watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Pog - Let's be honest

Started by Admin, June 19, 2012, 12:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Did Fulham really want him? I think the answer was no. He was a last minute stop gap to replace Zamora, after another target fell through right at the last minute.

Fair enough he had a good start, most players do when they want to impress but he wasn't the answer really was he. For a start, he had and awful first touch and for a big guy, he was very easily pushed off the ball.

When he had to play games as the lone striker, he did nothing but run around like a headless chicken and games like Everton, United and Spurs away all spring to mind, plus Sunderland at home. If you ask me, we've been here before with this type of player and he's not Jol's type.

If Reading think they can get a good return on the suposidly £45-65K wages being offered for a 28 year old striker then let them go ahead.

Thanks for everything Pog and best of luck, we've got big fish to fry.

AlFayedsChequebook

I wouldn't be quite so dismissive of him.

He came in and did a job but obviously we decided he was not worth the money he wanted.

He could have done a decent job as a back up striker here, but I have no qualms at him leaving because I am convinced that Fulham are in capable hands and have a plan which will be executed over the summer.

MasterHaynes

In the right formation he will be lethal (Maybe playing alongside AJ at QPR?) but I don't think he would continue to be as prolific playing in a Fulham team that need him to be so much more than a player that can attack the ball in the box

Bassey the warrior

There's a bitter tone to this thread. I think used in the right way he can be very effective. He isn't a target man and he was treated like one. The wages quoted are way too much though.

Berserker

I would have liked him to stay but obviously we couldn't afford, plus didn't want to pay what he demanded
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

LBNo11

...to be fair he was only here a relatively short while and he made a major contribution to our goals for just when we needed it.

He may lack finesse and style but has just begun to adjust to the English game and pace, and if served by a conventional wingers crosses he could be a real handful, and he has that quality that nobody can dismiss, he "knows where the goal is".

Now what are the bookies odds on the Pog scoring against us..?

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Admin

Quote from: The Moose on June 19, 2012, 12:57:05 PM
There's a bitter tone to this thread. I think used in the right way he can be very effective. He isn't a target man and he was treated like one. The wages quoted are way too much though.
[/quote

I'm far from bitter, I'm just a realist when it comes to football. He wasn't the answer and I'm not bothered about him going to Reading. We'll replace with better for the money.

NorthernWhite

I wasn't overly bothered either way about him signing. Yes, he started brilliantly but after that, he dropped off and wasn't a target man like BZ who would offer the team a lot, even when he wasn't scoring.

For 20K good business 35K+, not good.

We've known AJ was off for some time and probably knew that the Pog wouldn't sign on the terms we've offered so I assume we've got plenty of targets lined up. No new striker by mid July though and I will be getting worried.

jarv

His goals took Fulham rapidly from relegation scrap to comfortable mid-table. I, for one, very grateful for that. However, beyond that he always looked to be lacking. The German league is open, fast and often use wingers. He didn't score there which is probably a good indication of his shortcomings.
best of luck Pog but don't score against Fulham. :dft003:

*changed midfield for mid-table*

Me-ate-Live, innit??

We couldn't even pronounce his name ..............................now we won't have to, that's a result 

HatterDon

On the one hand, he was probably Jol's 4th or 5th choice in January, and only signed because Jol was terrified that we'd get nobody to replace Zamora. He is moderately talented and may, as has been said, be quite serviceable under the right scheme, but Jol's style doesn't play to his strength. We can do without him -- providing we can sign two or three strikers more in the Jol mold -- especially for the amount of funny money he's going to be paid at Reading [evidently].

On the other hand, I SPENT TWO MONTHS LEARNING TO SPELL HIS BLEEDIN' NAME.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

timmyg

The issue with Pogs was what once defenses learned how to play him (i.e., after a few games), he was toast.

In the beginning defenders marked him tight, yet he was always able to find some open space/wiggle room to tap in several goals. His ability as a poacher is sublime.

But defenses' wised up to this. They realized it was best to initially play off him and position themselves to purposefully let him receive the ball. Then go in for the tackle to force the turnover as his holding skills are substandard. The Everton game was a prime example of this.

I think the only reason he played as much as he did was because we really had no other options up front.

Thank him for his service, but I think we can do better.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

NogoodBoyo

I think I agree with timmyg.  Distinct lack of pace and poor ball control found him out too.  But, he was great while he lasted.
Nogood "now pog off, isit" Boyo

Ron Sheepskin

It does look like Pog has joined the ranks of those January forwards that didn't quite manage it. Off the top of my head there's Montella, Okaka, Gudjohnson and Kakuta.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.