watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We were expecting this wasn’t we?

Started by Admin, June 21, 2012, 09:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

The changes I mean. Everyone seems a little scared that we're losing our players like Johnson, Pog, Murphy and even Lewington as a coach. We might even see others get released this summer in the likes of Chris Baird.

Bottom line is how long can Fulham survive as a club relying on players like Murphy and Johnson? Eventually, these players will get old, lose their legs then we'd really be in trouble.

I get what people are saying about Murphy and yes, he'd still be great as an impact player but this season, he won't stand up to many 90 minutes games, the guy is 1 month older than me and will be 35 in September. I've also heard that he's been up to Blackburn and spoken to Steve Keen about a possible player / coach role and this seems to be his preferred destination, not QPR.

At the end of the day, Martin Jol came with a 3 years plan and he did say that his main objective was to lower the average age of the squad. He obviously didn't do it in the first year, he'd be mad to, but I think the changes will be rung this season.

Fulham as a club are well run behind scenes and I think with Martin Jol will come a new way of playing, new way of coaching and a new breed of players. We're not stupid, if we're letting players like Murphy, Johnson and the Pog leave then we've got definite replacements coming in.

I'd like to say a big thanks to the Roy Hodgson years and thank players like Murphy, Johnson, Dempsey, Baird, Etuhu and even Zamora at times for their efforts in making us the club we are today but.. we're moving on, we're evolving under Martin Jol and the future will be bright. We'll see a new, slick, attacking minded Fulham with younger players and more flair.

Let QPR laugh because we'll be laughing the longest!!     

twang

Well put. Although I really hope you're wrong about Baird.

AlFayedsChequebook

Good post. Sums up most of my thoughts.

It is hard letting go of favourite players and ones who have been pivotal to success, but ultimately it had to happen sooner or later.

I really hope Murphy stays, but if he goes we will survive. Lots of people will say we dont look as good without Murphy, and that is very true. But at some point this was going to happen - better under our control than losing key players to injury and having to change on the hoof.

Oi, Admin, when is this signing you promised us happening?  :dft011:

The Rock

I am concerned we aren't linked with more players. I the few rumours I've seen - it seems they are a class above thankfully and players that mainly the top teams in Europe are after. I just wish there was some more chatter about who might be replacing 1/2 our team.

LBNo11

...quality post and telling it like it is Guv. I also like AFC's comment "But at some point this was going to happen - better under our control than losing key players to injury and having to change on the hoof".

It is all inevitable and it will be hard for us to bear as fans who have become comfortable with the veteran stalwarts, and it will be equally hard to bear as results may suffer initially as the new team finds it's collective feet.

Hopefully we can recruit some quality players of the 25/26 year age group to bring on the kids along the remaining veterans, thus keeping things stable. If we can finish 12th to 14th during the transition then it will be a momentous achievement...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

dont stand me down

I agree to some extent Admin.my concern is who will Jol replace Danny with,if you judge him on his signings I'm not sure you can say any of them have really done well?-Riise looked better in the 2nd half of the season.For me his best signing looked to be Grygera.I hope Jol has got this one right,my gut feeling is Murphy had another season in him maybe 2..but I've been wrong before and will be again I'm sure.

Lighthouse

I was expecting a life of pain and suffering. But there is always hope that the odd good rumour may happen. As it happens life is pretty much as bad as expected. We know the players will go. We expect Dempsey and Dembele to leave. But like everyone else there is always hope that we will start the season with the odd good new player. May even have the odd forward. Or are as usual are we just going to have a last minute loan signing from The Peoples Republic of Neverheardofit and find our hopes and dreams in putrid tatters by our shoeless feet.

So a bit of good news would come in handy sooner rather than later. Just saying
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RidgeRider

Quote from: dont stand me down on June 21, 2012, 10:40:39 PM
I agree to some extent Admin.my concern is who will Jol replace Danny with,if you judge him on his signings I'm not sure you can say any of them have really done well?-Riise looked better in the 2nd half of the season.For me his best signing looked to be Grygera.I hope Jol has got this one right,my gut feeling is Murphy had another season in him maybe 2..but I've been wrong before and will be again I'm sure.

Diarra & Pog were both good signings. Many of the others were very young so we won't know how they will pan out yet. I agree on Riise and Gygera. So for me, he made 4 signings that made an impact this season and several more we just don't know yet.

SG

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 21, 2012, 10:52:25 PM
I was expecting a life of pain and suffering. But there is always hope that the odd good rumour may happen. As it happens life is pretty much as bad as expected. We know the players will go. We expect Dempsey and Dembele to leave. But like everyone else there is always hope that we will start the season with the odd good new player. May even have the odd forward. Or are as usual are we just going to have a last minute loan signing from The Peoples Republic of Neverheardofit and find our hopes and dreams in putrid tatters by our shoeless feet.

So a bit of good news would come in handy sooner rather than later. Just saying

Where is Blingo when you need him to provide the positive viewpoint  :dft012: