Misimovic took a quick corner and whipped in a dangerous cross from the left, with Madlung leaping clear of the unprepared defence to power a header past the stranded Schwarzer.

With their tails up Wolfsburg pressed forward for an equaliser, but a tired Fulham hung on and will take a narrow lead into the second leg at the Volkswagen Arena.

Jamie Nazareth / Eurosport

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/129030/Fulham-s-Bobby-Zamora-and-Damien-Duff-keep-Wolfsburg-from-win/
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/129030/Fulham-s-Bobby-Zamora-and-Damien-Duff-keep-Wolfsburg-from-win/

Fulham 2 Wolfsburg 1

Fulham will have to do it the hard way again to keep their European dream alive.

Roy Hodgson's side were cruising to a comprehensive win with two brilliant goals in four second-half minutes
Bobby Zamora had produced a ­dazzling display to help rip Wolfsburg apart.

But right at the end Fulham were hit with a sucker punch as the German champions gave themselves an all-­important quarter-final lifeline.

Alexander Madlung climbed above the home defence in the 89th minute to emphatically head home from six yards out.

It was exactly what boss Hodgson did not want as now the tie is still in the balance.

But considering what they have ­already done to Juventus and Shakhtar Donetsk this season in the Europa League, Fulham will be confident they can finish the job off in Germany in next week's second leg.

Hodgson said: "I thought we played very well and were close to a ­famous 2-0 victory.

"Though a late goal has put a slight dampener on the performance it shouldn't really.

"Wolfsburg are a good team, they are champions of Germany. They have many good players but tonight I thought we made them look ­reasonably ordinary.

"We have got to be happy the ­European adventure continues and we have claimed another notable scalp."

Craven Cottage was rocking again until that late goal as Zamora must have given England manager Fabio Capello another nudge as he scored one and set up the other for Damien Duff.

The Cottagers had been under-par for almost an hour but then Zamora struck.

Zoltan Gera swept a ball into the 29-year-old hitman's feet.

He ran straight at the Wolfsburg ­defence before almost passing the ball into the corner of the net with the help of a slight deflection off a defender.

It was his 18th goal of what has been a fantastic season.

The night got even better in the 63rd minute when Duff struck.

Again Fulham's player of the season Zamora was at the heart of it.

Hodgson's side ripped Wolfsburg apart with a great counter-attack.

Paul Konchesky sprinted down the left to cross for Zamora, who held the ball up superbly inside the area.

He then laid it perfectly into the path of Duff and the Irishman only had to steer the ball home for Craven Cottage to explode.

It was ironic because, at the start of the second half, Hodgson's men had been twice let off the hook.

First of all Edin Dzeko headed wide when he was left completely unmarked after evading Brede Hangeland.

Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer could only stand and watch, but thankfully the ball went past the post.

Then Brazilian Grafite was clean through on goal with only Schwarzer to beat.

But he wastefully shot straight at Fulham's Australian keeper.

There was massive expectation on Fulham's shoulders after their magnificent victory over Juventus.

By rights they should not even be in this round but their stunning 4-1 home win over the Italian giants saw them through on an electric night.

Wolfsburg had crashed into the ­Europa League after ­disappointing in the Champions League. But while stunning the likes of Bayern Munich last season to win the Bundesliga, they have struggled this season and are ninth in their league.

Mind you, that is still two places above Fulham in the Premier League – but ­Hodgson's side have shown an appetite for Europe this season.

It was just a shame they took so long to get going last night.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/166756/Roy-Hodgson-can-rest-his-case-for-Fulham/
ROY HODGSON CAN REST HIS CASE FOR FULHAM
Fulham 2, Wolfsburg 1

FOR all the rumbling discontent about Roy Hodgson's team selection by West Ham, round here the man can do no wrong.

Just days after resting six players for the trip to Hull, his judgment was vindicated in Europe.

Goals from two of those players – Bobby Zamora with his 18th strike of the season and Damien Duff – will allow Hodgson's side to take a slender advantage to Lower Saxony next Thursday, after Wolfsburg followed Juventus and Shakhtar Donetsk as slain European giants here at Craven Cottage.

Alexander Madlung's late goal ensured the second leg of this quarter-final will not be easy. But with his leading men in this sort of form, Hodgson will consider his side have one foot in the last four of a competition that could redefine his time as a manager in England.

After beating Juventus at home in the middle of last month, Fulham lost their next three Premier League fixtures. Indeed, the thrilling victory over the Italians was their only win in nine matches in a run stretching back to mid-February.

West Ham complained bitterly and – if reports circulating over the last couple of days are to be believed – officially about Hodgson resting key players in one of those defeats, at Hull on Saturday.

Well, they can complain all they like. Hodgson's rotation policy was entirely understandable. This was, after all, not the second round of the Carling Cup.

After the madness of the 4-1 win against Juventus, Hodgson had predicted a tight game last night against a team who, despite a miserable domestic campaign that leaves them ninth in their league table, remain until May 8 at least Bundesliga champions.

The early stages were predictably cautious with both sides looking for openings and weaknesses and finding none. After 20 minutes, the first jabs were landed with Mark Schwarzer safely gathering an effort from Christian Gentner that took a deflection off Brede Hangeland and Zoltan Gera having a speculative hit from 25 yards that Diego Benaglio smothered, if a little unconvincingly.

Perhaps encouraged by the Swiss goalkeeper's apparent nerves, Clint Dempsey again tried from distance just after the hour and a minute later Zamora lashed another effort across the goal only for Benaglio to parry it out into the danger zone, where it was cleared by a grateful team-mate.

Chances were few and far between but what little there were started to go Fulham's way as the half wore on. Zamora and Dickson Etuhu both headed over and Clint Dempsey struck a shot wide after good work from Duff presented the best chance on the stroke of half-time.

Wolfsburg emerged after the break much livelier and Edin Dzeko should have put them ahead just five minutes in when meeting a cross from Marcel Schafer unmarked eight yards out only to plant his header well wide.

It was the tonic the game needed though, with both sides seemingly sensing the possibility of a lead to take to Germany next week. With the match starting to fizz, Grafite forced a good stop from Schwarzer with a shot outside the box one minute later.

Then Demspey responded with a goalbound effort blocked at the other end shortly after. Shooting from distance, whilst a valid tactic, was proving a manageable threat at both ends. Or it was until the ball fell to Zamora.

With the hour up, Gera hit a long ball crossfield with the outside of his right boot and Zamora gathered it just outside the box. Duff took Schafer off him with a blind-side run, the striker jinked away from Andrea Barzagli and curled the ball inside the far post.

Four minutes later, Fulham extended the lead and Zamora was again the pivot. It was Gera again who found Konchesky racing down the left flank but his centre was gathered and protected by Zamora.

Shielding the ball from Barzagli again, his lay-off to the edge of the area was slotted home by Duff.

Wolfsburg pulled one back with a bullet header after a short corner routine from the right, leaving Schwarzer no chance. But Fulham have every chance of progressing.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/04/02/fulham-are-suffering-from-fatigue-says-bobby-zamora-82029-26160785/
Fulham are suffering from fatigue, says Bobby Zamora

BOBBY Zamora admits Fulham's Europa League campaign is starting to take its toll.

Last night's 2-1 victory over Wolfsburg was Roy Hodgson's side 15th European match this season, and 52nd in all competitions, with a fatigued Fulham conceding late on to leave their quarter-final on a knife edge heading into next week's second leg.

"I think it's starting to hit us," admitted the former West Ham forward.

"You can see with them as well when they played Berlin the other week they lost 5-1. It's hard, but we go into these games and dig in.

"We're pleased we're here, and wouldn't change that for the world."

Zamora's 18th goal of the season and a Damien Duff effort after the break looked like giving the hosts a healthy lead to take to Germany, only for Alexander Madlung to hand Wolfsburg a lifeline in the dying seconds.

But Zamora insists Fulham are still in a good position to seal a spot in the semi-finals.

He added: "We're not worried, but it was disappointing to give that goal away right at the end. We're in a good position, and we would've taken that."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-boss-hodgson-delighted-zamora-euro-performance-742081
Fulham boss Hodgson delighted with Zamora Euro performance
Fulham boss Roy Hodgson was delighted with the performance of Bobby Zamora after last night's 2-1 win over Wolfsburg.

Zamora won his battle with illness to make the Cottagers' starting XI against the German side and opened the scoring with a well-taken finish in the second half before setting up Duff for Fulham's second.

The former Spurs hitman has scored 18 goals now this season, including strikes against Juventus, Shakhtar Donetsk and FC Basle in Europe.

Hodgson admits the striker has significantly improved his game since last season, when he found the net only four times.

"The thing with Bobby now is that he is not just scoring goals against anyone, he is doing it against international class opponents," said Hodgson. "Wolfsburg were worthy champions last year and after a dodgy start they have lost once in eight after knocking Villarreal out of the Europa League.

WhiteJC

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/fulham-men-have-edge-over-wolfsburg-14752867.html
Fulham men have edge over Wolfsburg

Fulham 2 Wolfsburg 1

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson claimed his side made Wolfsburg looked "reasonably ordinary" after the west Londoners won their Europa League quarter-final first leg tie 2-1 at Craven Cottage last night.

The hosts dominated for long periods and were rewarded with two goals in a four-minute spell in the second half.

Bobby Zamora expertly fired home the first from outside the area after 59 minutes before setting up Damien Duff for the second.

And while German champions Wolfsburg grabbed an away goal two minutes from the end, when Alexander Madlung headed in from a worked corner, Hodgson was full of praise for his side.

"Wolfsburg are a good team, they are champions of Germany. They have many good players, but I thought we made them look reasonably ordinary," he said.

"Unfortunately it led to a corner and their goal.

"But we have got to be happy that the European adventure continues at Craven Cottage and we have claimed another notable scalp."

Duff described the concession as the late goal as "sloppy", with Madlung unmarked six yards out to score, but believes the Cottagers can book a place in the semi-final in the second leg next Thursday.

Zamora's 18th goal of the season was followed by a controversial cupped-ear celebration aimed at the home fans before the striker played in Duff for Fulham's second.

The Cottagers looked set for a two goal victory margin before Madlung rose to beat Mark Schwarzer just before the death to leave the tie finely poised going into next week's second leg.

Zamora had been a doubt after being sent home from training with a cold but he made a starting XI that included six changes from Saturday's defeat at Hull.

Duff, Northern Ireland captain Aaron Hughes, Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu and Clint Dempsey also came in for the Cottagers.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/fulham-men-have-edge-over-wolfsburg-14752867.html#ixzz0jvJjIU76

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/duff-strike-puts-fulham-in-pole-position-2122312.html
Duff strike puts Fulham in pole position
FULHAM'S grand European tour will move on to Germany next week, to Wolfsburg, and the home of Volkswagen, with Roy Hodgson's side in the driving seat.

Two second-half goals gave them the advantage in the first-leg of this Europa League quarter-final before they were deflated, a little, by a late goal from Wolfsburg. They will need to battle hard in the away leg to go through, but the chance is there.

Hodgson had highlighted the potency of Wolfsburg's forward players and it was the trickery of Edin Dzeko and Grafite which caught the eye.

However, the first shot on target came from Christian Gentner following an intricate build-up, but Mark Schwarzer caught the ball easily.

Fulham quickly hit back with Zoltan Gera trying his luck from distance and Dempsey unleashing a dipping effort.

Back came Wolfsburg with Dzeko barrelling through only for the ball to break to Grafite but he ballooned the ball over the bar.

On the stroke of half-time a rapid break saw Bobby Zamora cleverly free Duff, who sprinted infield before teeing up Dempsey, who swept his shot wide. Again he could have done better as chances remained at a premium.

But that was nothing compared to Dzeko's miss, with a free header seven yards out in which he miscued his shot after Brede Hangeland had mis-judged Gentner's cross.

Then it was Fulham's turn to threaten with Dempsey denied by Diego Benaglio's legs.

Both sides were committed to attack and it was Zamora who claimed the breakthrough. It owed much to a raking pass by Gera, and even more to a selfless over-lapping run from Duff, which distracted Zamora's marker, Andrea Barzagli. Zamora took his cue and took the space to curl a wonderful low left-footed shot into the net.

The dam burst. Fulham poured forward with Zamora alertly holding up Paul Konchesky's centre until Duff arrived to unerringly beat Benaglio with a side-footed drive.

But it would all change with an away goal and Dzeko almost provided in reaching a dipping cross. It flew wide.

The Bosnian then completely missed with an attempted close-range header before Schwarzer held Obafemi Martins's dangerous shot as Wolfsburg threw on strikers. The pressure told and Alexander Madlung powerfully headed home from a late corner. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

- FULHAM 2 wolfsburg 1 Jason Burt

Irish Independent

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7545652/Fulham-v-Wigan-Athletic-match-preview.html
Fulham v Wigan Athletic: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between on Fulham and Wigan Athletic at Craven Cottage on Sunday, April 4 2010, kick-off 15.00 GMT.

Fulham resume domestic duties after four Premier League games without a win and three straight defeats, and in that four game spell they have managed just one goal. Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Bobby Zamora, who all missed the 2-0 defeat at Hull, should feature.

Wigan, though, have lost five of their last seven League games and will be without Gary Caldwell, who is banned after being sent off at Manchester City on Monday. They also test Emmerson Boyce and Chris Kirkland, who both missed the 3-0 loss at Eastlands.

This season: Wigan 1 Fulham 1.

Last season: Fulham 2 Wigan 0, Wigan 0 Fulham 0.

Fulham (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky; Duff, Murphy, Etuhu, Davies; Gera; Zamora.

Wigan (4-3-3): Kirkland; Melchiot, Scharner, Bramble, Figueroa; Diame, Thomas, N'Zogbia; McCarthy, Moreno, Rodallega.

Referee: Mark Clattenburg. Matches: 25. R5. Y69.

Stat of the game: Fulham have not won at Wigan in the League since September 1992.

Betting tip: Europe could take its toll; 1-0 to Wigan (at 15-2).

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/02/roy-hodgson-fulham-wolfsburg
Fulham made Wolfsburg look ordinary in Europa League, says Roy Hodgson
• Fulham manager happy to have taken another European scalp
• Says 'nervousness crept in' after Fulham took a 2-0 lead

Roy Hodgson said his Fulham side had made Wolfsburg look "reasonably ordinary" after the west Londoners won their Europa League quarter-final first-leg tie 2-1 at Craven Cottage last night.

The hosts dominated for long periods and were rewarded with two goals in a four-minute spell in the second half. Bobby Zamora fired home the first from outside the area before setting up Damien Duff for the second.

The German champions scored an away goal two minutes from the end, when Alexander Madlung headed in from a worked corner, but Hodgson was full of praise for his side.

"Wolfsburg are a good team, they are champions of Germany. They have many good players, but tonight I thought we made them look reasonably ordinary," he told ESPN. "We were certainly good value for our 2-0 lead, but of course a little bit of nervousness creeps in.

"A 2-0 lead is a little bit of a dangerous one and we stopped playing a little the way we had been and let them into the game that little bit more.

"Unfortunately it led to a corner and their goal. But we have got to be happy that the European adventure continues at Craven Cottage and we have claimed another notable scalp."

Duff called the late goal "sloppy" but said Fulham could book a place in the semi-finals in the second leg, next Thursday.

"After the second goal we took our foot off the pedal and got a bit sloppy," the Republic of Ireland international said. "They nicked the away goal, which can be crucial, but we always back ourselves to score a goal over there. It's not a bad result and we can look forward to next Thursday."