https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

McBride & Wembley FC

Started by os5889, June 21, 2012, 09:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18534739

Terry Venables' Wembley FC recruit former stars for FA Cup

Non-league Wembley FC have recruited former internationals Ray Parlour, Martin Keown, Graeme Le Saux, Claudio Caniggia and Brian McBride to play in their FA Cup campaign this season.

The north London side have hired David Seaman as goalkeeping coach and former England boss Terry Venables as technical advisor.

Parlour, 39, said: "I've always believed grassroots football is essential to the lifeblood of the game.
"So I jumped at the chance."

All five players have come out of retirement to play for Wembley FC, who are in the ninth tier of English football. The club have agreed a sponsorship deal with Budweiser, which is in the first of a three-year deal as sponsor of the FA Cup.
International caps

Wembley FC's six new recruits have won 310 caps between them:

96 caps - Brian McBride (USA)

75 caps - David Seaman (England)

50 caps - Claudio Caniggia (Argentina)

43 caps - Martin Keown (England)

36 caps - Graeme Le Saux (England)

10 caps - Ray Parlour (England)

"Basically the idea is to get Wembley FC to Wembley Stadium, which you can see from here, by winning the cup," said Venables.

The trials and tribulations of the club will be filmed as part of a TV documentary.

Goalkeeper David Seaman, midfielder Ray Parlour, and defender Martin Keown all played for more than a decade with Arsenal, making 405, 339 and 311 appearances respectively.

The trio won the league title on three occasions and Seaman and Parlour both won four FA Cups and a League Cup, while Keown won a hat-trick of FA Cups.

"These guys do it for the love of football," added Seaman.

"It means so much for them and this opportunity is fantastic. It gives them the chance to see what it's like as a footballer, the training they do and the coaching they get and they've got Terry Venables as their manager - doesn't get much better than that."

Age range
David Seaman - 48
Martin Keown - 45
Claudio Caniggia - 45
Graeme Le Saux - 43
Brian McBride - 40
Ray Parlour - 39

Former Blackburn and Chelsea left-back Le Saux won a Premier League winner's medal with Rovers in 1995 and the FA Cup and League Cup while at Stamford Bridge.

Former Argentina striker Caniggia played for 10 different clubs, including spells at Dundee and Glasgow Rangers towards the end of his career.

McBride has already worked for an England manager, having captained Fulham under Roy Hodgson. The American striker scored 40 goals in 150 appearances for the Cottagers. He also played for Preston and Everton.

Wembley FC manager Ian Bates said: "A year ago we were playing in front of an empty grandstand and the clubhouse was falling down. Now the investment means great times are waiting for Wembley FC and we can't wait to kick off our FA Cup campaign."

Despite Budweiser sponsoring both the Cup and Wembley FC, the FA is comfortable with the company's involvement because the two arrangements are separate sponsorship deals and no rules have been broken regarding a conflict of interest.

The Rock

It appears this article is legitimate. I think.

SCFulhmFan

Hopefully the documentary will be available on air in the States

jarv

McBride captained Fulham under RH. Really :032:

AmericanJames

Quote from: jarv on June 22, 2012, 12:02:51 AM
McBride captained Fulham under RH. Really :032:

I believe so, when he came back from injury in the great escape campaign
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

The Doctor

Had you asked me, I'd have said that Parlour was much older than McBride.  Just goes to show what an amazing condition he must be keeping himself in.  It'll be well funny, some non-leaguer thinking "Right we'll hit these ponces hard and show 'em what real football is" only to have McBride owning them in every department.

Someone raised the point on TIFF yesterday that this must be costing Budweiser a fair bit...I guess they're going to recoup a bit of the money through the documentary.  Must remember to keep an eye out for that

leonffc

Apparently the legend that is Brian McBride is turning out for Wembley FC in a preliminary FA cup round at Langford FC.
I seem to remember some scheme where a few stars have signed up for Wembley for some reason.
Anyway, Langford is in Bedfordshire, about 3 minutes from my work / 15 from home so I'm gonna try and get along to pay homage  065.gif
Anyone else in the area / going?

BedsFFC

Hey, Leon, you are absolutely having a laugh?? McGod at Langford? My Bedford Panthers have had some ding dong battles with them over last two seasons. What about that friendly? (I'll mail you)

leonffc

I got too excited. It's at Wembleys place   :doh:

But it is on ESPN

leonffc

Oh and yeah, we'll try and sort something. We're at the Flitwick tournament on Saturday 1st but don't think we've got anything else on yet. My 'head coach' is away and then I'm away from the 18th though.

HatterDon

Stop by The Boot and have a pint. My first "competitive" football was there MANY years ago. It seems that several members of the previous season's club were deemed Not Fit For Duty and they were trying to set up an alternate team. I joined, practiced a few times, and then everybody forgot about it and got drunk. Fun times -- more than 40 years ago.

Anyhow, stop by The Boot and have a pint. I did many, many, many times.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

HatterDon

Quote from: HatterDon on August 10, 2012, 10:12:33 PM
Stop by The Boot and have a pint. My first "competitive" football was there MANY years ago. It seems that several members of the previous season's club were deemed Not Fit For Duty and they were trying to set up an alternate team. I joined, practiced a few times, and then everybody forgot about it and got drunk. Fun times -- more than 40 years ago.

Anyhow, stop by The Boot and have a pint. I did many, many, many times.

Damn, I must really read ALL the posts before I reply. Like Leon, I got a little excited there.

leonffc

I think the Boot is now a restaraunt. It shut as a pub years ago and has been an Indian, posh nosh place etc. I'm not even sure what it is now but I'll have a look next time I go by.

HatterDon

Quote from: leonffc on August 10, 2012, 10:27:31 PM
I think the Boot is now a restaraunt. It shut as a pub years ago and has been an Indian, posh nosh place etc. I'm not even sure what it is now but I'll have a look next time I go by.

Thanks. As long as there's a Fox and Hounds in Old Warden, a Black Horse in Ireland, a Five Bells in Henlow, a Bridge in Shefford, and a White Horse in Southill, I'll be okay. The times they are a'chang'n.

leonffc

Quote from: HatterDon on August 10, 2012, 11:18:51 PM
Quote from: leonffc on August 10, 2012, 10:27:31 PM

Thanks. As long as there's a Fox and Hounds in Old Warden, a Black Horse in Ireland, a Five Bells in Henlow, a Bridge in Shefford, and a White Horse in Southill, I'll be okay. The times they are a'chang'n.

yep they're all still there (hare & hounds Old warden - but I know you've been away a while, I still get it muddled now).
The boot is indeed now a restaraunt come wine bar.

My colleague is a local from those parts and was just laughing at how all the yanks used to go in the Black Horse when they first arrived and would be slaughtered after one pint as they weren't used to English beer.

zander

For anyone out there looking for a stream or don't have espn the game will also be shown on facebook at facebook.com/budweiseruk

God The Mechanic

Budweiser have already been mentioned about 45 times by Craig Burley, kinda obnoxious imo :P

Fernhurst

McGod just missed a free header !!
He looks very fit and slimmer than when he was playing for us.

I played in the Combined Counties League but never came across a goalie as tubby as Wembleys.

Wembley 2-1 up but Langfords young team may still have chance as the old Pro's tire.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

michaelread

really, really enjoying this. Some of those blokes look like they belong in the league I play in...haha. Brilliant fun.

Fernhurst

Wembley currently just ahead 3-2
15 mins to go and still a right royal laugh.
Le Saux and Parlour both subbed injured and now doubtful for any possible replay!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.