News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What does the current run of teen signings say about Fulham's plans?

Started by ToodlesMcToot, June 18, 2012, 03:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

It seems to me (maybe I'm exagerating a bit) that we have been signing some new teen wunderkid from the lower leagues about once every three weeks or so and doing it for months now.

In my relative short time supporting the club, I can't recall any period where we signed this many and so frequently.

What I'm wondering is what this implies to anyone who's paid attention for longer than I have.

a) Is it preparation for the eventual implementation of FFP rules and intended as an income resource for the club (signing and selling on) to fund dealings in the transfer market? We haven't really done much of that in the past, at least not in my recollection.

b) Are we taking a more proactive approach to finding and developing talent for our first team b/c we feel we'll be constrained by FFP in the transfer market?

c) Am I overthinking (we've always signed kids at this rate and I've just now become aware of it)?

I've just noticed many more stories about youth signings and was wondering if anyone else had seen it as unusual for us.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

fulhaman

That we are going to make money by devloping players, on big contracts and selling when price is high with a few years off playing for us. We will also keep on getting players with experience and this money from the yough can only make us better as a club

The King

It is the masterplan started by Hodgson carried out by Elias to make Fulham the best club in the world.

jarv

Academies....I have seen a study which shows the following:

1. Get a player through to the first team, if sustained saves a lot on (initially) wages and secondly not going to the transfer market to buy in.

2. Sell on, if not good enough for premier, then still good enough for lower divisions. Many years ago, Scottish clubs would survive on selling on to English. One good player to English football would keep a Scottish club going for a year. eg..Alan Hansen, Partick to Liverpool. Steve Nicol, Ayr to Liverpool, Joe Jordan, Morton to Leeds. Academies can be self funding if run correctly.

3. The Fulham academy director was poached from Southampton I believe. (Bale, Walcott brought in a lot of money).
Let's hope we see some of that soon.

ToodlesMcToot

While I can appreciate that my question might not have made it obvious, I understand the economics of signing academy players.

What i was more curious about and hopeful of my insight into was the timing. IIRC, FFP rules are coming to the PL season after next (possibly the next season). I was wondering if someone with more knowledge of Fulham might know if the current "flurry" of signings might be related to that event.

I did not realize that we had a new academy director, which certainly explains a different approach.

I apologize if my question(s) was unclear.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me