more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (21/06/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 21, 2012, 04:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chairboys to welcome Cottagers

Wycombe Wanderers will play host to Premier League side Fulham as clubs start preparing for the new season with pre-season friendlies.

The game on Saturday, July 28 will kick-off at 3pm and is the first of two home fixtures for Gary Waddock's men - with Brentford set to visit Adams Park on August 7 - as they prepare for life back in League Two.

Fulham finished an impressive ninth in the Barclays Premier League last season with USA international Clint Dempsey topping the scoring charts for the Londoners with 17 goals.

The last time the two sides met was in September 2006 when Wanderers beat Fulham 2-1 in the League Cup second round.

Meanwhile, Wycombe's pre-season friendly with Watford arranged for July 31 has been cancelled due to the clubs been drawn against each other in the first round of the Capital One Cup.

http://www.teamtalk.com/wycombe-wanderers/7830259/Chairboys-to-welcome-Cottagers?

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey – some stats and bar charts

In September 2007 Clint Dempsey latched onto a loose ball and steered it left-footed into the Wigan net. The away crowd, jubilant, sang of the scorer: "He scores with his left, he scores with his riiiiight, that boy Clint Dempsey, makes Drogba look [censored]".

And so it proved. Dempsey has now scored 50 times for Fulham (six against Wigan): 10 with his left; 25 with his riiiight, 12 with his head and, entirely summing the man up, three with 'other'.

Dempsey has gone from the underrated player quietly helping Fulham to a series of good seasons to someone expected to join a big team relatively soon.

The player is not shy about his ambitions: he's about as determined a person as has ever kicked a football, and if he can test himself against the best he wants to do that. If it doesn't happen he'll continue to do his thing for Fulham. So far, so fair enough. But how good is he? Are the recent improvements for real?

Few players seem to prosper after leaving Craven Cottage for what they think will be better things, but few players have been much like Clint Dempsey. He arrived in January 2007, purchased on the quiet by Chris Coleman to little fanfare. Excitement grew a little when we looked at his highlight reel on YouTube, which revealed a player who seemed to have a particular aptitude for anticipating where a ball might end up, then putting himself there, then diverting it into the net.  Such gifts are rare in football and perhaps suggested that we might have a player on our hands.

Trouble was, having spotted this rough diamond, Coleman didn't use it. Dempsey made a few substitute appearances, usually on the wing, and looked a bit disorientated. Only when Coleman was sacked and Lawrie Sanchez came in did Dempsey get regular pitch time, and indeed, he saved our season with a typically scuffed goal at home to Liverpool, his first for the club and probably the most important.

Sanchez used him as a centre-forward, but the club's next manager, Roy Hodgson, wasn't quite sure what to do with him, ultimately settling on a left wing cutting in type role that Dempsey took to surprisingly well.  In retrospect Dempsey may have felt his wings being clipped slightly by Hodgson's team-first approach, but equally it seems reasonable to assume that this was a key stage in the player's development, making him more rounded and aware, a better team player. The real lift off came when Mark Hughes took over from Hodgson and Fulham took the handbrake off slightly: Hughes clearly liked what he saw and Dempsey was pretty much the first name on the teamsheet. Martin Jol took over from Hughes and Dempsey didn't stop scoring. His goals sequence, in short:

That's where we are now.

But what's behind this improvement?

First, Dempsey seems to have stopped wasting his shots:

Over time he's dramatically decreased the proportion of shots that we might term 'not close' and at the same time put more on target.  This fits with what our eyes told us: Dempsey, like Cristiano Ronaldo, is never afraid to shoot, but under Hodgson seemed to learn to stop just blasting the thing whenever he felt like it. He has started to give the ball a welly again, but now the skills match the ambition and he's not just providing people at the back of the Hammersmith End with a souvenir.

(and if it's a souvenir you want, your best chance is just before half-time; half of Clint's shots in the 5 minutes before half-time are classified as 'not close' – after the break he's a lot more sensible).

These numbers perhaps reflect his roving around the pitch. Here's where he's taking his shots from by the same time periods:

Interesting how, in the last ten minutes, he finds himself shooting from the right a lot more. When the going gets tough, Clint gets moving.

I mentioned souvenirs at the back of the Hammersmith End, but really I should have talked about the corners. Here are the percentage of Dempsey's shots that we might classify as 'miles wide'.  Now, this is interesting in so far as there's a fairly well established trend below, which suddenly comes to an end last season, at which point the goals total increased dramatically. Is this a real technical improvement or a one-off fluke? Hard to say.

But these trends do more or less equate to the proportion of Dempsey's shots that have been from outside the box:

The two bars above aren't mutually exclusive: on the one hand we have shots from outside the box (red); on the other we have shots taken from a loooong way outside the box (blue). Calming down on the latter has been particularly helpful to him and to his team, although he did put 58% of long shots on target last season.

With experience and responsibility has come excellence. Dempsey has undoubtedly improved as a footballer, an improvement that has coincided with him being managed by more attacking managers (the assumption might be that in committing more players to attacks our opponents are spread more thinly and our forwards are getting better chances).  We've reached a point where Dempsey is on a par with Hangeland and Murphy as the team's most important players, and while Murphy devises Fulham's attacks, it is invariably Dempsey who determines whether or not they succeed. He's a big player now, and is surely good enough for a big team.

Other fun facts: Dempsey has taken 15 shots against Arsenal, with 10 being 'not close'. But against Chelsea 14 of his 19 shots have been on target.

Mousa Dembele has created a remarkable 22 chances for Dempsey in the last two years, and he's put 16 of these chances  on target. But none have gone in.

This year 41% of his goals came from shots hit low and to the left of the goal. That's 7 of Dempsey's 17 goals.

All this comes from data provided by OptaPro. These people live football, and work with a lot of Premier League teams, including Fulham. It was a thrill to be able to rummage around in their data.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/06/20/clint-dempsey-some-stats-and-bar-charts/?

WhiteJC

Fulham make Buttner move
Cottagers make bid for Vitesse defender, say Dutch reports

Alex Buttner: Thought to be subject of ¿2m offer from Fulham

Fulham have tabled a €2million (£1.6m) bid for Vitesse Arnhem left-back Alexander Buttner, according to reports in the Dutch media.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol is keen on the 23-year-old, who is also thought to be on the radar of Werder Bremen and Shakhtar Donetsk.
Buttner was in London this week for an initial introduction to the Premier League club, according to Dutch newspaper De Gelderlander.

His current deal in Arnhem expires next summer and the Cottagers are thought to be keen to tempt him away from the GelreDome.

The defender is a youth product at Vitesse and has notched up over 100 appearances since making his senior debut in 2008.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7830733/?

WhiteJC

QPR fighting Blackburn for signing of Murphy – report

QPR are in talks with Danny Murphy but face a fight with Blackburn for his signature, the Daily Mirror say.

The veteran midfielder, whose Fulham contract expires this summer, played under R's boss Mark Hughes when the Welshman was manager at Craven Cottage.

It is claimed that Murphy has spoken to relegated Rovers about joining them on a two-year deal but will move to Rangers if they match the Championship side's terms.

The Daily Mail report that Fulham have offered £1.6m for Vitesse Arnhem left-back Alexander Buttner, have also shown interest in Sevilla's Argentine centre-back Federico Fazio and remain keen on Huddersfield's Jordan Rhodes.

And the Daily Express say Fulham have turned down a £1m bid for teenager Kerim Frei from Turkish club Galatasaray, who are now planning to make a £2m offer.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/paper-talk/qpr-fighting-blackburn-for-signing-of-murphy-report/

WhiteJC

Fulham to offer Vitesse Arnhem £1.6m to secure the services of left-back Buttner

Fulham have offered £1.6million for Vitesse Arnhem left-back Alexander Buttner.

The 23-year-old was reportedly in London this week for a look round the club.

Fulham have also shown interest in Sevilla's Argentine centre back Federico Fazio and remain keen on Huddersfield striker Jordan Rhodes.

Fulham target: Buttner

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2162357/Fulham-offer-Vitesse-Arnhem-1-6m-Alexander-Buttner.html#ixzz1yObSU2kO

WhiteJC

FULHAM FEND OFF INTEREST FOR KERIM FREI

FULHAM have turned down a £1m bid for teenager Kerim Frei from Turkish team Galatasaray, who are now planning to make a £2m offer.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/327919?

WhiteJC

Fulham in talks for Sevilla defender Fazio

Fulham are in talks with Sevilla for defender Federico Fazio.

The talented Argentine, who has been watched by Manchester United and Arsenal in the past, is excited about the prospect of moving to London this summer.

Sources close to Sevilla say negotiations are running well and are close to being concluded.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-talks-sevilla-defender-fazio-3254731?utm_source=taxonomy_landing_page

WhiteJC

Desperate for Danny: Hughes lines up old pal Murphy for QPR

Midfielder's vast experience could be invaluable for Rangers at the start of next season as Joey Barton serves his 12-match suspension

Rangers or Rovers?: Murphy has a choice between QPR and Blackburn

QPR are in talks with Fulham midfield veteran Danny Murphy - but face a fight with Blackburn for his signature.

Former Craven Cottage Mark Hughes wants to bring his old skipper to Rangers from their west London neighbours.

The QPR chief has already landed old boys Andy Johnson from Fulham and Ryan Nelsen, who played for him at Blackburn, and now wants Murphy’s expertise and leadership - suspended Joey Barton will be absent for the first 12 games.

Murphy has also spoken to relegated Rovers about joining them on a two-year deal.

However, Rangers will get their man if they match the Championship side's terms as he will be able to stay in the London.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/qpr-want-danny-murphy-of-fulham-904626

Lighthouse

There has always been a significant deal of trust put in Matthew Briggs at Fulham. The full-back played only three league games in the 2010/11 season, but these were against Chelsea and Arsenal twice and in each game he was given a starting berth.

The 21-year-old has continued to establish himself at the Club under Martin Jol as he went on to make 15 appearances for the Whites last season, before moving to Peterborough United on loan.

The majority of Briggsy's outings came in European competition (he even managed a Goal of the Season contender against Crusaders) and so he was understandably disappointed that we couldn't progress beyond the group stages.

"Playing in the Europa League early in the season was good experience for me and a really good campaign to be involved in," Matthew told fulhamfc.com. "Obviously we didn't go as far as I hoped we would, and unfortunately we got knocked out of the League Cup and FA Cup, so I didn't get as many games as I would have liked.

"Those are the kind of competitions I have been playing in, so the longer we are in them the better for me. Unfortunately that wasn't the case this year but there is next season to look forward to now."

With a Manager at the helm who has shown faith in his young players on more than one occasion already, Briggs knows that he is likely to be given a chance if he shows the right attitude and commitment.

He acknowledges that he has one of Fulham's most consistent performers ahead of him in the pecking order, but is seeking to learn us much as he can from our current first choice left-back.

"John Arne Riise is a very experienced player," Briggs admitted. "He's been around for quite a while now and I've learned a lot from him about playing at left-back so he's a good role model for me. I get on very well with him off the pitch too so it can only help me having him here."

Like any player, Briggs wants to maximise his time spent on the pitch and while he enjoyed his spell at London Road in the 2011/12 campaign, it is SW6 where he really wants to be.

"I went out on loan for a couple of months, and it was a good experience for me at the time and good to get some minutes under my belt because I needed to go out and get some games," he explained. "Ideally, I'd prefer to stay here and fight for my place next season, and if an opportunity becomes available I want to try and take my chance.

"My target for next season is to definitely get some more Premier League games under my belt and do as well as I possibly can whenever I'm called upon."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/June/BriggsBreakthrough.aspx#ixzz1yQPJ7hmb
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

Fulham youngster: We must improve in the cup competitions

Matthew Briggs is targeting a long cup run for the Whites

Fulham youngster Matthew Briggs is targeting an improvement for the Whites in cup competitions as Martin Jol has preferred to give the 21-year-old a chance in these games.

The west Londoners went out of the League Cup at the third round stage as well as crashing out of the Europa League in the group stage.

Their FA Cup campaign fared little better with Fulham losing in the fourth round.

"Playing in the Europa League early in the season was good experience for me and a really good campaign to be involved in," he said.

"Obviously we didn't go as far as I hoped we would, and unfortunately we got knocked out of the League Cup and FA Cup, so I didn't get as many games as I would have liked.

"Those are the kind of competitions I have been playing in, so the longer we are in them the better for me. Unfortunately that wasn't the case this year but there is next season to look forward to now."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_youngster_we_must_improve_in_the_cup_competitions_1_1417122?

WhiteJC

Arsenal, Fulham, Manchester United, Spurs & West Ham target dreams of playing at a big European club

Transfer news: Burak Yilmaz wants to leave Trabzonspor

Trabzonspor striker Burak Yilmaz, who has been linked with Arsenal, Fulham, Lazio, Manchester United, Tottenham and West Ham, has admitted that he dreams of playing at a top European club.

The 26-year-old scored 32 Super Lig goals last season and believes his time in Turkey has come to an end.

"I dream of a big European club," Yilmaz said.

"I have talked with the technical staff and president Sener and I told them that my dream is to grow as a player.

"We talked for a long time and everything was calm, like a child turning to his father.

"We will soon know my future and I hope it will be a good club where I play, but I do say thanks to everyone at Trabzonspor."

The Turkish club's president Sadri Sener wants to complete any business quickly.

"We have a roadmap for this and we want this done," Sener said.

"Lazio, Tottenham and Fulham want him and we shall now see."

http://www.london24.com/sport/arsenal/arsenal_fulham_manchester_united_spurs_west_ham_target_dreams_of_playing_at_a_big_european_club_1_1417141?

WhiteJC

My memories of Danny Fullbrook
by DAN on JUNE 21, 2012

Fulham fan Danny Fullbrook, the Daily Star's chief football writer, passed away earlier this week

The news that Danny Fullbrook had lost his brave battle against cancer on Monday hit many people both in and outside football very hard. A measure of the esteem with which the passionate Daily Star chief football writer was held came with way Roy Hodgson and Steven Gerrard preceded an England press conference with their own personal tributes to one of the most honest and open football writers in the country – and how their words was followed by applause from the assembled press pack. I'm told that Shaun Custis' speech on the loss of his good friend on the press plane into Krakow was similarly received.

I didn't know Danny anywhere near as well as his press colleagues but he made a real impact on my life as a teenager. Some readers might recall that I used to compile a local sports paper/magazine, called Sportscene, and flog it after games at weekends and later next to David Lloyd outside the Hammersmith End. On his way to the Craven Cottage press box, Danny stopped to pick up a copy and have a chat about how the season might unfold under Jean Tigana. I thought nothing more of it until an email popped up in my inbox encouraging me to keep writing and offering his support and assistance.

That was typical of Danny. As a lifelong Fulham fan, he was used to the ups and (more regularly) downs of football. As he grew up watching a family club where the supporters mingled with the players, he possessed none of the cynicism that sometimes creeps into the more seasoned hacks. He made the effort to keep in contact – and we walked to the Cottage together discussing team selections, tactics and the uncertainty of Fulham's historic home on more than one occasion – even though he was the Star's chief football writer and had far more important matters to attend to.

His love for the game shone through in his work too. He was a terrific reporter at the Hull Daily Mail, where he made his first foray into journalism after studying at the University of Hull, and also covered the Midlands football scene for the Birmingham Evening Mail. He moved to London to join the Daily Star and spent time on the Sunday Mirror as well. The Star's decision to award him their prized football position in 2000, at the age of just 28 (when aspiring journalists are still regarded as mere pups), was inspired. Danny cultivated relationships with players, managers and those who worked behind the scenes in football and was rewarded because he was trustworthy, a rare quality in these times when exclusives explode across the internet with little regard for their accuracy.

Danny's work still stands the test of time. He was delighted to write the inside story of Fulham's first season in the top flight, which is well worth a read if you've not come across it before. Danny's genuine nature was never compromised by his rise to media prominence and, unlike many of the journalists who offer their thoughts on our game, he never forgot he was the voice of the match-going fan.

Danny's encouragement was one of the main motivations for me to work closely with Nick Bylund to found this website back in 2003. One of his emails to me told me to 'take your passion into whatever you do'. I didn't know him well, but I simply tried to follow his example. Football – and society – are poorer places without him. My thoughts are with Danny's family and friends during this difficult time.

If you would like to donate to Maggie's Centres, in memory of Danny Fullbrook, you can do so via JustGiving.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/06/my-memories-of-danny-fullbrook/?

WhiteJC

National boss: Fulham star can be replaced by Sunderland or Wolves ace

Giovanni Trapattoni believes Damien Duff is set to announce his international retirement

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni believes that Damien Duff is set to retire from international football after picking up his 100th cap in the defeat to Italy on Monday.

The likes of Richard Dunne are also tipped to retire but, while the Italian does not want to lose the Aston Villa man, he believes that the 33-year-old Duff can be replaced by Sunderland's James McClean or Wolves' Stephen Hunt.

"Sure, there is a possibility that he will speak to his family, but in this moment we need Dunne again," Trap said.

"We don't have another like him. Maybe we have options in place of Damien Duff, but with Dunne, we need him in his position."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/national_boss_fulham_star_can_be_replaced_by_sunderland_or_wolves_ace_1_1417176?

WhiteJC

Manager Martin Jol reveals Fulham tour of China

Hidden deeply within his full length interview with FulTime magazine, Fulham's official magazine, Martin Jol has stated that Fulham will be playing three matches in China as part of their pre-season preparations.

With games against Wycombe Wanderers and Charlton Athletic already announced, it is likely that the three fixtures that Jol speaks of will take place in early to mid July, making for, as it stands, a five game pre-season.

"Our pre-season fixtures include three games in China," said Jol. "That will be an interesting experience.

"It's a long way to go and play, but having gone to South Korea with Tottenham we actually went on to have a good season, so I don't think it's a bad thing."

Just when will we pay a visit to America?

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/21/3105289/manager-martin-jol-reveals-pre-season-fulham-tour-of-china-july?

WhiteJC

Pogrebnyak set to join Reading FC

READING FC look to have beaten a string of Premier League clubs to the signing of Russian striker Pavel Pogrebnyak.

Fulham, Aston Villa and West Ham were all interested in securing the services of the highly-rated hitman.

But the 28-year-old is thought to have passed a medical at the Madejski and now looks set to sign today (Thursday), subject to gaining a work permit.

Contrary to reports earlier in the week, though, it is believed Reading will not smash their wage structure by paying the forward £65,000 a week.

They will instead look to offer the Russian international, who is a free agent after his deal at German side VFB Stuttgart expired, a four-year deal in the region of £30,000.

That would make him the highest paid player in Reading's history and usher in the new era under Russian owner Anton Zingarevich.

Pogrebnyak has just returned from Euro 2012 where he only played the final 18 minutes of Russia's disappointing campaign.

And his representative Oleg Artemov confirmed that the striker is a wanted man, saying: "We're not just holding talks with Reading. There are other English clubs too."

Royals look to be leading the race for his signature though, with manager Brian McDermott working overtime to bolster his squad for their return to the Premier League.

"We got Garath McCleary from Forest and are down the road a wee bit as far as other signings we might make," he said.

"As soon as the names come out we'll let fans know. We'll wait and see but a lot is done in July. Nick (Hammond, director of football) is working hard on that and speaking to Anton regularly."

Pogrebnyak hit the headlines last season while on loan from Stuttgart at Fulham, where he netted six goals in 12 matches.

Although he planned to stay on at Craven Cottage, he was unable to agree a deal, with manager Martin Jol repeatedly unwillingly to match his wage demands.

And he now looks set for a move to the Madejski, where he could be joined by experienced Hull City midfielder Robert Koren.

Voted Tigers' Player of the Year last season, Koren has been a long-term target of McDermott's and the player's agent, Zoran Krneta, admitted he is aware of the interest from the Premier League new boys.

"There has been a long-term admiration by Brian McDermott for Robert. He tried six years ago to buy Robert, but he joined West Brom.

"Obviously, if there was an offer from Reading then that would be something Robert would think over seriously," he commented.

"But Hull have just appointed a new manager and I am sure Robert will want to come back from his holiday and see what happens."

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/articles/2012/06/21/60441-pogrebnyak-set-to-join-reading-fc/?

WhiteJC

Fulham match posters now available for download

You can download a PDF version [LINK=/media-centre/downloads/fixtures-posters/category/8-match-posters-2012-13.html?download=52:fulham-match-poster-11-8-12]here[/LINK], or a JPG version [LINK=/media-centre/downloads/fixtures-posters/category/8-match-posters-2012-13.html?download=51:fulham-match-poster-11-8-12]here[/LINK].

You can also confirm your attendance at the Facebook event, by [LINK=https://www.facebook.com/events/391663287548070/]clicking here[/LINK].

http://www.walthamforest-fc.co.uk/2-news/club-news/576-fulham-match-posters-now-available-for-download.html?

WhiteJC

Jol faces fight to keep starlet

Fulham are bracing themselves for an improved bid from Galatasaray for starlet Kerim Frei after snubbing an initial £1million offer.

The 18-year-old is thought to be a big part of boss Martin Jol's first-team plans at Craven Cottage after an impressive debut season in which he made 25 appearances for the Londoners.

But Frei, who recently switched national team allegiances from Switzerland to Turkey, where his father hails from, has also alerted Galatasaray by his form last term.

Fulham have rejected the Turkish giants' opening offer, but reports claim they will step up their interest with a fresh £2million bid in the near future.

However, Jol, who handed Frei a new deal extension to keep him with the Cottagers until 2015, with the option of a further year, has no intentions of allowing Frei to leave without a real fight.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-faces-fight-to-keep-starlet-1439895.html?

WhiteJC

Junior Club Day Winners

This season's Junior Club Day winners, Goldsworth Park Rangers, were invited to Motspur Park to take part in a two-hour training session with our Fulham Football Club Academy coaches during half-term.

All Surrey FA Clubs who had achieved Charter Standard status were invited along to the Fulham v Wigan Athletic fixture back in April with close to 1,000 junior players, managers and parents taking up a special offer on tickets in the Putney End to witness a 2-1 Fulham win.

As always, there was a reward for the club which sold the most tickets for April's encounter and Goldsworth Park Rangers were presented with a signed Fulham shirt by Huw Jennings (Academy Director) and the one and only Billy the Badger on the pitch at half-time.

All junior supporters from Goldsworth Park Rangers who attended the game were treated to a training session during the half-term break.

Derek Bradley, Fulham FC Academy Coach said:

"I was impressed with the technical and emotional level of the group and it was clear that they have received very good coaching from their coaches in the core values of technical excellence."

Lorraine Walton, Goldsworth Park Rangers Club Secretary said:

"All of us who attended the training session, players, managers and parents, thought it was a fantastic experience - the Fulham coaches were absolutely great and really encouraging to all the players. A massive thank you to everyone involved."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/June/JuniorClubDayWinners.aspx?#ixzz1yRK3CdKy

WhiteJC

Trabzonspor president on Burak Yilmaz: "Fulham want him and we shall now see"

The president of Turksih side Trabzonspor has admitted that Fulham retain an interest in their striker, Burak Yilmaz, and that a deal is potentially imminent.

Martin Jol has been heavily linked with the forward, ever since rumours first began to circulate of his availability in the January transfer window. Since then, Yilmaz has continued to prove his worth to his club and has now pitched in with 32 goals in the Turkish Super Lig. In any competition, that is an amount that turns heads.

That has proven the case as Fulham are not the only ones on his trail:

"Lazio, Tottenham and Fulham want him and we shall now see," said the Turkish side's president, Sadir Sener.

"We have a roadmap for this and we want this done."

Interest doesn't stop with this trio, however, with Manchester United, Arsenal and West Ham United also following the player's fortunes. Yilmaz himself, though, only made one thing clear - his intention to play for a big, European side:

"I dream of a big European club," Yilmaz said.

"I have talked with the technical staff and president Sener and I told them that my dream is to grow as a player.

"We talked for a long time and everything was calm, like a child turning to his father.

"We will soon know my future and I hope it will be a good club where I play, but I do say thanks to everyone at Trabzonspor."

It's certainly an outlandish analogy but maybe Fulham can be the new father figure he seeks. Just so long as he returns our unconditional love.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/21/3105495/trabzonspor-president-on-burak-yilmaz-fulham-want-him-and-we-shall?

WhiteJC

Pogrebnyak agrees Reading deal
Russian striker expected to sign for Premier League new boys in the next 24 hours in a move that will make him comfortably the highest paid player in the club's history

Reading are set to clinch the signing of Pavel Pogrebnyak within the next 24 hours after agreeing a £12 million package, Goal.com can reveal.

The Russian striker, who is a free agent, has agreed a four-year contract to join the Premier League new boys, worth £60,000-a-week.

Goal.com understands that the terms of the deal are both twice as long and twice as financially rewarding as the two-year, £30,000-a-week contract proposed by Fulham.

Pogrebnyak has passed a medical at the Madejski Stadium and will sign for Reading subject to gaining a work permit.

He will become comfortably the highest paid player in Reading's history in a move that shatters the club's wage structure and is also a huge statement of intent under the new ownership of Russian tycoon Anton Zingarevich.

Pogrebnyak's impending switch has come as a blow to Fulham, who tried to sign the 28-year-old on a permanent deal following an impressive loan spell in the second half of last season that yielded six goals in 12 matches.

The striker, who has returned from Euro 2012 after playing only the final 18 minutes of Russia's failed campaign, is available on a free transfer after his contract with Stuttgart expired this month.

The German club wanted £3million for Pogrebnyak in January but Fulham were unable to agree a deal as the transfer deadline ticked down and will now have to switch their attention elsewhere after losing out on the player altogether. 

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/06/21/3190734/pogrebnyak-agrees-reading-deal?