watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Final Bow For The Duffer

Started by White Noise, June 09, 2012, 07:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/255806/Euro-2012-Damien-Duff-s-final-fling/

EURO 2012: DAMIEN DUFF'S FINAL FLING

9th June 2012

By Paul Brown

DAMIEN DUFF admits this could be the final push for the veterans in a Dad's Army Republic of Ireland squad.

But the Fulham winger, who once made headlines for taking a bow, plans to bow out in style if this is his last chance to shine on the international stage.

Duff, 33, has waited 10 years to play tournament football with the Irish, who last qualified for a major finals at World Cup 2002 in Japan and Korea.

Back then, he played in every game as they reached the knockout stage – and became a star in the Far East by celebrating his goal against Saudi Arabia with an oriental bow.

Duff is working on a new celebration as he and seven other 30-somethings in Giovanni Trapattoni's squad prepare for the opener against Croatia.

But if Ireland escape from a group also including Spain and Italy, it will be his biggest achievement in football, and he could mark it by reaching a century of caps for his country.

Duff, who is on 97, said: "It means more than it did 10 years ago. You don't know how many tournaments you have left.

"A few of us are in our 30s now and I suppose we are on the home straight. This could be our last tournament, so you have to savour it really.

"It's as big as ever. You can't help but get excited about it. It's been a long wait since 2002 for everybody, not just the players but the fans as well.

"Do I have a new celebration? I don't know what they do to say 'Hello' or 'Thank you' in Poland – I'll have to Google it.

"I don't know if teams here are underestimating us. That would benefit us if they do. But we have massive belief."

Under Trapattoni, Ireland have gone 14 games unbeaten and conceded just three goals. It may not be pretty, but it works.

Duff added: "We can be a bit tighter all round. It's a nice run and we hope we can keep it going.

"Croatia are a top team and have been there or thereabouts for as long as I can remember."

Luka Modric will pull the strings for Slaven Bilic's Croats.

The Tottenham midfield star said: "Our goal is to get out of the group stage and then anything is possible.

"I believe we will defeat Ireland. It's our most important match in the group.

"If we win it, then I believe we will reach the knockout phase. It will not be easy, but I hope we will."