watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lewington Close To Leaving Fulham

Started by White Noise, June 23, 2012, 08:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusive/2012/06/23/3194525/fa-reach-agreement-with-fulham-for-ray-lewington-to-join-england-

FA reach agreement with Fulham for Ray Lewington to join England full-time

Roy Hodgson's trusted assistant looks set to link up with the Three Lions on a permanent basis after joining from the west Londoners initially for Euro 2012

Jun 23, 2012 7:16:00 AM

Getty Images

EXCLUSIVE

By Wayne Veysey ¦ Chief Correspondent

The Football Association has reached an agreement with Fulham for Ray Lewington to join the England coaching staff full-time, Goal.com can reveal.

The governing body will pay off Lewington's rolling contract with the Premier League club to bring to an end his seven-year spell in west London.

Sources have told Goal.com that negotiations are now complete and Lewington should be shortly confirmed as the third permanent member of the backroom team.

The FA announced on May 4 that Lewington had been appointed Roy Hodgson's No.2 for Euro 2012 on a short-term contract 24 hours after Goal.com revealed that the governing body had made an official approach to Fulham.

Hodgson was always keen for his right-hand man during his three-year spell as Fulham manager to join him on a full-time basis.

However, the FA had to tread carefully because of the sensibilities involved in Lewington being employed by a Premier League club.

There was not the same concern with Gary Neville, who signed a four-year contract to be part of Hodgson's coaching team last month, although the former Manchester United player will continue his punditry duties with Sky Sports.

Lewington has coached at almost every level during two lengthy periods on the Fulham coaching staff and is currently the club's Head of Coaching, with particular emphasis on developing young players.

He re-joined Fulham in 2005 after spells as manager at Watford and Brentford but feels the opportunity to work for the national team is too good to turn down.

Burt

Can't blame him really, its a good opportunity at a national level.

The place will seem weird without him, but at least there seems to be a robust infrastructure under him (i.e. it shouldn't come tumbling down).

I just hope Kit Symons doesn't go full-time on the Wales gig he currently has.

The Doctor

If he goes, then it will certainly be with my best wishes.  Great to see that someone who's spent more time than most paying his dues is getting a shot at the very pinnacle of his profession.

I don't know why but a have a nagging feeling that it won't be the last we see of Lewington at Fulham

CravenCottager

Good luck to him if true. Richly deserved.
"The first 90 minutes are the most important".

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Burt on June 23, 2012, 09:02:25 AM
Can't blame him really, its a good opportunity at a national level.

The place will seem weird without him, but at least there seems to be a robust infrastructure under him (i.e. it shouldn't come tumbling down).

I just hope Kit Symons doesn't go full-time on the Wales gig he currently has.

And Billy Mac has a part time international job as well. I hope both of them get a more secure contract with us as losing them would have more impact than either AJ or Danny M if indeed Jol is consolidating from the foundations upwards. I hope, if true, the Danny move to Blackburn works out as that inevitably looks like a player coch role. A move to QPR is embarassing really and I could'nt bear it if a fourth ex Fulham player was out there to score against us next season. Of course Etuhu, Baird and possibly Kelly could all add to that list.

General

I can imagine his heart is with Fulham to the point that whatever he learns and whatever contacts he makes will only ever benefit Fulham in the long run. He's Fulham through and through and it's great to see Roy taking him with him. Fulham men leading England is quite the sight.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Good Luck to him,  it probably was not easy for him with Hughes and his Possy and then Jol and Dick.
He is back with his old pal. 
Who would have thought after Sven The Sleaze, Wally The Brolly, Boring Boring Capello  there are now  two thoroughly decent,   Fulham made,  London boys in charge of England.
Order has been restored to the mad house 

Walsh

MasterHaynes

cebu

Best wishes to you, Ray Lew!  :wine:

The Bronsons

England *must* win this Euro thing now, so we can get a big banner for next season pointing out that FULHAM won it: our ex-manager, our head coach, our European 2010 system. Altogether now:

UEFA Euros, we won it one time...

Fernhurst

A congratulatory thread for Ray Lew is well overdue.

I felt enormous pride in seeing the official England team squad photo prior to the start of The Euros.
The Fulham link at the very top is marvelous.

Roy was our most successful manager since Alec Stock but was courted by one of the big boys, Ray Lewington however has been an integral part of our club for thirty odd years.

Many many congratulations to you and your Family Ray. Top bloke now at the top of his career ladder.

Someone remind me of the day Ray decided to come out of retirement because the team were playing so poorly.... Was it Ashford Town in the FA cup?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.