https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Captain Hangeland?

Started by Jack Fulham, June 24, 2012, 11:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Fulham

JBH

Basil

Still need to sign an extension, one year to go is it not?
Way things are going Frei could be our skipper by August, oh no that's right he is off to Turkey..

FFC Norway

I guess Hangeland signs an extension during the summer.

zzamora

Hangeland has been captain whenever Smurph has gone off this season, so I can see him being captain. Good choice too. Fantastic professional, on and off the field.

VicHalomsLovechild

Berserker

Could be a bit awkward for Jol to pick somebody if not Hangleland after he has already performed in the role. Mind you Mark S has done it previously, but i would imagine it's a bit tricky being captain and goalie
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Bassey the warrior

For me yes. He leads by example.

NogoodBoyo

Not really, Mrs. Berserker.  In yesterday's quarter finals twixt France and Spain both sides were captained by their goalies.  Mind you, France could have done with a bit more motivating bluster in the outfield.
Nogood "capitain goalie, isit" Boyo

MisfitKid

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Snibbo

Don't think he's vocal enough - there've been odd occasions where the team needed a bloody good bellowing at (which Murph used to do fairly regularly), but Hangers, as captain, never seemed to do it. Great player, great vice-captain.

earlbeatty

It has to be him or Schwarzer............interesting times ahead, what will Clint and Moussa think now that the Captain has been sold??

EB

The King

Quote from: Snibbo on June 25, 2012, 03:40:59 AM
Don't think he's vocal enough - there've been odd occasions where the team needed a bloody good bellowing at (which Murph used to do fairly regularly), but Hangers, as captain, never seemed to do it. Great player, great vice-captain.

This.

Oiseau

Quote from: Snibbo on June 25, 2012, 03:40:59 AM

He's quite shouty here... (from the 10 minute mark.)

"Tunnel Cam"

Although, I agree, he doesn't always have quite the same shouty-ness as Murphy on the pitch. Then again, Kompany isn't always that shouty either and he's an incredible leader. Perhaps it'll come to him once he's settled down with the armband?
Really hope that he signs an extension soon. I'd love him to be captain.

HatterDon

Quote from: earlbeatty on June 25, 2012, 02:39:50 PM
It has to be him or Schwarzer............interesting times ahead, what will Clint and Moussa think now that the Captain has been sold??

EB

They're professionals; it won't bother them. Clint's had 5 managers so far and it's always business as usual.

The real question about "who's next" will be 'what role will he play?' Will the new captain be Jol's spy or will he be independent and take an active part in tactical decision-making. Many bosses want a version of themselves out there. Many want someone combative and brave enough to confront the boss [out of sight, of course] if it will benefit the club. I frankly don't know what Jol has had in the past as captains. It's going to be interesting, that's for sure.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MOR :

Burt

At risk of being controversial, whilst I have no doubt he about his professionalism and role-model qualities, for me a club captain also needs to "put it about a bit" - be vocal, cajole and push, inspire, lead etc. and I am not sure that being captain will play to Brede's strengths.

The role needs an on-field presence that is much more than just physical presence...

Oiseau

^ How do you feel about Duff as captain? His name has been thrown about on Twitter as a possible replacement. Hangeland is my personal preference but Duff could be a good fit...?

ffc73

I think it will be Brede but it would Diarra for me.

Quality player, been there, done it and not afraid to tell people what he thinks.  Remember Diarra giving Dempsey a right mouthful after Clint had allowed Siguardson to run unopposed from inside his own half to score his second in the 0-3 drubbing.  Cannot see Brede doing that when it is required